Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc
View Poll Results: A poll
15-20
3.03%
20-30
4.04%
30-40
35.35%
40-50
31.31%
60+
26.26%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

How fast do you wanna go?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 06:21 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How fast do you wanna go?

30-40 1/10 cuz you can control it well and they can surive most impacts, i'll keep my 40+ driving for my savage cuz if i drove ANY 1/10 that fast and put it through what my savage takes... well, uhhh this is what you'd get " OHHH hey this screw looks okay... "

the lug
Old 03-20-2009, 06:29 PM
KyoshoFTW

lol... lug...nice
Old 03-20-2009, 06:29 PM
monsterbombs

as fast as i can before a tyre blows out or it takes off. i had a touring car,cut it in half,
cut the prop shaft,devcond and bolted the thing up. 50mm shorter. fastest brushless mini cooper ever.
home made pretty much, mamba 7700kv on 2s.spun all 4 wheels at any speed.60+.(cant even use it without airport)lol
that motor is now in my evader buggy and it hauls serious *****, but everyone is right. its unmanageable
at low speed.if i want to run at a track i use my 19t.waste of power babying the mamba.
the whole point of this story was that i like seeing my buggy going nearly as fast as the touring car.on grass.
short grass.
really short grass.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:54 PM
Access

Animals have the notion of territory, an area or place that is theirs. If a rival animal steps onto their territory, the owner will be quick to defend it, with outright aggression, threats, etc.

Many people have a similar notion, except their territory is intellectual and virtual. Their territory might be a notion of how the RC hobby is to be 'played' -> what you should be doing, what you shouldn't be doing, how you should behave, etc. if you are part of the hobby. When they witness a rival playing in a fashion they deem improper, these 'verbal policemen' are quick to defend their intellectual / virtual territory, with ridicule, verbal arguments, or their own circular notions. The irony is that nothing is accomplished in this banter. For matters of speed, no one is going to change what they are doing simply b'cos someone else said "This is how it should be done! And by the way, I know better than you!"

It is one thing to say 'these are my speeds and this is why' which is what the OP was asking for. But it's pointless to go beyond that get into one of those holy wars of how fast everyone else _should_ be going. This isn't like real driving where we all have to play by similar rules (ie. go when the light is green, stop when the light is red) or people get hurt. This is a hobby and people can do whatever they want and we can all get along regardless.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:29 PM
rotor head33

gettin alittle technical huh.. haha i think yall have by far proved theat everyone loves to go bout 40
Old 03-20-2009, 08:44 PM
Chris_RC

Yay! Im still the only person who voted 15-20!
Old 03-20-2009, 08:51 PM
rotor head33

[:'(] haha chris thats cause you run on maybe a techinical track. haha i just bash and run homemade tracks i wish i had a real track to run on but im the only wannabe race. everyone down here just bashes
Old 03-20-2009, 09:05 PM
camaross427

ORIGINAL: Chris_RC

Yay! Im still the only person who voted 15-20!
15-20 is fun, if i am using my e maxx in fun off road conditions
Old 03-20-2009, 09:32 PM
Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: rotor head33

[:'(] haha chris thats cause you run on maybe a techinical track. haha i just bash and run homemade tracks i wish i had a real track to run on but im the only wannabe race. everyone down here just bashes
Yea it is a techinal track, [link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DGoRxHFEaw[/link]. I bet those went about 25mph, about what I would like to go.
Old 03-21-2009, 03:22 AM
KyoshoFTW

thanks for all the feedback guys! its interesting to hear everyones opinions
Old 03-21-2009, 09:26 AM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Access

Animals have the notion of territory, an area or place that is theirs. If a rival animal steps onto their territory, the owner will be quick to defend it, with outright aggression, threats, etc.

Many people have a similar notion, except their territory is intellectual and virtual. Their territory might be a notion of how the RC hobby is to be 'played' -> what you should be doing, what you shouldn't be doing, how you should behave, etc. if you are part of the hobby. When they witness a rival playing in a fashion they deem improper, these 'verbal policemen' are quick to defend their intellectual / virtual territory, with ridicule, verbal arguments, or their own circular notions. The irony is that nothing is accomplished in this banter. For matters of speed, no one is going to change what they are doing simply b'cos someone else said "This is how it should be done! And by the way, I know better than you!"

