Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

ezrun brushless systems

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 06:16 PM
MTboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ezrun brushless systems

Sorry I dont understand what you mean by 9 settings.. Is these setting in the ESC? Stock???
Old 04-10-2009, 06:20 PM
yaleforscale
Banned

ORIGINAL: GreenRacer

ORIGINAL: yaleforscale

My rc10t seems punchy with stock settings (3), and there are 9 settings so..... mmm now theres a thought wonder what would happen if i ramped up the punch . any body messed with this ???.
Oh I'm sure that would = melted spur gear.
enough said .lol.. setting 3 it is ..
Old 04-10-2009, 06:34 PM
kahnen

LOL, yeah most likely will strip something in the diff or spur. I run mine on setting 2 (normal) and still can wheelie if I run the slipper to tight.

Thats cool about the track. I run at hobby shop track but the course is pretty technical and small so the owner lets us "run what ya brung" kind of thing, as long as you fit the class(buggy, 4wd, stadium truck, etc.) Also because it helps keep attendance up if the races aren't to limited on what you can race with, it's become a small club and I sure he doesn't want it to loose more people, in these tough times.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:06 PM
GreenRacer
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: MTboy

Sorry I dont understand what you mean by 9 settings.. Is these setting in the ESC? Stock???
Yes. It comes with a programming card that has 9 different settings for punch(DRRS start mode). Default is 3. The higher you go the more immediate power it sends through the motor when you stab the throttle.
Old 04-18-2009, 04:48 AM
chevyderek72

ORIGINAL: kahnen

That should be ok.

What I mean by "true" 540 motor is that the 9t, 10t, 13t etc. motors with the finned cans have 380 sized rotors inside them. Where the 5.5t, 8.5t, 13.5t, etc motors with the " .5" have 540 sized rotors inside them.

Wait could you clarify. So if its a solid numer like 10, then its a 380 technically, But if its say 10.5 then its a real 540?
Old 04-18-2009, 12:06 PM
FieroMan121
My Feedback: (2)

well i ordered my buggy and cant wait to shoot a vid of its first run, its gonna be sweet! its gonna be running the yeah racing 9 turn (same thing as the ez-run system) ill post it up as soon as the buggy comes in
Old 04-18-2009, 01:05 PM
kahnen

ORIGINAL: chevyderek72
Wait could you clarify. So if its a solid numer like 10, then its a 380 technically, But if its say 10.5 then its a real 540?

You got it.
Old 04-18-2009, 01:29 PM
Frankfka

the thing I like its that its so cheap!!gonna order mine in a few weeks
Old 04-18-2009, 04:41 PM
chevyderek72

You got it.
Well im torn then, because there is the ezrun system, and then redcats brushless system that doesnt have the fins. So im guessing that the ezrun is a 380 and the redcat is 540. Im guessing there will be a pretty noticeable difference in power then?
Old 04-18-2009, 05:52 PM
scarletboa
My Feedback: (1)

You got it.

i bought a redcat volcano epx pro with that brushless system in it. the motor is a 3300kv and is very torquey. i didn't run anything more than 6 cell ni-mh in fear of ruining the diffs. i could hear them click when wheeying in grass.

it is overpriced though. i would just go for the ezrun system.
Well im torn then, because there is the ezrun system, and then redcats brushless system that doesnt have the fins. So im guessing that the ezrun is a 380 and the redcat is 540. Im guessing there will be a pretty noticeable difference in power then?
Old 04-18-2009, 08:04 PM
kahnen

I don't believe there a big difference, if any. Here are some vids I found of some of the popular sytems in the about the same setup as I'm running. I don't think you could tell the difference, if the specs wasn't posted.

Mine:9t(4300kv) xxx-t, 2s lipo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsZFzwcqQOE
or in a Tamiya stadium blitzer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfw3LFP-1hM

Others:
xxx-t with sidewinder 4600kv 2s lipo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PagYtGyGAmA

B-4 with 8.5t with 6- 4200 nimh
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXLVtJCZvlQ

Speed-t with 2s lipo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNmp6rGED7I
Old 04-18-2009, 09:03 PM
Joe K
My Feedback: (1)

If your gonna go racing with it, better check with track. If they follow Roar rules closely, only sensored motors are alllowed. Some tracks follow Roar "loosely" so they might be allowed
OK i have a stupid question what is a sensored motor? What dose it sensore?
Old 04-18-2009, 09:34 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

Hmm you think that the esc would fit in the DB-01? I have my doubts but...
Old 04-18-2009, 11:31 PM
chevyderek72

ORIGINAL: scarletboa

You got it.

i bought a redcat volcano epx pro with that brushless system in it. the motor is a 3300kv and is very torquey. i didn't run anything more than 6 cell ni-mh in fear of ruining the diffs. i could hear them click when wheeying in grass.

it is overpriced though. i would just go for the ezrun system.

