Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Slash running with sc10

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 11:06 AM
The Hedgehog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Slash running with sc10

The SC10 isn't allowed in the spec races over here So I bet "some kids" won't even see the SC10.

If you think the Slash is a toy you have serious issues. It is hobby grade r/c either way you look at it.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:13 AM
FoamyVictim

Hobby Grade, yes, but it's not a racer. If it were a racer, it would be designed to handle better. AE got the recipe right, for racing. If you consider poor handling "Scale" that's great, whatever floats your boat...
Old 03-05-2009, 11:14 AM
Access

here we go again, toy vs. hobby, traxxas and bashing, any other old holy wars you can dig up to try to get a rise out of people?
Old 03-05-2009, 11:16 AM
FoamyVictim

Where's that Video Editing Conspiracy Theorist?! I just watch the vid again... its ONE CONTINUOUS SHOT, no editing... he even makes a few mistakes! The truck handles AWESOME! I want one!
Old 03-05-2009, 11:18 AM
Tricksligger

Nice quadruple post there Foamybritches. Its called the edit button. Four posts become one. Its magic like the SC10.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:25 AM
FoamyVictim

Hey, you leave my undergarments out of this! I quote and respond to one post at a time, so I don't end up with a post a full page long.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:10 PM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know, for all the complaining everyone does about how poorly the Slash handles, I can't help but notice that the average lap time at my track only has mod truck leading slash spec class by a few seconds at best. Most of the mod trucks are putting out more power than our tight, loose surfaced track can absorb, and the wide tires tend to float on the surface. Meanwhile, the comparatively skinny slash tires dig through the loose stuff and the motor doesn't overwhelm traction so the truck can corner faster to make up for the slow top speed. Just an observation. Besides, I like the wallowy bouncy handling. It's easy to control and it looks like a real truck negotiating an offroad course, which stadium trucks do not. To each, his own.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:22 PM
Access

ORIGINAL: FoamyVictim
Where's that Video Editing Conspiracy Theorist?! I just watch the vid again... its ONE CONTINUOUS SHOT, no editing... he even makes a few mistakes!
Was refering to the profesionally-made video on Associated's site, not fan-made videos which were posted after my post.

Chroma Keying, editing, 'special' effects, are not conspiracy theory, these things are used in the real world by broadcasters, product advertisers, etc. How many times as a kid did you buy a product that looked great on TV but turned out to be a real let-down.

Buzzbomber, a few seconds every lap and you've lost the race... spreads can be pretty close even at the club level.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:27 PM
fusebmx13

Where's that Video Editing Conspiracy Theorist?! I just watch the vid again... its ONE CONTINUOUS SHOT, no editing... he even makes a few mistakes! The truck handles AWESOME! I want one!
That is what they want you to think .

I bet a slash with an outlaw chassis could keep up with the SC10 for sure.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:51 PM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: Access
Buzzbomber, a few seconds every lap and you've lost the race... spreads can be pretty close even at the club level.
Oh, I know that. That's why we run them in a spec class. But nobody else is comparing apples to apples, either. I bet the time gap would shrink if we allowed different rubber and an open motor and body spec on the Slash. Anyway, I'm just sick of people insinuating that the Slash handles on par with a Tamiya Grasshopper or Frog. You want to talk about poor handling? Don't get me wrong, I love my Frog, but THAT (or a Stampede, from which the Slash is derived for that matter) is poor handling, not the Slash.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:55 PM
ramp4ge

Lol.

They're all toys. My 1:1 is a toy. The SC10 is a toy, the Slash is a toy. The difference between men and boys is the size and price of their everlovin' toys.

I love you "Hardcore racers" and your superiority complex. You can give that "OMG IT'S RACE BREAD" argument all you want. That's why my "Race bread" AE's are sitting in a box in the garage while my Slash actually gets driven. A lot. My JATO got raced at my local track while my RC10GT sat in a box.