It is one thing to say 'these are my speeds and this is why' which is what the OP was asking for. But it's pointless to go beyond that get into one of those holy wars of how fast everyone else _should_ be going. This isn't like real driving where we all have to play by similar rules (ie. go when the light is green, stop when the light is red) or people get hurt. This is a hobby and people can do whatever they want and we can all get along regardless.
Very good insight...You are a smart man
This all started with Me suggesting a havoc for somebody and Fusebmx stating that bashers dont run sensored systems because they want real power etc...I said most people dont use or need 60+ mph etc...And YZ450 Agreed with Fusebmx and then RobertBell agreed with me....Yz said if we did a poll most people would pick 60+...So here we are....LOL
Funny how it has snowballed.But i think it has open some eyes and proved a point somewhat.

Cheers
Old 03-21-2009, 09:36 AM
SacramentoJoe

Interesting….very interesting……and very philosophical……..and funny, too!

A year ago, I thought 20 mph was fine. As I am learning to drive, now I think 30 is fine and 40 is too fast. Hopefully, someday, I’ll be good enough to drive 50 mph, but I would need a road car, and LiPo, and a new transmitter, and a bigger track, and, and, and, and, and
Old 03-21-2009, 11:37 AM
Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: redfisher1974

ORIGINAL: Access

Very good insight...You are a smart man
This all started with Me suggesting a havoc for somebody and Fusebmx stating that bashers dont run sensored systems because they want real power etc...I said most people dont use or need 60+ mph etc...And YZ450 Agreed with Fusebmx and then RobertBell agreed with me....Yz said if we did a poll most people would pick 60+...So here we are....LOL
Funny how it has snowballed.But i think it has open some eyes and proved a point somewhat.

Cheers
Holy batman!!! I could of SWORN that when I seen robertbell6 with an e-firestorm and hovak havoc that this was really redfisher! I didnt knwo you were 2 different people.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:43 AM
camaross427

Wait i found a flaw in this poll...i have a rusty vxl, and depending on what battery i use i can go from 20-60+...lol

HOnestley i think it mostly depends on if you bash or race, who you bath with, and where you bash/race
Old 03-21-2009, 11:55 AM
traxxas4ever

i like 60+ I agree that you CAN ALMAYS JUST GO SLOWER. Take it easy on the controller if you want. I dont race and i mostly use my xxx-t for blazing fast speed runs. When i go offroad i do turn it down a notch. 60 MPH is usless for offroad. Your just going to bust the thing apart. But you want the ability to go 60mph. I live blowing past nitro cars and trucks
Old 03-21-2009, 01:11 PM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Holy batman!!! I could of SWORN that when I seen robertbell6 with an e-firestorm and hovak havoc that this was really redfisher! I didnt knwo you were 2 different people.
Yeah but i talked him into going with the havoc after he had problems with two other systems....Now he's happy.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:30 PM
electricrcdude

Realisticly, you can only get 60+ onroad. Both my T4 and Firestorm go around 45 (clocked), and they get very hard to handle offroad. Think about it, when you want to do a speed run, do you not do it on the road? My NTC3 is another thing. It will go 60 top speed, but it can handle that. I can turn it at that speed and it will not flip over.
Old 03-21-2009, 02:35 PM
Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: electricrcdude

Realisticly, you can only get 60+ onroad. Both my T4 and Firestorm go around 45 (clocked), and they get very hard to handle offroad. Think about it, when you want to do a speed run, do you not do it on the road? My NTC3 is another thing. It will go 60 top speed, but it can handle that. I can turn it at that speed and it will not flip over.
That is what ive been trying to say. There is no point in going that fast with the possibility of flipping over. You guys have to remember, these are OFFROAD cars, not onroad. They were made to be driven onroad and the suspension and c.o.g. is for offroad, so it is hard to drive on speed runs.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:51 PM
monsterbombs

i really need to get a video camera. i only do speed runs on grass. so if i flip/cartwheel the truck wont get as
damaged. ive actually been thinking of grass drag racing. for off road trucks. people with fast brushless trucks
wanting to do speed runs/drag race. ive modded the suspension for this speed.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:36 PM
muti369

for racing i use a 5.5 lrp x-11 brushless with tc esc and 2s lipo but for bashing i have my ild t4 setup with an lrp 3.0 x-12 motor tekin r1 pro esc and 7 cell orion 5300 nimh packs speeds im not going to say because i dont know for sure but the 5.5 im running 14 78 gearing with regulare race tires and the 3.0 is 12/78 with 30 series badlands so its really fast
Old 03-22-2009, 05:36 PM
Lilredmachine

ORIGINAL: Lilredmachine

60+ of course. A car that can do 60+ can do all the other speeds as well. Duh.

