Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Slash running with sc10

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 08:24 PM
FoamyVictim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Slash running with sc10

ORIGINAL: fusebmx13

ORIGINAL: FoamyVictim

If you can make one jump out of five, it's not the truck, its your driving. The Vast Superiority in handling of the SC10 in that vid, is NOT because of the motor system. Its the chassis, driver and track.
I am not talking on a track. I am talking distance. It is not possible to jump the slash more than 55 feet, otherwise it just catches and floats on its lid. I know how to jump dude, I have jumped my stampede 60 feet doing a backflip landing on all fours.

My point here is that just because it is AE does not mean it is blessed by the gods. Sure the CG is lower but that is not going to help the huge body. Explain to me how you can make a sc10 jump just as far without doing the same thing. That is like buying 2 different brand kites that are the same exact shape and just saying that one flies better just because of the brand. That is pointless. I know for sure that the sc10 is better in handling and all, but there is just no way they are that far apart in the jumping category.
LOL, It's obvious you are NOT a racer. Jump 50 ft? distance or height?... do you mean up a huge ramp or something? The original post was about RACING the new SC10 in the same class with the Slash, not bashing. If you want to bash, then the Slash is a great toy for you. If you want a race truck, the AE will be better suited for that purpose.

"Sure the CG is lower but that is not going to help the huge body"

Did you watch the same video? AFAIK, there's only one official video of the SC10. In that video, the truck is racing around the track just like a good T4. That's not a trick, it's not possessed by god, it's SUPERIOR ENGINEERING, plain and simple. I've never seen a Slash handle like that, because they aren't designed to. They are toys.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:48 PM
Access

Did you watch the same video? AFAIK, there's only one official video of the SC10. In that video, the truck is racing around the track just like a good T4. That's not a trick, it's not possessed by god, it's SUPERIOR ENGINEERING, plain and simple. I've never seen a Slash handle like that, because they aren't designed to. They are toys.
Give me a videocam and a video editing program and enough takes and I bet you I could make a slash look like a real racer too... there's the edited-out or transparent string trick, there's the frame-by-frame 'manual animation' trick, and so on. There's a lot of special effects that anyone with a little bit of know-how and enough time can do. Don't trust what you see on video,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZmZpVHkAwI

is an example, do you think he was really throwing a fireball at the car? No, it's an edited effect. It was really a rock, and they edited it to make it look like a fireball. If you want something closer to RC, look at the differences between the summit videos Traxxas put out compared to the real-life videos posted by people after the truck came out.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:00 PM
supamagician

What is the transparent string trick?
Old 03-04-2009, 09:34 PM
Access

Suspending objects from transparent strings, or real strings that are edited out through digital video editing. Or using strings in some other fashion, they don't necessarily need to be hanging or vertical. You can also do the reverse, for instance to fake a jump use a 'truck-on-a-rod', and then edit out the rod afterwards.

Don't forget about things like chroma-keying which are commonplace in the industry,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chroma_key
where the car may actually be driven on a different surface than it is pictured on in the video.

There's a lot of different tricks you can do and they are not rocket science, many people have access to them now with digital video editing software.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:39 PM
Tricksligger

it's SUPERIOR ENGINEERING, plain and simple. I've never seen a Slash handle like that, because they aren't designed to. They are toys.

So the SC10 is a superior engineering machine and the Slash is a toy?

Old 03-04-2009, 11:03 PM
Barber420
My Feedback: (1)

You're jumping 55' with a Slash? Do you run a 3.5 turn motor on 3S or something?
Old 03-04-2009, 11:20 PM
FairTax4me

50 feet isn't all that far. Build the right ramp and a stock one could do that on an 8 cell pack.

LOL, It's obvious you are NOT a racer. Jump 50 ft? distance or height?... do you mean up a huge ramp or something? The original post was about RACING the new SC10 in the same class with the Slash, not bashing. If you want to bash, then the Slash is a great toy for you. If you want a race truck, the AE will be better suited for that purpose.