It's really funny. People like this are what give the hobby a bad name. Elitist scum, that's all there is to it. It's the same as a kid in a V6 Mustang ragging on the other kid's Civic. "LOL My Mustang is race-bread (Even tho it's a V6 Mustang...) and your car's just an econobox!!"

Keep laughing, joker. When the SC10 is released and has nowhere to race except someone's back yard, we'll see how much that "Superior engineering" comes in handy.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:55 PM
Barber420
My Feedback: (1)

I hope AE releases it in kit form. I'm sick of all of this RTR crap. Parts and components aren't as good and when they build them RTR they make them far less tunable half of the time. I don't mind if a company sells a model in RTR, but they better d@mn well give me a good kit version I can assemble and put my own electronics in too![:@] It still bugs me that I can't purchase an MGT8.0 FT kit. I know this is off topic, but I just realized it could come out as an RTR only since it's only major competition is the Slash(yes I know the Losi DT is out there too). I HATE RTR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![:@] I still wish you could only buy kits, my life would be a lot easier. I hate having to "hunt" for kit versions of cars, and LHS's only stock RTR's 'cause everyone is too lazy and/or weak to build their own RC. Man, I miss the good ol' days. IMO, it's the RTR's that add a lot of the "toy" aspect to this hobby nowadays. Now, you can go buy a car and drive it an hour later when a battery is charged not knowing a thing about it. Kind of like WalMart!
Old 03-05-2009, 01:08 PM
Access

Yeah I wish they put out kits too, but volume economics is what killed that, you can't sell a product for the same price or less that only 10% of the people in the hobby (hardcore or otherwise) would consider buying.

The 'elitist' thing isn't so much something that exists in reality as much as just an artifact of the boards. In the clubs and at the tracks, the people are pretty nice and the assorted holy wars you see online or any 'elitism' is, by and large, a non-issue.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:20 PM
ramp4ge

I re-kit all my RTRs anyway.

But the SC10 is coming as a kit-only at the moment. With no electronics.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:53 PM
FoamyVictim

"Was refering to the profesionally-made video on Associated's site, not fan-made videos which were posted after my post"

Um... this IS the official video. The truck isn't even AVAILABLE yet, so how could a fanboy make a vid? Here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29gHN7jiX_M

"That is what they want you to think .

I bet a slash with an outlaw chassis could keep up with the SC10 for sure."

What they "Want" me to believe? Jeez buddy, you're really stretching to make your case. The video clearly shows a good handling truck. The Slash pales in comparison. You can do anything you want to your Toy, it will NEVER be a race truck, or stand a chance against the SC10. We've already answered the the original poster's question. The SC10 should NOT be allowed to race against the Slash, it's just NOT FAIR to the Slash.

"Lol.

They're all toys. My 1:1 is a toy. The SC10 is a toy, the Slash is a toy. The difference between men and boys is the size and price of their everlovin' toys.

I love you "Hardcore racers" and your superiority complex. You can give that "OMG IT'S RACE BREAD" argument all you want. That's why my "Race bread" AE's are sitting in a box in the garage while my Slash actually gets driven. A lot. My JATO got raced at my local track while my RC10GT sat in a box.

It's really funny. People like this are what give the hobby a bad name. Elitist scum, that's all there is to it. It's the same as a kid in a V6 Mustang ragging on the other kid's Civic. "LOL My Mustang is race-bread (Even tho it's a V6 Mustang...) and your car's just an econobox!!"

Keep laughing, joker. When the SC10 is released and has nowhere to race except someone's back yard, we'll see how much that "Superior engineering" comes in handy."

Sounds like you're a Basher, not a Racer. It's cool, to each his own. If you call any 1:1 car a toy, you are dangerous. A race car is "Purpose Built" Sticking feathers in your butt does NOT make you a chicken. Putting a Toy on a race track doesn't make it a race car. You can call me names; most children do that when they can't win an argument. The Slash is a Toy, plain and simple.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:54 PM
Barber420
My Feedback: (1)

Good!