Ya i actually have the volcano right now. But i can get the redcats brushless for 110, and i get it locally (i live 30 minutes from redcat themselves) so i dont pay shipping. I was checkin out places and it does look like it would be much cheaper that 110 shipped. I havent looked that hard, but nitrorcx.com has them for 80-90. Whats the cheapest place that has them?
Old 04-19-2009, 12:37 AM
bhcvc

I have the EZRun 60A ESC with the EZRun 17.5T 2400kV motor. I also have the EZRun 80A and 150A setups, but this thread seems to be about the smaller-sized EZRuns. I had the 60A w/ 17.5T 2400kV motor in my E-Savage which weighs 7lbs without batteries and it moved it fine. Both the motor and ESC were just warm. Top speed wasn't amazing, but that's because of the gearing. I'd estimate the top speed at around 32mph, a bit faster than stock (bone stock E-Sav goes 26mph with stock NiMHs).
Since then I moved the setup to a Kyosho DBX 1/10 buggy/truggy which weighs around 5lbs (with batteries) and it moves it very easily. The ESC stays cool, but the motor is running hot so I think I'm undergearing it quite a bit. Tops out around 32-35mph (estimated), but accelerates pretty well. The 60A ESC is very small. The only things that I found difficult to mount were the external caps and the switch, but if you have zip ties and double-sided tape, that can be figured out. Overall, I really like the EZRun setups. One thing is that I would avoid the 380-sized finned motors. For not much more, you can get the true 540-size motors. Also, FYI for those who don't know but the small Castle motors (the ones that come with the Sidewinder ESC) are also 380-sized internal motors in a 540-size can. They do fine for on-road cars, and even some really light 2WD buggies, but they will heat up more than a 540 pushing the same load around.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:27 AM
yaleforscale
Banned

i found retarding the timing with the program card made a big difference i use the 60 amp esc and a 3900kv motor pushing a nitro converted buggy .. it worked great but the motor did get a little hot then retarded the timing this gives more tourqe and a little less rpm default is 15deg ..i set back to zero this gave the most tourge but speed drop was to much so advanced to the next setting this worked great also alterd the punch to level 4 ..no problems since ..
Old 04-19-2009, 07:33 AM
kahnen

ORIGINAL: Joe K

If your gonna go racing with it, better check with track. If they follow Roar rules closely, only sensored motors are alllowed. Some tracks follow Roar "loosely" so they might be allowed
Brushless motors are 3 phase motors. Sensored motors have a cable that attaches to a sensored esc, it then can tell, by the sensor, what position the rotor is in. Sensorless basically just starts "firing" off current to the motor. That is one of reasons why sensorless systems tend to cog more when first starting. The esc and motor/rotor is trying to get on the same phase.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:29 PM
lam1na

@ bhcvc

you said you put your ezrun brushless into your dbx (im assuming its been converted to electric)
was it faster when it was nitro.. or as you have it now

thanks
Old 04-20-2009, 02:58 PM
sdp30

Do ezruns have a low votage cut off in the esc?
Old 04-20-2009, 03:04 PM
kahnen

Yep, programmable from none to 3.4v/per cell
Old 04-20-2009, 05:37 PM
Frankfka

ORIGINAL: Joe K

Brushless motors are 3 phase motors. Sensored motors have a cable that attaches to a sensored esc, it then can tell, by the sensor, what position the rotor is in. Sensorless basically just starts "firing" off current to the motor. That is one of reasons why sensorless systems tend to cog more when first starting. The esc and motor/rotor is trying to get on the same phase.
somewhere I heard that sensored motors are toast if they touch water
Old 04-20-2009, 06:53 PM
PlaneHeli