You missed the point of what he was trying to say. Both trucks have HUGE bodies. There-fore, both trucks will be kites when they're in the air. Doesn't matter who made the truck. Once the body gets air under it, its goin' for a cruise, and from then on you won't have any control of where or how its gonna land. His argument isn't about handling when it's on the ground, its about what it does when its in the air, and he thinks that both will act pretty much the same.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:50 PM
ramp4ge

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the truck is racing around the track just like a good T4.
Except it's NOT a T4. That's been my argument all along. Why do we want another T4 with a huge body on it that PRETENDS to drive like a Short Course truck? It doesn't. It drives JUST LIKE A T4. A stadium truck. That's nothing new, that's nothing amazing, that's not even fun anymore. That's not what the Slash class is all about. This truck is not Slash competition on the race-level because it's not a Slash. It's a T4 with a big body that wants to pretend it's a Slash. A sheep in wolve's clothing. I'm just afraid people won't realize that the SC10 isn't a Short Course truckexcept in looksuntil it's succeeded in killing off the Slash class.

You can call the SC10 whatever you want, but at the end of the day it's just an elongated T4 that drives like a T4 and lacks all of the charm that makes the Slash a Short Course truck. All of it. Except the looks.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:59 PM
FairTax4me

Can we argue the other way too? The Slash is an elongated stampede, or a jacked up Rustler. What gives the Slash its silly/fun handling characteristics has to do with the springs and the weight of the oil in the shocks. The higher CG plays a part too, but you can counter that to a point with the right springs and oil.
You could do the opposite with the SC10, give it nice long shocks with light weight oil and dual rate springs, I bet it would handle like a Slash.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:06 AM
ramp4ge

It would, but then it wouldn't "Drive around the track like a nice T4", and all these people would lose interest because that "Superior engineering" would be put to waste.

If superior engineering results in a truck that handles nothing like it's namesake yet is somehow "better", then I don't know what to think anymore..
Old 03-05-2009, 12:14 AM
Chris_RC

Ive been reading this thread and have a couple comments I would like to factor into this discussion.
ORIGINAL: fusebmx13

ORIGINAL: rcnitrohead

A race truck takes the same amount if not more abuse than a basher..
There is no way possible man. Do you even know what a true "basher" is? My friend has a gt2 which is the same basic platform and it is weak compared to my slash or rustler. That truck broke every time we drove it.
For 1/10, all RTRs seem to be more durable than kits. BUT with 1/8, ALL 1/8 kits/race rollers are WAY more durable than RTRs. The reason of this is becuase alot of people race on bascially BMX style tracks like [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oc_2Q2Wk5w]THIS[/link] track. I can see both of your points though.

I do agree with FoamyVictim to a point though. The SC10 is just great engineering. It handles worlds beyond the slash. The slash CAN be considered a toy. I mean it has waterproof electronics for the people who like to throw it to h3l! (creative! [8D]) and back and like to throw it in pools and do very childish things to it. It can be a race truck though, slash is an extremely fun class to run just because it handles extremely bad.

And there is an EXTREMELY easy fix for that "kite" thing peple were talking about. Just duct tape the body into the chassis and you should not have this problem again.

For the people who didnt see the SC10 video at OCRC, here it is, [link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29gHN7jiX_M[/link]. Even though there is no slash video on that layout, when I raced on that layout slash's handled nothing like that, even when a bunch of pro drivers like Mike Truhe came in to OCRC to race in this slash 5 hour endurance main.

To each, it's own.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:32 AM
Barber420
My Feedback: (1)

Just watched the video again, and it looks a lot like the real life short course, or CORR, racing I watch on TV. Main issue in the video is that the surface of that track is nothing like a CORR track. A CORR track is a lot more loose, that track was almost like asphalt it was so hard packed. It was pitching n rolling in the corners though, just like the real thing.