I'm not trying to be an "elitest", but I personally try to never buy RTR, because I don't want to buy it and drive it. I want to buy it, build it, drive it, tune it, and continue driving it. I suppose I'm going to have to bight the bullet on the MGT8.0, since you can't get a kit, but I've yet to go RTR and I'm trying not to.

A lot of people use the argument that it's cheaper to buy an RTR, but it's not really much cheaper. In a kit, especially with AE, you get superior parts over the RTR all over the place. If you were to buy the RTR and replace all of the crap parts with the good stuff it would cost you almost as much as just having gone FT in the first place. I must say, I was thrilled to see that the GT2 still comes in an FT kit. I was afraid I would have to buy one of those in RTR form too.[&:]

I also think it takes a LOT out of the hobby when buying RTR. I know you're going to break things on an RTR and have to work on it sooner or later, but that doesn't always mean the owner will work on it. I see a lot of simple fixes at the LHS, because the person that owns it bought an RTR, broke something that's a simple fix, but since they didn't build it they don't(probably scared/nervous) work on it. If you're into RC cars you really need to know how your car works, how to fix it, and how to tune it. If you're not into that aspect of it, it's really no different than going to Radio Shack and buying a car is it?

It's always hillarious when I discuss this and inevitably someone who's always owned RTR chimes in and says, "I always take them apart and put them back together before I drive it." Why? It's assembled and ready to go. That's just assanine.[&:] Their is ABSOLUTELY NO point in buying an RTR and doing that; just buy a kit in the first place!

Way off topic now though. The SC10 will rule the Slash!!!!
Old 03-05-2009, 02:02 PM
ramp4ge

I always disassemble my RTRs and replace the hardware with quality stuff. When I rebuilt my Slash, I replaced all of the stock hardware (Screws and stuff) with stainless "RC Screwz" hardware (From my JATO rebuild). I've never found the build quality of most RTRs to be what I could do myself, so I generally re-kit them. It may be assanin, but it makes things a bit easier knowing how it goes together when it's time to fix something, or fixing something *before* it breaks because it was put together/designed badly in the first place.

But that's just me. If I have a choice between the same vehicle in two trimskit and RTRI'd buy the kit every time. The Slash may be the only real exception to that rule since it actually came with decent electronics in it's RTR and I plan on using those electronics later down the road.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:12 PM
ftt4maniac

As i said before i am really sucked into this thread, but need to mention that ya,ll have said the same thing about 6 times.

No-one could possibly say what this sc10 is gonna be like, except the guy driving it in the video.

The slash without a doubt will be an icon, like the original rc10, clodbuster or t-maxx. I personally have 2 and have no intention of ever getting rid of them. I am very partial to associateds products, but in a way i hope this truck doesnt survive, because i really like the slash. The poor handling, as some say, is just another characteristic of why the truck is awesome to race. It puts more of the race in the drivers hands versus having money pay for your wins. In that i mean, the guy with the money gets the good batteries and motors and all the goodies, while the rest struggle to make what they got keep up, eventually losing interest and leaving the hobby.

Settle down everyone, we still have a lot of manufactures to copy the slash yet. Give it a year and then take the gloves off.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:38 PM
Access

What they "Want" me to believe? Jeez buddy, you're really stretching to make your case. The video clearly shows a good handling truck. The Slash pales in comparison. You can do anything you want to your Toy, it will NEVER be a race truck, or stand a chance against the SC10. We've already answered the the original poster's question. The SC10 should NOT be allowed to race against the Slash, it's just NOT FAIR to the Slash.
He was being sarcastic since you were mentioning conspiracy theories. The video is just a video. It's alone on the track with no one else to race against. Think of the subliminal message of the video... ie. "buy this... run alone... no one to race against..." etc.

