Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Brushless temp over threshold = replace?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 08:35 PM
biomanz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brushless temp over threshold = replace?

I read somewhere that once a brushless motor's temp goes over 200"F then it'll go downhill from there - it'll get hotter and hotter the more I use it. I had a Sidewinder 4600kv motor that might have ran too hot a few times (can't touch it more than a second) and since I haven't run it for a while I forgot how fast it was the first time I used it. But is it true that once it reaches 200' or so it's doomed?

I used my BL on a stock Stampede, with a 19t pinion and 90t Spur, with many stop and go runs.

I'm gonna get a 16 and 17t pinion along with a temperature reader. Anyone have any experience or comments on http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXEMG5&P=ML or any cheaper alternatives?
Old 04-05-2009, 09:35 PM
FairTax4me

Default RE: Brushless temp over threshold = replace?

For what you're using it for a cheap temp reader like that will be just fine.

It's not good for a motor to get above 200, but it won't absolutely kill it unless you continue to run it for a long period of time. The best you ca do to combat heat is to gear down. If worse comes to worse get a heat sink for the motor.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:10 PM
biomanz

Bump for other thoughts on this. Oh yes, forgot about a heatsink. Hope there's one narrow enough for a Stampede.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:18 PM
Access

ORIGINAL: biomanz
Bump for other thoughts on this. Oh yes, forgot about a heatsink. Hope there's one narrow enough for a Stampede.
Worst case open the motor up and replace the rotor, that is the part that would likely suffer damage from over-temperature.
I think the CM36 is listed as a ROAR-approved motor by now so the new versions should be fully serviceable if that was kept in as a requirement for ROAR approval.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:50 PM
NovakTwo

Many brushless motor companies (including Novak) will replace your non-warranty motor for a fixed price.

Cheaper than purchasing a new motor.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:18 PM
04DarkShadowGT

Just an fyi if you have an autozone near you. You can get a kick butt temp gun for $20. It reads up to 600F and has a cool lazer that shows you where you are pointing.

Its also quite good to torture cats and dogs because they like to chase it.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:25 PM
lee172

work on your biggest problem (the gearing) followed by heatsink/fan ect...
Old 04-06-2009, 08:54 PM
FairTax4me

ORIGINAL: biomanz

You can cut out part of the housing around the motor if you need to to fit a heat sink on. Just don't cut off too much or it will weaken the motor mount plate. But You should always try to fix heat issues by changing gearing first. A heat sink should really be a last resort.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:51 PM
biomanz

Thx for the feedback. I'll stick a smaller pinion once I fix the Stampede and monitor the temp (accurately for once). Good to know about the fixed replacement price for BL motors.