Back to the, an SC10 is just a T4 argument; my thoughts when I first laid eyes on the slash were that it was a slightly modded Stampede. I also, realize that the SC10 is a slightly modded T4. Both trucks aren't anything original. They're both just slight redesigns of a predecessor so they could be made to handle differently enough to suit a different purpose.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:56 AM
ramp4ge

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMl9OhIuhso

Handling of these trucks far more resembles a Slash then what I see in the SC10 video. Of course, it looks like a high-grip track, but that brings us to another question..

Why are we comparing the SC10's handling on a high-grip surface to the Slash's handling on that same surface when neither vehicle is designed to run on this surface?

Where's the video of the SC10 in the loose stuff, doing what a CORR truck should?
Old 03-05-2009, 02:05 AM
ElectricGuy007

ORIGINAL: Chris_RC
Even though there is no slash video on that layout, when I raced on that layout slash's handled nothing like that, even when a bunch of pro drivers like Mike Truhe came in to OCRC to race in this slash 5 hour endurance main.

To each, it's own.
Wow 5 hours, I wonder how many people burned up thier motor's running that long, had to have a couple spare Titan motors on hand.
So OCRC is your local track huh? Didnt know that, that track has some nice jumps too!

Back on topic, comparing the Desert Truck to the SC10 is understandable, but comparing the slash to the SC10...
Take me back to what Druss said some time before, a bunch of rotwheilers and a greyhound.
These trucks shouldn't be run together.

Old 03-05-2009, 02:56 AM
ftt4maniac

Race the sc10 on a dragstrip with the megatech dragster, who will win.

Race the megatech dragster on a slash course, who will win.

I own 2 slashes and love them, will never sell. I am also highly partial to AE. But i gotta tell ya, this thread should be filmed an d produced as a soap opera. A whole bunch of people arguing over senseless things. I got sucked in and i am sure many would.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:57 AM
ftt4maniac

Race the sc10 on a dragstrip with the megatech dragster, who will win.

Race the megatech dragster on a slash course, who will win.

I own 2 slashes and love them, will never sell. I am also highly partial to AE. But i gotta tell ya, this thread should be filmed an d produced as a soap opera. A whole bunch of people arguing over senseless things. I got sucked in and i am sure many would.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:49 AM
Tricksligger

ORIGINAL: ramp4ge

on a high-grip surface to the Slash's handling on that same surface when neither vehicle is designed to run on this surface?

Where's the video of the SC10 in the loose stuff, doing what a CORR truck should?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30h-l3dupOA&NR=1

Looks alot like a slash driving around with heavier shock oil. (less body roll)

I have moved my body roll rods to the upper position with 50wt oil and it looks just like that sc10 driving around.
I will get some video of my slash on the track, it looks just like that sc10.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:51 AM
mufflerbearing

The slash CAN be considered a toy. I mean it has waterproof electronics for the people who like to throw it to h3l! (creative! [8D] ) and back and like to throw it in pools and do very childish things to it.
THe slash is a HOBBY GRADE truck just like the SC10.Why anyone would consider is a "toy" RC is beyond me. Because it is waterproof? The traxxas waterproof trucks were the best thing to hit the RC market in a long time.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:12 AM
Tricksligger

ORIGINAL: mufflerbearing

THe slash is a HOBBY GRADE truck just like the SC10.Why anyone would consider is a "toy" RC is beyond me. Because it is waterproof? The traxxas waterproof trucks were the best thing to hit the RC market in a long time.
They are the same type of people you would see on a video game forum saying "The PS3 is high-tech gaming machine and the xbox 360 is for kids and soccer moms."

The same people youd see on a car forum saying "Ford sucks!! Chevys are the best!! and my cousin is my favorite girlfriend!!".

They sometimes like to go to "blueisthebestcolor.com" forum and say "red is a far superior color!!"

There will always be these types. Best you can do is ignore it. Ive been in rc's for 18 years from slot cars to elec/nitro and I have a slash. I had NO idea it was a toy.
I have a blast tweaking and racing my slash I run in the "Spec toy class". We race for lolipops!![8D]

These are my opinions and under no circumstance should be taken seriously!![sm=wink_smile.gif]
Old 03-05-2009, 08:52 AM
supamagician

I stopped posting because of the toy comment. That really ticked me off.

