Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Thunder Tiger Sparrowhawk XT

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 09:41 AM
kshoopman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Thunder Tiger Sparrowhawk XT

I'm still waiting on my shocks for my Sparrowhawk from ACE hobby. I've been waiting since 5-11. First they just sent shock bodies that didn't do me any good since I had to send my bad shocks in first. Very iratating. My son has given me a sidewinder 4600 kv for Fathers Day (early) that I want to put in the truck if I ever get it going again. It might just have to go in my Slash for now.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:58 AM
mail4ajo

Amain Hobbies started selling XT and XB. You might want to check on spares with them. I am happy with the buggy XB. Still not figured out the reverse issue. Who needs brakes......

Planning a brushless system soon

Old 06-29-2009, 10:46 AM
jediguru

I'm also interested in this truck. Thanks moebigslee for all the input. I'm a bit wary of purchasing only because it's TT and parts support seems to be an issue right now. I would also be putting a brushless system in it if I purchased. Has anyone run nimh with a brushless system installed in this truck? I'm not a big fan of lipos so I would be running 6 or 7 cell nimh. Thanks
Old 06-29-2009, 12:34 PM
mail4ajo

I have the buggy. My ESC got busted in 3 months after a quick run. I replaced with stock ESC, works well now. Quite slow with brushed setup. But ok for the price. Amain should carry most spares and they are similar to the sparrowhawk line of onroad cars.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:47 PM
kshoopman

I finally received my shocks from Ace Hobby after waiting since may 11th. Will try to build them tonight after work so I can drive it again this weekend. Ace Hobbys customer service IMO was terrible. Parts were available they just wouldn't send them or answer emails or phone calls. I'm going to run it a few more times with the stock motor then put my brushless motor in it.
Old 06-29-2009, 02:56 PM
jediguru

I haven't seen the parts on amain yet. Maybe they have them they just haven't updated their website. I hope they will carry the upgrades aswell. Seems like the truck could use them in a few key places. Keep us updated. I'm personally going to wait I think until amain or someone else starts carrying parts for it.
Old 07-07-2009, 02:49 PM
jediguru

Did you get your brushless setup installed yet kshoopman? How's it holding up to brushless power? Any trouble spots/weak points on the truck? keep us updated.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:22 AM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

Has anyone tried Lipo on the stock motor?
Kinda wonder how well it would run with a 5200mah 30c 2s pack
Old 07-08-2009, 10:00 AM
jediguru

I talked to amain yesterday. They are hoping to have parts in stock by the end of the month. Hopefully that's the case. They've been saying "soon" for awhile now.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:37 AM
mail4ajo

I replaced the ESC on my Buggy XB after only 3 months of driving. Reverse died first and then functions got totally screwed up. Heard the stock ESC die fast. Cheap replacement though. Indian equal of $50. Stock motor available at Indian equal of $13.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:06 PM
kshoopman

jediguru, I ran the truck this weekend with the stock motor still. I guess I'll get a few more runs on it before I replace it with the brushless system. The only problem I've had is with the shocks blowing the bottom cap off, I guess due to over filling. Overall it seems to be a very durable truck,just wish I could get more power to the front wheels. I've ordered some m3 step pin tires to see if I can get more traction.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:28 PM
patxeik

what happend with the traction on the front wheels on this car? its a problem of setup or it is a problem of the car. I want to get one but things like this dont help anything cause i dont want another crappy 2wd as my sc10, t4 or efirestomr
Old 07-08-2009, 10:08 PM
kshoopman

If you hold the truck in the air the front wheels spin just fine on throttle but if I set the front tires on the ground they won't spin,just like a 2wd truck. I'm going to dremel a flat spot on the shafts that the drive cups attach to with the set screw as advised by moebigslee. I don't know what kind of traction he is getting with his front wheels.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:25 AM
Dan H

I'm tninking of selling my Slash and getting the XT. Anyone running serious brushless power through the truck? How does the drivetrain hold up?
Old 07-14-2009, 10:53 AM
moebigslee

