Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

The Official Traxxas 4wd Slash Thread...

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 08:33 AM
res3567

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Official Traxxas 4wd Slash Thread...

And then Traxxas will upgrade the Slash to compete if these new SC trucks are superior. It is a never ending battle............
Old 01-30-2011, 03:46 PM
brianjskora
My Feedback: (3)

Here are a few shots from the backyard track today with a couple slashes.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	db85069.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	3.48 MB
ID:	1555999   Click image for larger version

Name:	pk29259.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	3.74 MB
ID:	1556000   Click image for larger version

Name:	hm23890.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	3.95 MB
ID:	1556001   Click image for larger version

Name:	oi14742.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	4.69 MB
ID:	1556002  
Old 01-30-2011, 05:54 PM
Cutless009
My Feedback: (1)

Well, here's my addition to the fray.  after tweaking, setting, upgrading, breaking replacing, and a whole lot of wrenching, I've finally got it the way I want it.  I've learned a lot of lessons along the way, and I still have a lot of practice to go when it comes to driving (especially estimating jumps!).  Right now the biggest problem with it, is the guy working on it

I'm going to get some video of it playing around in the neighborhood, lots of dirt roads and hills and jumps to play on around here, so I'll see if I can take my camera out and get some footage of it playing around.

Parts/Upgrade list after the pictures!

Suspension:
STRC Front/Rear Shock Towers
STRC Shock Caps
Traxxas Sway Bar Kit Black Front/Back
RPM Rear Hub Carriers
RPM A-Arms

Drivetrain:
STRC Motor Heatsink
1/8 Pinion Adapter
1/8 12t Pinion Gear
STRC Driveshaft
Traxxas ESC Cooling Fan Option

Handling:
Pro-Line Split-Six Wheels (Black)
Pro-Line Caliber Short-Course Tires
Pro-Line Switch On-Road Tires
Savox SC-1258TG Super Speed Titanium Gear Digital Servo
STRC Aluminum Bellcrank Set (Red)

Chassis:
RPM Front Bumper w/ RPM Light Bracket (Black)
RPM Rear Bumper w/ RPM Mud Flaps and Rear Light Set (Black)
RPM Nerf Bars
Pro-Line Ford F-150 Short Course Body for Slash 4x4
JConcepts over-tray for Slash 4x4 (modified for cooling)

Power:
Common Sense RC 530w 43a Power Supply
Turnigy 200w max 10a NiCad/NiMH/LiPo/LiFe battery charger (single output)
Zippy 5000mah 11.1v 3s1p LiPo battery (x2)

Wish List:
Pro-Line power-stroke shocks
MIPS CVD Front/Back Sets
Outerwears Short-Course Truck Shroud (Black)
Any brand ~5000mah 2s1p LiPo Batteries (x2)
Old 01-30-2011, 07:25 PM
Freezetron

Here was our starting Slash 4x4 lineup today along with a Stamp 4x4

Old 02-01-2011, 03:13 PM
Krazy Chicken

lol duet it, traxxas hardly ever redesigns their trucks.
ORIGINAL: res3567

And then Traxxas will upgrade the Slash to compete if these new SC trucks are superior. It is a never ending battle............
Old 02-01-2011, 08:23 PM
tabrown

Alrighty well I am getting myself a 4x4 soon and I have a few questions. I have heard that the electonics are waterproof but the diffs arent? I also heard there is a motor heat issue? I am getting it for $350 from the lhs when normaly they are selling them for $430.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:08 PM
Freezetron

ORIGINAL: tabrown

Alrighty well I am getting myself a 4x4 soon and I have a few questions. I have heard that the electonics are waterproof but the diffs arent? I also heard there is a motor heat issue? I am getting it for $350 from the lhs when normaly they are selling them for $430.

Diffs will need to be checked like any other diff after running in wet conditions or your will have problems with rust, especially on bearings. IF the diff is well greased on the outside, it shouldn't be much of an issue. I haven't tried 3s lip yet but it seems most peeps run into issues when running 3s and or high gearings as well as running the truck in thick grass and such but that will happen with any vehicle that isn't geared properly
Old 05-02-2011, 05:59 PM
tabrown

After all the hard work of saving my money, Ifinally have one! I ordered a keychain camera that will be in and I plan on posting videos of everything I own running. Iabsolutly love running, and working on this thing! It has made a great addition to the collection! I plan on doing rpm all around, and wire in LEDS, along with pro-line switchs on rpm black revolvers.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:17 AM
junville

Im a bit confused? I know that the slash 4x4 and the rustler vxl has the same motor,(VXL 3500) and ESC (VXL 3S) but im getting mixed info. The info im getting is that the RUSTLER is 32 pitch and that the slash is 48 pitch. Can someone clarify this please....so i know what pinion gears to order.... thanks
Old 05-03-2011, 09:02 AM
Krazy Chicken

other way aroud, slash 4x4 is 32p rustler is 48p
ORIGINAL: junville

Im a bit confused? I know that the slash 4x4 and the rustler vxl has the same motor,(VXL 3500) and ESC (VXL 3S) but im getting mixed info. The info im getting is that the RUSTLER is 32 pitch and that the slash is 48 pitch. Can someone clarify this please....so i know what pinion gears to order.... thanks
Old 05-05-2011, 05:55 AM
junville

if they have the same eSC/ Motor combo why do they have a different pitch?
Old 05-05-2011, 10:02 AM
biggups

i just bought a new slash vxl and also a 11.1 3s 5000mah lipo. the battery is much taller than the oem whats the best way to fit the lipo. also after reding some posts it appears that i will have heat issues with the 3s. other than a heat sink & fan over the motor is there a proper way to run the 3s on the vxl system? i have only ran the factory nimh batt that came with it and the punch seems very weak and my guess for top end is in the low 30 range. I like loads of punch and top end with wheelies on command.  Will the vxl system be able to achieve that whithout pushing it to its limits?
Old 05-05-2011, 07:02 PM
Krazy Chicken

