Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more
Reload this Page >

Cheap durable motors...?de a thread not to long ago about

Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Cheap durable motors...?de a thread not to long ago about

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 06:50 PM
ouchx100

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheap durable motors...?de a thread not to long ago about

So I made a thread not to long ago about running my x-cellerator in the sand at the beach and how after it seemed to run a bit sluggish... well turns out that was my motor dying. I had a 19 turn komoto dragon. I only had the motor for about 2 months. Most of one month the car sat in the garage unused because I was having speed control problems.

I took it down to the hobbypeople near me and the guys there looked at it and told me most of the brushed motors have short lifespans and every once in a while you get a good one that will last a long time. How true is this?

And my other reason for making this thread, I kind of need another motor. By kind of I mean I bought this car used with an epic motor in it (I dont know which one though) but it was supposed to be dead. It ran for a few months until it died and I bough the komoto dragon. Now I was just outside running the epic and it works just fine. So I looked at the 10 turn epic while I was at hobbypeople but im wondering what else is out there in the under $50 price range that is fast and will last me. I have a brand new LRP ESC with a 10 turn motor limit.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:12 PM
midntpumkin

Default RE: Cheap durable motors...?de a thread not to long ago about

yep that is true , brushes only last so long especially the soft ones , they will give more power but need replacing sooner. i would look for a rebuildable motor so you could change brushes and springs but dont know if there in your price range of 50.00. personally i would go brushless as you never need to replace brushes and as long as you lube the bearings once in a while and make sure you dont over gear it and dont get it too hot it should last forever ...well for a while
Old 07-08-2009, 08:14 AM
traxxas4ever

i would sell the new esc or put it in another car and go brushless. brushed motors are a pain. i melted 5 brushed motors untill i decided to go brushless. its only a matter of time untill you do the same.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:51 PM
genitor

The ezrun brushless combos are pretty cheap
http://www.nitrorcx.com/ezrun-brushl...-w35a-esc.html
And ppl seem to have good results with them.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:56 PM
TIGER76

^^ good ideal

What there telling you is partly true brushed motors wear out, the lower the turn motor the quicker i found when running 11t i noticed i had to replace brushes twice as much which costs alot more your better off going for one of the cheaper BL system and have done with it,i 2nd the ezrun cos there cheap and run good
Old 07-08-2009, 07:20 PM
MonkeyFist

I'd have to agree with the guys saying go brushless. I see people saying that they can't afford to go brushless. I say you can't afford NOT to go brushless. In the long run brushless will save you money.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:05 PM
ouchx100

Im looking to go brushless hopefully by the end of the year. I wouldnt have gotten the more expensive esc if I would have know this about brushed motors. The brushless set I have been eyeing is this one:[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/post.asp?do=reply&messageID=8917228&toStyle=tm[/link]http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/701487.asp Let me know if I linked that right)
How is that for its price? At hobbypeople is $150.