Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

help in buying first 4wd buggy

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 08:59 AM
sirsomrak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help in buying first 4wd buggy

hi thre.im a begiiner and would like to try the 4wd ep buggy. i was thinking of either tamiya durga or kyosho zx5 RTR.plan to bash it,no racing.would like to noe more about their drivetrain maintenance and durability.wats ur opinion?? .plan to go brushless in future if pocket allows.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:02 AM
overrev

Default RE: help in buying first 4wd buggy

1/10 4wd buggies don't make good basher's better for racing.
Old 05-03-2009, 12:50 PM
For_The_Win

I think your better off with a 2wd stadium truck. Like the Traxxas rustler.
Old 05-03-2009, 12:53 PM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or the E-Firestorm....
Old 05-03-2009, 01:46 PM
For_The_Win

Hey redfisher. How hard is the havoc to program? im thinking about getthing on.
Old 05-03-2009, 04:48 PM
redfisher1974

The hardest part about programming it is i cant push the small button with my big fingers...I use the end of a pen...But its easy to program, everything is colour codeed you just hold the button untill the colour you want comes up then it will flash what its set at so you set it to what you want then hold down the button untill they all flash and thats it...Very easy..
Old 05-03-2009, 06:50 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

All have to say is the Durga makes an amazing basher. I have jumped it ten feet high and landed nose first and not broke anything so I dont think durability is a problem. I do almost no maintenance to my db-01. From what I have seen the durga handles brushless very well.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:12 PM
For_The_Win

ORIGINAL: redfisher1974

The hardest part about programming it is i cant push the small button with my big fingers...I use the end of a pen...But its easy to program, everything is colour codeed you just hold the button untill the colour you want comes up then it will flash what its set at so you set it to what you want then hold down the button untill they all flash and thats it...Very easy..
One more thing.. What about reverse? Is that easy to get to? Because I was looking at the instructions.. and it seems hard.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:19 PM
Budget Monty

ORIGINAL: overrev

1/10 4wd buggies don't make good basher's better for racing.

I disagree. I have had some of the most fun with 4wd buggies, and I do not race what so ever.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:23 PM
redfisher1974

ORIGINAL: For_The_Win

ORIGINAL: redfisher1974

One more thing.. What about reverse? Is that easy to get to? Because I was looking at the instructions.. and it seems hard.
Its all the same for reverse just hold the button until RED,GREEN and AMBER light up one flash for on two for off...
Old 05-03-2009, 09:49 PM
For_The_Win

So just tap the set up button?
Old 05-03-2009, 09:49 PM
overrev

Not saying there not fun just not as durable as the 2wd buggies and the 2wd dosen't make that good of a basher either. If you want to bash you really need a 1/8 scale buggy or truggy or a rustler, stampede or slash but those are not 4wd.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:59 PM
Jeremy Z

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've been thinking about the same thing.

I have a Traxxas Stampede, and it is a great basher.

But sometimes, I get to thinking about 4WD and how it would be nice not to be chasing the rear end as often on loose surfaces.

My first choice would be an [link=http://www.traxxas.com/products/electric/emaxx3905/trx_emaxx3905.htm]E-Maxx[/link] or [link=http://www.traxxas.com/products/electric/erevo5608/trx_erevo_trucks.htm]E-Revo[/link]. But I really don't like that multiple battery packs are required.

A shaft-driven, 4WD buggy would solve that problem, but then I'd lose that beautiful ground clearance I've gotten used to.

It kind of depends on where you're going to bash. If you want to have everything open to you, maybe the new [link=http://www.traxxas.com/products/electric/summit5610/trx_summit5610.htm]Summit[/link]

The [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXTDL4&P=7]Durga[/link] looks like a pretty serious racer to me.

I've always kind of liked the styling of the [link=http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id=58391]Tamiya Hotshot[/link], it was their high-end 4WD buggy back in the day. The Durga probably outperforms it, but the lack of protruding shock towers in the Hotshot is kind of neat.

If you're going toward something modern, don't overlook HPIs 4WD buggy either. (can't remember what it is called now)
Old 05-03-2009, 11:04 PM
Jeremy Z

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

From the classic Tamiya line, there's also the [link=http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id=58403]Fire Dragon[/link]. It is nice to have something un-conventional sometimes.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:24 PM
sirsomrak

ok durga is a good basher.how about the kyosho zx5? how come none of u guys mention it.is it a piece of crap? from wat i seen its shaft driven so would be quite maintanence free i guess.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:07 AM
sirsomrak

ORIGINAL: Ttam Says Blarg

All have to say is the Durga makes an amazing basher. I have jumped it ten feet high and landed nose first and not broke anything so I dont think durability is a problem. I do almost no maintenance to my db-01. From what I have seen the durga handles brushless very well.
almost no maintenance?woww.. i read tat ppl owes strip or melt the rear diffs and pulleys.quite scared though to wreck my diffs on first run if i get the durga. can u pls tell the problems u are facing with durga till today?(if u hav any).i quite favour the durga.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:25 AM
moebigslee

If you want a 4x4 buggy to bash take a look at this. I've been told most of the drive line is out of thunder tigers tomahawk nitro cars so it should be plenty durable for bashing around or even brushless power. If you read the info thunder tiger gives about the truggy version of this car it sounds like they had bashers in mind when designing it and durability was something they were also thinking about.
These vehicles are still very new so there isn't a lot of info out yet on them but they do look very promising.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ucts_id/138554
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ucts_id/138556
Old 05-04-2009, 07:32 AM
MTboy

That Sparrowhawk XT looks pretty nice and would be interested to learn more.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:49 AM
sirsomrak

wow that sparrow's specs looks nice.plus its RTR.btw,what are the zx5's major breakages???
Old 05-04-2009, 08:06 AM
The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: sirsomrak

hi thre.im a begiiner and would like to try the 4wd ep buggy. i was thinking of either tamiya durga or kyosho zx5 RTR.plan to bash it,no racing.would like to noe more about their drivetrain maintenance and durability.wats ur opinion?? .plan to go brushless in future if pocket allows.
Where would you mostly be driving? A buggy would be good choice for driving in dirt or relatively short grass. For longer grass or very rough terrain you might consider a monster truck such as Tamiya's Blackfoot xtreme or Dual hunter. Either way, I'd recomend a Tamiya kit. They're very fun to build and Tamiya's instruction are made very easy to understand. I've built many Tamiya kits and loved them all.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:55 AM
elven wizard

You will have fun with either buggy. I've had more Tamiya's than Kyosho. 4wd is a blast, and you will enjoy it greatly. Check out my 4wd's in my gallery. If you have any questions on Rc's PM me 24/7

Wizard
Old 05-04-2009, 10:16 AM
redfisher1974

ORIGINAL: For_The_Win

So just tap the set up button?
After you have held down the button to get those colours to light up you let go of the button and it will flash one or two to show you what it is set at...if you want to change it yes you just tap the button and wait for a few seconds and it will show you by flashing what you have changed it to...When you get it to where you want it you just hold the button down untill all the lights flash then let go.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:19 AM
redfisher1974

Hey Wizard i thought you were gone for good?
Old 05-04-2009, 11:36 AM
elven wizard

I did leave and my mailbox of RC questions started to pile up. I couldn't let them go unanswered. So nowadays I help people with there Rc's. I'm a sucker when it comes to assisting people, I enjoy it. [8D]
Old 05-04-2009, 12:45 PM
psb667

The hpi mt2 is a racer and not good for bashing unless you never wreck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.