Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Lipo battery cell balancing questions....

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 10:04 PM
gman1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lipo battery cell balancing questions....

Ok now, I own a HyperionEOS5i which is AC/DC (built in power supply) and i was wondering which balancer is compatible with it. Does the cell balancer plug into the charger itself or do i have to balance my cells separately? I own 2 Lipo packs which i have been running for quite a while now without using a balancer and so far I've had no problems with my packs. I have never ran my packs under 7.000 volts. My packs are an Orion and an SMC, the orion uses the pin adapter and the SMC a three prong white plug. So my question is, what do i need to purchase to get these bad boys balanced? I'd like to keep the cost down as much as possible, so if anyone can explain the process and what i need to purchase I would greatly appreciate the help. Thanks.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:24 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Lipo battery cell balancing questions....

for the SMC you can get a blinky lipo balancer i use that on my zippy flightmax packs and so far no booomy you may need an adapter for the other pack i can't help you there...

the lug
Old 09-10-2009, 10:35 PM
gman1

ORIGINAL: rclugnut10

for the SMC you can get a blinky lipo balancer i use that on my zippy flightmax packs and so far no booomy you may need an adapter for the other pack i can't help you there...

the lug
Does the Blinky balancer allow you to connect adapter plugs into it, considering that the Orion pack that i have is balanced with the pin adapter?
Old 09-10-2009, 10:43 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

yeah you should be able to get adapters for it there is plenty of room to plug them in

the lug
Old 09-10-2009, 10:45 PM
Druss

ORIGINAL: gman1

Does the Blinky balancer allow you to connect adapter plugs into it, considering that the Orion pack that i have is balanced with the pin adapter?
What pin adaptor? Like the one below? It still had a balancer tap on the end of it.

There are really 3 major types of balancers, they all have names like jst-xh... etc. but I think of them as TP/FP (thunder power / flight power), align, and hyperion / polyquest / maxamps. Those are the major ones. The align one is the most common by far as most chinese packs use them.

The blinky does not connect to plastic part of the balance taps, it is just 4 pins which slide into the balance tap with no casing. See second picture below.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11903.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	1272695   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60531.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	1272696  
Old 09-10-2009, 11:27 PM
gman1

ORIGINAL: Druss

ORIGINAL: gman1

What pin adaptor? Like the one below? It still had a balancer tap on the end of it.

There are really 3 major types of balancers, they all have names like jst-xh... etc. but I think of them as TP/FP (thunder power / flight power), align, and hyperion / polyquest / maxamps. Those are the major ones. The align one is the most common by far as most chinese packs use them.

The blinky does not connect to plastic part of the balance taps, it is just 4 pins which slide into the balance tap with no casing. See second picture below.
Ok my friend, thanks for the help. So basically what i need to order is the adapters for the pin, the blinky, and does the balance tap come with the blinky or does that need to be ordered separately?
Old 09-11-2009, 12:43 AM
Druss

The blinky is a completely different item from the balance taps. You can also get balance tap adapter for any battery to any charger.

Here is one for align to hyperion charger.

http://www.maxamps.com/HYP-0720I-ALIGN.htm
Old 09-11-2009, 06:03 PM
gman1

Does anybody know if this adapter set will be compatible: (Hyperion 2S Balance/Charger Adapter for Orion TrakPower) http://www.maxamps.com/products.php?cat=212 with this balancer? http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idproduct=7443 I hope that i set the links up properly. Note: you have to scroll down on the maxamps link in order to see the adapter that I'm talking about. Thanks guy's.