I honestly think that a slash and an sc10 that have the same motor/esc/lipo setup would race, I think the slash could keep up if not win.

The reason is the driver. For one, one could be better but given they are equal drivers, it depends on how they set it up. If the Slash's suspension, wheels etc. are more dialed into the track, then it will handle better and win.

Honestly to me, this conversation seems like y'all would be saying that xray buggies have to run in their own class because they are too good for all the other buggies. A buggy is a buggy, you have losi, associated, duratrax, hotbodies, etc. etc. running in the same class and clearly some are better than others but every now and then, you might see a raze win.

I think it should be the same with the corr trucks (unless of course it is a spec class)
Old 03-05-2009, 10:37 AM
Access

ORIGINAL: supamagician
The reason is the driver. For one, one could be better but given they are equal drivers, it depends on how they set it up. If the Slash's suspension, wheels etc. are more dialed into the track, then it will handle better and win.
Have you tried to race a Rustler competitively in the ST class? It's easy to make the old "it's the driver" argument but sometimes the difference is just too great. The idea at most club slash races is to keep the slashes close to stock anyways, not a lot of mods.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:53 AM
FoamyVictim

Look, I'm sure in the Magical Mystical World of you imagination, that video is some how "Rigged" to make it look better than it is. It's not. The truck is a stretched T4, and will out handle the traxxas in the right hands, period.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:59 AM
FoamyVictim

ORIGINAL: Tricksligger

it's SUPERIOR ENGINEERING, plain and simple. I've never seen a Slash handle like that, because they aren't designed to. They are toys.

So the SC10 is a superior engineering machine and the Slash is a toy?

Yes it is. That's what bashing is, playing with toys. Racing requires, skill, tactics and engineering. That's not what traxxas is about. They make toys for kids to play with, nothing more. You can run them in a race, but as soon as a real race car hits the track, the traxxas is clearly a toy. You guys can argue all you want, but there are no Traxxas vehicles of any kind winning big races against Losi, AE, Xray, Mugen, Hot Bodies, Serpent... well, you get the point. Traxxas builds toys, the other guys build race cars.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:01 AM
FoamyVictim

ORIGINAL: FairTax4me

50 feet isn't all that far. Build the right ramp and a stock one could do that on an 8 cell pack.

You missed the point of what he was trying to say. Both trucks have HUGE bodies. There-fore, both trucks will be kites when they're in the air. Doesn't matter who made the truck. Once the body gets air under it, its goin' for a cruise, and from then on you won't have any control of where or how its gonna land. His argument isn't about handling when it's on the ground, its about what it does when its in the air, and he thinks that both will act pretty much the same.
Yes, I get that. That's NOT what the AE is for. The AE is race bred, not a toy like the Slash.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:03 AM
FoamyVictim

ORIGINAL: ramp4ge

the truck is racing around the track just like a good T4.
Except it's NOT a T4. That's been my argument all along. Why do we want another T4 with a huge body on it that PRETENDS to drive like a Short Course truck? It doesn't. It drives JUST LIKE A T4. A stadium truck. That's nothing new, that's nothing amazing, that's not even fun anymore. That's not what the Slash class is all about. This truck is not Slash competition on the race-level because it's not a Slash. It's a T4 with a big body that wants to pretend it's a Slash. A sheep in wolve's clothing. I'm just afraid people won't realize that the SC10 isn't a Short Course truckexcept in looksuntil it's succeeded in killing off the Slash class.

You can call the SC10 whatever you want, but at the end of the day it's just an elongated T4 that drives like a T4 and lacks all of the charm that makes the Slash a Short Course truck. All of it. Except the looks.

LOL, Pretends? AHAHAHAHAH!!! It's FAST, and the slash ISN'T! When some kids walk up and see the SC10 FLYING around the track, then they see the Slash look like a clown car, which one do you think they'll want? The slow, pathetic one, or the racer? You get 3 guesses...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.