Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

The Official Traxxas 4wd Slash Thread...

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 09:14 PM
streetsports

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Official Traxxas 4wd Slash Thread...

yah just make sure you use the shrink wrap..lmao...i had the same idea when i 1st got my 4x4 only i didnt think about the shrink wrap part....was fine until i hit reverse...then it unraveled and caused a huge mess
Old 03-05-2010, 07:11 AM
MTboy

What do you guys think about just removing the clear shaft cover? Was thinking it would help let the rocks and dirt exit instead of trapping them inside.

Streetsports, I will make sure to do so. That would suck to go threw the work then that happen as soon as you hit reverse..lol
Old 03-05-2010, 09:24 AM
storytyme

I have a question in regards to the Slayden set-up. I have gone through and did everything exactly has he outlined. I am at the very end and I checked my ride height and it is very off. The front should be at 27mm and mine is at 51mm. I believed that the addition of spacers in the shocks would lower it, but it did not. Plus isn't preload (which Slayden has at 4mm for the front) the width of the spacers on the shocks? Should I short my shock lengths from the recommended 95mm in the front for example? Isn't ride height pretty important on the track? Especially if I am off by 24mm. Thoughts and suggestions are very much appreciated.............thanks!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-05-2010, 10:43 AM
overrev

The spacers will raise ride height not lower it.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:55 AM
MTboy

Are you running the same tires? That could make your height different. I would go threw your set up again, If all is like his you should be on.. But the spacers don't work by lowering unless you take them off...
Old 03-05-2010, 11:30 AM
MCSRacing
My Feedback: (2)

24mm ... 25.2mm is a inch, thats huge ride height difference. remove spacers to lower the ride height, sometimes its necessary to limit the shock length which in turn adjusts the droop. play with your setting cause what works for someone else may not be the optimal set up for your driving style.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:33 AM
storytyme

Thanks everyone for the quick replies. I will go through the set-up again and put on the tires that he was using. I'll get it figured out. Thanks for the ideas.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:28 PM
MTboy

Hey guys, I hit my LVC for the first time on my new slash. I usually time my runs and never go over 20 min. But today on my first pack I hit it. It went straight to shut down blinking red slowly. I put my pack on the charger and it read 7.60v.. Why do you think it did this. Is it normal to shut down at 7.6v?
Old 03-05-2010, 12:30 PM
ludeman

Yep!
Old 03-05-2010, 12:47 PM
MTboy

Just seems weird that I hit it..
Yesterday all 4 packs I ran, timing them for 20 min and none hit the LVC. Then I hit it after 13 min of running on the same track.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:04 PM
streetsports

vxl is faulty...pulled mine off right away....and theres no way that they set it to shut off at 3.8 volts per cell or it would kick in every time you hit full throttle....either you have a bad connection somewhere or you own a traxxas esc/motor lol
Old 03-05-2010, 01:28 PM
MTboy

ORIGINAL: streetsports

vxl is faulty...pulled mine off right away....and theres no way that they set it to shut off at 3.8 volts per cell or it would kick in every time you hit full throttle....either you have a bad connection somewhere or you own a traxxas esc/motor lol
LOL!!
Yup I have the stock VXL system..lol I'm actually shocked about it being so many people talk about how fast and good it is.. I personaly think an ezrun system is a better set up. I was planning when I ordered to pull it out and sell it but I kept hearing when I mentioned and EZrun system people saying not to and get a VXL. So I had to try it..lol

Well I hope I just lost a connection or something weird like that. I will be going out with another lipo after this one is done charging to see what happens.
Old 03-05-2010, 03:18 PM
MTboy

After another lipo it went into LVC but batt read 7.4v.
What is the VXL ESC LVC set at and only ran for 15 min. Yesterday I was running 20min. per pack and never hit the LVC, what gives???
Do I have bad lipo's? Maybe ESC?
Should I call traxxas and if so what info do they need.
Old 03-05-2010, 03:27 PM
it8ezbngrn

Ya know teh volatge drops under load. So you can't really say that its 7.4. If you discharge a nimh down to 5.4V to condition it, as soon as you remove teh load the voltage starts going back up.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:14 PM
Evader Owner 19

Duratrax sells an esc for 100 dollars rated at 75 amps. I am sure that has a normal lvc.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:10 PM
MTboy

ORIGINAL: it8ezbngrn

Ya know teh volatge drops under load. So you can't really say that its 7.4. If you discharge a nimh down to 5.4V to condition it, as soon as you remove teh load the voltage starts going back up.
So would that make this issue my lipo's or the ESC?
If it is my ESC I will call and get it replace, rip the system out and sell it. I don't think it's my batts. There charging to 8.40v and balance out fine.