BTW if I said my sister's kid thinks the B4 is 'cute' and gaggles over it "aww it's so cute, I'm going to take it home with me..." does that make it a toy too? Anyone can throw words around but they're just words. 'Toy' is relative, what's a toy to you might be something else to someone else.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:47 PM
FoamyVictim

Well, I look at it this way. A toy is something you can hand to a 3 year old, and it'll work. I'm pretty sure a 3 year old would do nothing but break a race car, it's too fragile.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:58 PM
CustomTamiyas4Life
My Feedback: (34)

ORIGINAL: fusebmx13

That is what they want you to think .

I bet a slash with an outlaw chassis could keep up with the SC10 for sure.
I'm all for the slash, but I honestly don't think a stiffer, lower centered chassis is going to make that much of a difference if the sc10 is based around a t4.

One thing I'm wondering is what is the point of this truck? It's probably designed for racing so it's not strong enough to bash like the slash can. On the other hand you can't race it anywhere because it's not allowed in slash classes or stadium truck. So, where is it's place?
Old 03-05-2009, 04:15 PM
Lilredmachine

I like all this. It's funny.

Look at my Slash:

Now what have I done to get it to this stage?

Ignoring all the superflous visual stuff, body, rims, tires, taking the front bumper off...

Shocks. That is it. Other than that, it is totally stock in terms of geometry. The shocks and the springs are the only reason the Slash handles like it does. If you install short, stiff shocks on it, you change the handling and suitability of the truck straight away. This will sit on the asphalt at about 65 with no worries about taking off.

If you want the SC10 to handle like a Slash, install some Slash shocks and springs on it (or, when you are building the kit, set it up how you want). All the body roll will come back, the wallowing, the bobble... For all it's race heritage and engineering, you can still set it up to handle like a drunken pig on heat if you want. But for this reason, it will be impossible to run a spec class because everyone will be built different, you would have to give a control shock oil, springs, motor, esc, battery etc.

The SC10 will be a far better truck. The Slash, for all it's fans, is just a Stampede with the offroad capability partially removed and a too soft suspension setup. It's not even scale, it looks like it's 1/8th in width and 1/9th in length. I became bored with mine almost instantly, having it suck totally on anything other than loose dirt got old, so figured the extra length would make for a more stable tarmac missile. It does, once the aerodynamics are sorted out.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:31 PM
86waterpumper

I like my slash, I"m not a racer, but it's nice to know I could race mine easily if I wanted to. I know the slash appeals to bashers alot too. Usually when a basher says a vehicle is pretty good at holding up that seems like praise and something to take note of. No it's not as scale as the sc8 or sc10 is, no it's not race bred or whatever. It's strong points are pretty hard to ignore though. The price is good, the esc and parts included aren't bad, the stuff is waterproof, I find even the steering servo is decent. The battery holder is well thought out and allows alot of configuration and the tranny is plenty strong. It's hard to hate much on the sc10 though, because I do applaud associated for making kits still available, and I think they make quality stuff. I don't see why more people can't just like both trucks and see their strong points, but I don't think the sc10 has much more in common with the slash than the losi desert truck does. It's kind of funny to me that there are people that like the losi desert trucks, but yet some say the slash doesn't look scale enough, just shows everyone's tastes vary I guess. One can argue scale this and that all they like, but shells can be changed pretty easier than anything else. When it comes down to how the truck DRIVES, the slash is going to be the most scale every time if you are talking about stock setups..
Old 03-05-2009, 04:52 PM
Lilredmachine

Ah yes, bring the Losi DESERT TRUCK into it. That'll be a DESERT TRUCK then. It's not the Losi CORR truck is it?

Here's a picture of what I would consider the Losi to be based on... Notice the wheels stick out of the arches by a fair amount.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64309.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	1150910  
Old 03-05-2009, 05:07 PM
fusebmx13

I am pretty sure that traxxas was not thinking nor cared about racing against AE, Losi, etc. They built the slash for a strong have fun with your friends truck. Personally to me the slash has changed my RC experience. It is just to much fun with brushless. Hardly ever breaks too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.