ORIGINAL: bhcvc

I have the EZRun 60A ESC with the EZRun 17.5T 2400kV motor. I also have the EZRun 80A and 150A setups, but this thread seems to be about the smaller-sized EZRuns. I had the 60A w/ 17.5T 2400kV motor in my E-Savage which weighs 7lbs without batteries and it moved it fine. Both the motor and ESC were just warm. Top speed wasn't amazing, but that's because of the gearing. I'd estimate the top speed at around 32mph, a bit faster than stock (bone stock E-Sav goes 26mph with stock NiMHs).
Since then I moved the setup to a Kyosho DBX 1/10 buggy/truggy which weighs around 5lbs (with batteries) and it moves it very easily. The ESC stays cool, but the motor is running hot so I think I'm undergearing it quite a bit. Tops out around 32-35mph (estimated), but accelerates pretty well. The 60A ESC is very small. The only things that I found difficult to mount were the external caps and the switch, but if you have zip ties and double-sided tape, that can be figured out. Overall, I really like the EZRun setups. One thing is that I would avoid the 380-sized finned motors. For not much more, you can get the true 540-size motors. Also, FYI for those who don't know but the small Castle motors (the ones that come with the Sidewinder ESC) are also 380-sized internal motors in a 540-size can. They do fine for on-road cars, and even some really light 2WD buggies, but they will heat up more than a 540 pushing the same load around.
Im interested to hear what the 80,120 and 150amp Ezruns are like. What would be required to run a 1/8 buggy. Ive read some are using the 60A, but I would expect 120-150A would be required for the best setup.

Im only guessing but I would expect the 540 finned cans with 380 rotor would be OK for light models, but for heavier cars that require more torque the 'true' 540 can and motor would be better.

Only way to know would be to run one of each in a heavier car to compare.

Anyone have experience with that.

I 5think its a bit misleading putting a 380 rotor in a 540 can and selling it as a 540 motor without specifying it as such IMHO.

Thanks for the info.

Cheers
Old 04-20-2009, 06:58 PM
Access

Basically they are 100% dependent on the sensor, if the sensor goes haywire, the ESC can do some really bad things, which can destroy itself, the motor, battery, etc. Just depends on the firmware and whether they think over the different scenarios, develop and test it for those, and so on. If they make too many assumptions, like that the sensor is always functioning and have no safety or timeouts for applying full power to motor coils, it could basically wipe out the whole electrical system (motor, ESC, battery) due to overcurrent.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:27 PM
bhcvc

lam1na -
honestly I don't know if it was faster nitro. I bought the DBX used and never used the nitro engine (it's for sale if anyone's interested). It's most likely faster as nitro as a nice .18 will make some good power. However, considering my ESC is just warm (barely hits mid-80s) while my motor is hot, I think I may have it geared to high and need to lower the gearing which would help pick up more top speed which might equal the playing field between the nitro and brushless setups.

PlaneHeli -
There's no EZRun 120A. The 120A is an XERun which is their sensored "race" setup. I don't even know who carries those. The EZRuns come in 35A, 60A, 80A, and 150A. The 80A and 150A are HUGE and made for 1/8 scale vehicles. The 380/540-finned motors are fine for 1/10 on-road and even some light 1/10 2WD stadium trucks. However, the true-540 (non-finned, ends in ".5T) motors would run cooler pushing a 1/10 2WD stadium truck around. For a 1/10 4WD truck, the 17.5T 2400kV 540-size motor would work fine, but needs at least 3s (better on 4s) to spin it to the proper rpms. It's a pretty torquey motor considering it's size and that it's a 2-pole.
For a 1/8 buggy, the 80A would work fine. It's the same physical size as the 150A and has some big, high-rated International Rectifier Hexfets in it (those are nice FETs). Most people like to run enough power in their 1/8 buggies and truggies that they can flip it on demand. Honestly, I think that's too much power. Not only will it kill your diffs, you'll have no steering because your front tires never touch the ground. That's not fast around a track! And you have to really control the throttle. My 1/8 truggy has the 150A with EZRun 2350kV SL3674 motor and on 3s, I sometimes lose steering and on 4s, I lose steering pretty easily because my fronts will lift enough that I can't turn. That's plenty of power for me for both bashing and track. Take note that I only run the 150A in my truggy because I wanted to test it out. The 80A (which I have in my E-Savage) will run a 1/8 truggy just fine, so it will run a 1/8 buggy easily (since it's lighter than a truggy). If you want the additional assurance that the 150A offers and don't mind the price, pick that up. But for the price, the 80A is hard to beat and IMO is plenty for a 1/8 buggy or truggy.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:01 PM
yaleforscale
Banned

not sure if this has been mentioned , but i just found out you can update the firm ware on the hobby wing esc if you have the programm box shown ,, any body know anthing about this ???? ........[8D] .....[link]http://www.hobbywing.com/english/ArticleShow.asp?ArticleID=446[/link]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.