Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

e-maxx replacment motors?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 07:16 PM
lilcurtis
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default e-maxx replacment motors?

Hi all, been a long time since ive been on this site heh. i pulled out my original e-maxx the other day for some fun only to realize it has come time to finally replace the motors (i have since owning it over 6 or 7 years lol). should i just go ahead and get a new set of Titan 550s or is there a better option out there?

thanks!
Old 04-27-2009, 08:05 PM
ShadowKiller

Default RE: e-maxx replacment motors?

go to [link=http://kershawdesigns.com/]kershaw designs[/link] and get the 700 or 970 kit they are cheap with a huge increase in power and efficiency and can still run on an evx2 esc. i put the 700-ho motors on my 3905 maxx and love it
Old 04-27-2009, 08:17 PM
lilcurtis

whats the battery life like with those beasts in it? are they fine with the stock tranny?
Old 04-27-2009, 08:39 PM
ShadowKiller

wen i ran 2 7cell 5000mah nimh id get about 15-20 min depending on how hard i was on the throttle with 2 2s 6000 20c id get about 20-25 which isnt really any different that what i got with the titan motors. im guessing your putting them on the old maxx so id recomend instead of getting the kit buy the 700 motor plate and then the 700ho motors. they are as strong as the 970s with out any of the crazy weight they add and are a huge improvement over the regular 700s.

i broke one cvd but im pretty sure that was jsut because i beat the crap outa my truck. the stock tranny and driveline is really built pretty tough so you should be fine.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:52 PM
lilcurtis

hmm, yeah that kinda sounds like i would need to upgrade my bats and charger too if i went that route, and im not really that into it anymore lol. i always forget how much of a money sink this hobby is. i will prolly just end up going with the titans and being done with it to save on cash / headache. i run standard 3500 NiMH packs which also happen to be the max my charger can handle. def looks like a nice upgrade tho.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:54 PM
rebuilder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shadow is pointing you in the right direction..................unless you go big brushless, the kershaw 700 HO's are a serious upgrade. They are 375 watt motors.................big thrust, and a very reasonable price. They actually are as powerful as the 970's with alot less weight.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:19 PM
ShadowKiller

those batts will work with it my back up bats are these cheap 2300mah mystery brand nimh bats. the run times are just a lot shorter but honestly still about as long as i got with the titans. its the upgrade i did after i smoked my titans and i really didnt feel like goin brushless with it because of the price. one really nice thing is you can gear the heck outa those motors. im running 30p/68s which is wayyy high and after a long run they are just a lil warm when my titans would be cookin with no were near as high gearing
Old 04-27-2009, 10:04 PM
lilcurtis

hmm, well honestly i was trying to avoid spending much over $50 lol. the 700 ho would put me over $100 after getting the plate and the new pinion gears. ahh the choices.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:19 PM
ShadowKiller

oooo i see hah yea i dont know any good upgrade that cheap
Old 04-27-2009, 10:35 PM
lilcurtis

yeah i know. i hadnt planned on needing to buy anything as originally i thought i just had crud in my differentials. but after taking everything apart i realized the motor was arching and was causing the sudden lags when driving it. so i figured i would try and fix it. i rarely use it if at all, but i also am not one to buy garbage parts hehe.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:52 PM
FairTax4me

What brand of batteries do you use? Has it been a long time since they were run last? If they've been in storage as long as the truck they may need to be cycled a few times to get them back in good shape.

You could pick up a pair of Revolver 650S motors from KD and get better performance than the Titans without breaking the bank. Plus they'll drop right in place of your old motors.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:44 AM
lilcurtis

i use 2 ballistic battery packs. is there anything special required to do to cars for the swap to lipo's? im assuming they fit in the same space? i would like the get at least one more set of bats so i can run my evader at the same time as my e-maxx. or my crawler and e-maxx or what ever lol. is the only dif between lipo and NiMh the weight? sorry, like i said, ive been out of RC for a while lol.

thanks
Old 04-28-2009, 08:07 AM
rebuilder

Try these, they're 21 turn (titan is 23t), you wont have to buy a plate and you can get two for under $50 including shipping

http://cgi.ebay.com/TRAXXAS-VILLAIN-...A1%7C294%3A200
Old 04-28-2009, 09:21 AM
ShadowKiller

yea to run lipo u have to put in a low voltage cut-off to make sure they dont get to low and end up being ruined. its not hard to do you just solder it to the battery wires coming out of the esc on whatever side is powering the servos the size of the cutoff is up to how many cells your plannin on running
Old 04-28-2009, 10:02 AM
lilcurtis

lol im so conflicted! like a few months ago i was at the point where i was considering selling my 3 trucks....and now im considering dropping like $300 to repair them all. /sigh.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:39 PM
ShadowKiller

hah yeaaa the stuff gets a lil crazy fixin the things up thats why i caved and went 1/8 scale i cant seem to break the thing but honestly i cant seem to break my maxx anymore either ive moded it so much
Old 04-28-2009, 01:45 PM
mufflerbearing

You could try a pair of these:
[link]http://banebots.com/pc/MOTOR-BRUSH/M2-RS550-120[/link]

I have seen them metioned on the traxxas forums as a good stock replacement.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:50 PM
lilcurtis

anyone have a recommendation for a good charger? i want to be able to plug it into the wall without having to buy a power source if at all possible. pref i want it to be able to discharge and cycle bats.

i was thinking possibly a venom, though they are kinda spendy. (plus i didnt see anything that stated if it discharges or cycles?)
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXUAB8&P=ML

or maybe this.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXMAH9&P=ML
Old 04-28-2009, 06:10 PM
rebuilder

Here's the charger i have.........its very good in my opinion.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXTFV3&P=7
Old 04-28-2009, 06:13 PM
lilcurtis

ahh that looks perfect. thanks.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:59 AM
lilcurtis

well as luck would have it, someone was selling the new EVX 2 with 2 titans in the market place for $75 so im gonna go with that i think. Can't really beat getting an upgraded ESC and 2 motors for less that it would cost to just upgrade my motors.