/thread

It's called throttle control people, just because it's there doesn't mean you have to use it. Saying that you only need to do 40mph because anything over that is uncontrollable doesn't make you a bigger man, it just means you're a crap driver who isn't capable of moving their finger in small increments.

Getting a slash to 65 with that shell on it... now that's an accomplishment.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:18 PM
kahnen

Putting around half throttle all the time will quickly raise your esc temps and not good for your esc. A couple of excepts from Castles web page:

http://www.castlecreations.com/suppo...eral.html#gen6
"A speed controller controls power to the motor by turning full throttle current on and off really fast, 11 to 13 thousand times per second (Pulse Width Modulation or PWM). The percentage of each on/off pulse that is off compared to the part that is on determines how much power the motor sees. I.E. With a pulse that is 50% off and 50% on the motor will see 50% power*. Because each on pulse is 100% of full throttle current, a system set to pull 20 amps at full throttle through a Phoenix 10 will not last if you are throttled back to the point where you only see 10 amps on a wattmeter. The ESC in this case is still switching 20 amps, which it can’t do for long. Actually it is worse than the simple example above. Because an electric motor will always to try to pull as much power as is available to get to its rpm (volts times Kv), when you are running the motor below its Kv speed by switching power on an off, each on pulse will actually be way over the full throttle amp draw. That is why ESCs work harder at partial throttle than full throttle and why we underrate our ESCs. We underrate not so they can handle more current than their rating at full throttle, but so they can handle extended partial throttle operation with no problems."

Always size the controller and the batteries such that they are happy pulsing along at the maximum throttle.

"Don't take chances and try to run at half throttle, because you are only fooling yourself. Half throttle is really full throttle; it is just pulsed thousands of times a second so that the motor rpm is effectively raised or lowered."
http://www.castlecreations.com/suppo...on/speedo.html

Setting up your car to run 60+mph then just putting it around the driveway all the time and drag racing every third weekend with that nitro owner who thinks can kick you butt is not doing your esc any favors.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:34 PM
Krazy Chicken

30-40, that is imo the best speed for average off road conditions, now when i go camping out were their is nothing around, 20-30 will do it because their is tones of rocks that will not move out of the way, and cause you to brake stufff. but it is fun to have the power of 30-40 to get that extra power to slide it around more.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:39 PM
camaross427

ORIGINAL: kahnen

Putting around half throttle all the time will quickly raise your esc temps and not good for your esc. A couple of excepts from Castles web page:

http://www.castlecreations.com/suppo...eral.html#gen6
"A speed controller controls power to the motor by turning full throttle current on and off really fast, 11 to 13 thousand times per second (Pulse Width Modulation or PWM). The percentage of each on/off pulse that is off compared to the part that is on determines how much power the motor sees. I.E. With a pulse that is 50% off and 50% on the motor will see 50% power*. Because each on pulse is 100% of full throttle current, a system set to pull 20 amps at full throttle through a Phoenix 10 will not last if you are throttled back to the point where you only see 10 amps on a wattmeter. The ESC in this case is still switching 20 amps, which it can’t do for long. Actually it is worse than the simple example above. Because an electric motor will always to try to pull as much power as is available to get to its rpm (volts times Kv), when you are running the motor below its Kv speed by switching power on an off, each on pulse will actually be way over the full throttle amp draw. That is why ESCs work harder at partial throttle than full throttle and why we underrate our ESCs. We underrate not so they can handle more current than their rating at full throttle, but so they can handle extended partial throttle operation with no problems."

Always size the controller and the batteries such that they are happy pulsing along at the maximum throttle.

"Don't take chances and try to run at half throttle, because you are only fooling yourself. Half throttle is really full throttle; it is just pulsed thousands of times a second so that the motor rpm is effectively raised or lowered."
http://www.castlecreations.com/suppo...on/speedo.html

Setting up your car to run 60+mph then just putting it around the driveway all the time and drag racing every third weekend with that nitro owner who thinks can kick you butt is not doing your esc any favors.
HUh, that's interesting...thanks for the info! learn something new everyday lol
Old 03-22-2009, 06:42 PM
monsterbombs

i can second this. my mamba max7700 will do 50-60 all day in wide open spaces. but if i take it out the back,
yard halfway into the pack,the esc gets so hot it nearly melts the capacitors. i rigged up a fan and a cooling
box for the esc.but it is designed purely and simply for the speed hungry and going fast. if i had the money i
would get a 5700mamba for bashing/racing.

as for being a crap driver if your going over 40. um no.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.