I called and talked to a rep. and he told me to send it in. Said that my lipo's should be enough to run it so something must be up with the ESC since it's cutting out at different levels.
I guess I will be installing my ezrun system from my rustler till I can get this figured out.
Old 03-06-2010, 11:15 AM
it8ezbngrn

Alot of things can cause shorter run time.
This is how you could check.
1)Run it down to the LVC point. Figure out a way to attach a volmeter to your battery while its in your truck. Maybe at the balance lead. Now we need to put a load on the truck. Simulate full throtle on the ground. Maybe place ot on a smooth surface facing a wall and gun it for a second. We want the wheels to slip but have some friction also. Read what the voltmeter says while doing this.
2)Another way would be to remove the battery and attack it to a load, something that draws alot of current and then check the volts.
3) Find someone else with a VXL3-s ESC. Runs yours down to LVC then take teh battery out and put it in the other truck and see if his/hers hits LVC immediately.
Old 03-06-2010, 11:33 AM
MCSRacing

we got 3 of the VXL's and they all end up at 7.4 by the time they get to the charger.. my novak and tekin stuff are like 6.4 or so when they get on charge. look at it this way guys .. if you don't deep cycle your lipo's they will give more cycles than if they are pulled to 6.0v every time ya run em .. i know its a run time thing, but its also a cost thing over time ...

anyone figured out a fix for the front stub axles??
Old 03-07-2010, 07:41 AM
MTboy

Well after doing alot of reading and testing it turns out that the ESC just seems to cut out at 7.6-7.4.. On my short track I can run for about 13 min and it cuts out but yesterday I ran at my brothers in a bigger area but was able to get 20 min. With bashing I wasn't on the throttle as hard all the time so in turn I got a few extra min. So I think I will just deal with it till I can save and upgrade.
Yesterday morning I did a run threw before heading to my brothers to bash. I found my slipper had some melted plastic around it. So I ended up ripping the rearend off and taking a closer look. Turned out to be the input shaft (6893). Of course it also took out the bearing (5119) and the LHS only had the bearing in stock. I picked up the 10x15x4 and a 5x10x4 BB using the smaller one to go inside the 10x15x4. Two small washers on both sides and a bushing as a spacer between the spur and the two bearings. So far after 4 packs It's worked out great.
Just thought I would share with you guys my fix..
Old 03-08-2010, 11:01 AM
it8ezbngrn

Maybe you'll get some more runtime back?
Old 03-08-2010, 11:32 AM
MCSRacing

ARrrrGgggggGGg need stub axles .......... gotta race this thing!
Old 03-08-2010, 03:40 PM
MTboy

Maybe you'll get some more runtime back?
Maybe but the more I read on it it seems that everyone's ESC cuts out around there. Traxxas says its rare to have the ESC at fault that it's something binding, batteries, blah blah blah.. To me it sounds like it's more the ESC if everyone else with god knows how many different batts are being used, that and everyone is having the same issue after a few runs or less.
At anyrate I'm working on selling all my mini stuff along with my brothers. My brother wants to sell his and his sons to get 1/10th scale and build a nice track at his house.. I'm going to help with funds to make it happen..lol
Old 03-09-2010, 08:00 PM
ludeman

Finally got my Slash running again after almost 4 weeks of waiting for a stupid little plastic part that should of been made of steel in the first place. I know that Traxxas is making one but this is all I could get for now. Till then no more 3s for me. What we really need is a complete new drive shaft with cvd's. Anyway this is what running 3s lipo's did to front center outdrive
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23707.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	1394954   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37808.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	1394955  
Old 03-10-2010, 01:11 AM
it8ezbngrn

ORIGINAL: ludeman

Finally got my Slash running again after almost 4 weeks of waiting for a stupid little plastic part that should of been made of steel in the first place. I know that Traxxas is making one but this is all I could get for now. Till then no more 3s for me. What we really need is a complete new drive shaft with cvd's. Anyway this is what running 3s lipo's did to front center outdrive
That thing is plastic? Your running 3S? How is the temps. I am thinking of getting the MMM 2600KV and running 3S or 4S. I am also waiting for the next release of platnums. So just chilling. I'm all talk for now. I saw a guy use the AKA 17mm wheel adapters and they look like they may strengthen the stub axle. Hes selling a platnum on bay with a MMM. He has close ups of the AKAs installed.

I'm also thinking of building a 1/10 nitro conversion. Got my eyes on a 4x4 project truck.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:04 AM
MCSRacing

ORIGINAL: ludeman

That thing is plastic? Your running 3S? How is the temps. I am thinking of getting the MMM 2600KV and running 3S or 4S. I am also waiting for the next release of platnums. So just chilling. I'm all talk for now. I saw a guy use the AKA 17mm wheel adapters and they look like they may strengthen the stub axle. Hes selling a platnum on bay with a MMM. He has close ups of the AKAs installed.

I'm also thinking of building a 1/10 nitro conversion. Got my eyes on a 4x4 project truck.
the AKA adaptors don't help axle strength at all .. i bent all 4 axles 1st run after i put em on !!
these guys are doing cvd conversions for the 4x4 .. the fronts came available today!! http://www.fastlanemachine.net/produ...tric+Slash+4x4

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.