ORIGINAL: kshoopman

If you hold the truck in the air the front wheels spin just fine on throttle but if I set the front tires on the ground they won't spin,just like a 2wd truck. I'm going to dremel a flat spot on the shafts that the drive cups attach to with the set screw as advised by moebigslee. I don't know what kind of traction he is getting with his front wheels.
I'm getting as much traction as possible to the front wheels. In fact I've had to loosen the slipper a lot so it's more dirver friendly. Also running the slipper loose is only going to help keep the drive train working like it should. As far as people asking about "serious brushless power" I'm running a 4600kv sidewinder system on 2s and I don't think you could really use any more power than that. The thing is crazy fast on the track ,almost too fast. If your bashing and trying to hit 100mph maybe you'd want something more but for most normal driving conditions my system wil do anything you want it to. If you get too heavy on the throttle the truck just breaks traction and spins out, not matter what driving surface your on. Aside from the couple of simple mods I posted earlier (grinding flat spot for rear drive cup and putting an o-ring in the front drive cup)I haven't had to do anything to the drive train and it's been very durable. Actually the only thing I've broken on the whole truck is the rear lexan wing and I thing I'm going to replace that with the thicker plastic wing off of the tomahawk nitro truck thunder tiger makes. I was going to repalce the shocks right away but so far I haven't even had any problems with those so for now they'll stay. I'm still playing with different weight oil and preload settings in an effort to get the truck to handle the best I can. One thing that does take some getting used to is the noises the drive train makes. It's nothing like a 1/8 electric buggy but you can tell there is alot of metal on metal contact in the drive train compared most of the 4wd electric buggies that have plactic diff gears and/or belt drive. It's one of those things where I'm sure the nitro version(tomahawk) makes all the same faint little drive line noises but you'd just never hear them over the nitro engine. So far I'm very happy with my purchase. I even like the stock tires. I usually run proline bowties on the home track and thats another thing I was going to buy right away but the stockers are work very well so I'm going to keep running them until their shot.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:47 PM
Dan H

Thanks for the informative post. I plan on running a Mamba ESC with VXL motor on 3S lipo. The Sparrowhawk will purely be a basher, as I already have an 8ight-E buggy for track use. I think I may just order the XT pretty soon.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:38 PM
AMOUREDTANK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow this seems like a bad@$$ little truck. I was thinking bout getting a T4 evntually but I like the idea of 4wd a little better. Maybe it's only cuz i used the smoke cigs; but the stock red wing looks like a pack of marlboro reds LOL
Old 07-15-2009, 11:39 PM
srt10

Anyone got some pictures of there rides?
Old 07-20-2009, 09:13 AM
kshoopman

Been on vacation for a week. I finally got my 4wd working correctly. Still running my stock motor,but this truck is a blast to drive. Switched out my tires with steppins and they hook up really well. I'll probaly hold off a while before putting in my brushless motor,mainly since my track is pretty small. Still no pictures or video to post.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:47 AM
srt10

anyone with one of these trucks running lipo on the stock motor?
seams that these trucks could rip good on lipo..
Old 07-23-2009, 02:41 AM
Dan H

5000mah hardcase lipos fit this truck with no problems?
Old 07-23-2009, 04:13 PM
kshoopman

ORIGINAL: kshoopman

MTboy, I measured the battery compartment and it is L160 x W50 x H30 (mm's). Hope that helps.
If you battery will fit within these diminsions
Old 07-23-2009, 07:09 PM
Dan H

Awesome, seems like there is plenty of room. I didn't know it could handle 7 cell packs too.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:37 AM
kshoopman

Just a thought for anybody wanting to use lipo's in this truck. I wanted to see if my son's 5200 lipo would fit and i really had to squeeze it in the compartment. The problem I see is that the hold down strap won't fit with the way the wires come up thru the top of the battery. I don't use lipo ( still going with old school nicd & nimhs ) so I don't know if you can really bend those wires drastically.
I'm not sure if moebigslee is using lipo with his brushless system or not, but maybe he can chime in on the subject.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:38 PM
Dan H

Sorry for all the questions... but does anyone know if the stock ESC has a reverse lockout feature for racingt? Trying to use it in another application.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.