32p is more durable then 48p. im guessing since it is 4wd they wanted it to have stronger gears
ORIGINAL: junville

if they have the same eSC/ Motor combo why do they have a different pitch?
Old 05-06-2011, 07:36 PM
chase1

traxxas recomends an 11 tooth pinion to keep the motor from overheating. by the time you gear this low the 3s is kind of pointless.if you are just making speed runs you can gear up with the 3s but you will go into protect mode after 8 to 10 mins. if you are running at a track or for long periods i would stick with a solid 2s batt. and gear up. i jump back and forth from 14/54 to 16/54 but i have run as high as 19/54 on 2s messing aroundand not overheated in one batt. cycle with an esc fan. also dont waste your money on a motor fan as they dont really help much. as for the batt. not fitting they make extensions for the tray towers or you can raise it yourself with some spacers and longer screws.
Old 05-07-2011, 07:30 AM
jeepkid12345

Whats yours guys opinion on the best esc and motor for this truck?
Old 05-07-2011, 08:12 AM
OddsNEnds

IMHO, something for 1/8th scale would be best.

I run a Mamba Monster 2200kv in mine and have tried everything in the 540 sized motors to run 3s without cooking it.

Gear the Monster high (50/25) and you should see very impressive performance with no issues overheating and tons of torque to spare. Or, try 4s like I do and drop the pinion down to a 22 tooth and it will just be ridiculous (not recommended if you like your truck, lol). But, even with a 4s I am still only seeing temps around 150 - 160 degrees for both the motor and speed controller with an outerwears cover over it.

My opinion is that the 2200kv is just a beast and a little hard to deal with power wise on 4s, but, no heat issues...lol and on 3s it is awesome (fast yet controllable).

If only running 3s lipo power maybe the 2650kv would be a better choice for a better blend of torque and speed with the right gearing.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:50 AM
jeepkid12345

thank you for your response
Would the mamba fit directly into the slash, without and modifaction? i thought u needed a 1/10 scale motor and i would be running 3s so it wouldnt over heat at all if geared correctly right? is it really hard to install, if i get one i dont want to spend all that money on it and not install it correctly or brake it while installing it.
Old 05-07-2011, 02:10 PM
OddsNEnds

It is a drop in installation. No mods what so ever..... Slash 4x4 was built to utilize this system if the owner wanted to install it. It won't overheat period, lol. But torque and gear ratio will be a factor if you want speed. I think the biggest pinion you can fit is a 26 tooth, but, the largest that I have installed was a 25 with a 50t spur. 50 tooth spur gear is a must.

You will have much more leeway with the MM2650kv system.

Uhm, I was just looking on CC web site and they do have this.

http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...x_pro_sct.html

It's a little bigger motor (550) and about the same kv, but, a little lighter on the pocket.

You may want to upgrade your axles in the future if you upgrade powerplants.

Old 05-07-2011, 03:33 PM
jeepkid12345

thanks you again, and sorry for asking so many questions i just want to make sure i get this right before spending all the money,
So i have one last question, on a different fourm i was reading about guys going through slipper cluches a lot with the mm, and also going though bearings, is this something you have experienced? iwill be running 3s on it, and i dont know about gearing yet, i just dont want to get it and have to spend tons of money on other drivetrain upgrades. the axles however i will look into do u have any suggestions on what to get.
thanks
Old 05-07-2011, 11:12 PM
OddsNEnds

No problem, ask away! lol....

Great question!

Regarding the motor mount bearing. Yes, they do start to heat up and eventually fail. An upgrade for that would be great as well.

This is the one that I upgraded to.....

http://www.kingheads.com/product_inf...10f8f0725fd3d3

Along with being aluminum, it is made for a larger bearing that will strengthen it and prolong it's use without failures.

Regarding your slipper clutch, you will have to tighten it substantially. I usually turn it clockwise til it's locked and then back off less than a 1/4th of a turn. Not much slip anymore.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:39 AM
biggups

thanks for the help. i bought a center diff but have yet to install. it was one of those days where i needed to spend money on the truck but didnt know how. after researching it i have mixed feelings on it now. i just bash and drive about 20% of the time on pavement. i enjoy driving the car but i actually like working on it more especially making improvments rather than fixing. i bought the batt extension and the 3s makes an incredible difference. the esc did go into protection mode in 10 - 15 min. the center diff came with 50t, 52t, 54t. would the 50t be the higher speed spur or would it be the 54t.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:17 AM
Scruffy281

I finally picked up my Slash 4x4 over the weekend, excited to get some time in with it.

Any recommendations for basic mods? I'm thinking of the cooling fan and a stronger battery pack to start. 100% basher basically. Thanks!
Old 06-02-2011, 10:03 AM
tabrown

Took the slash 4x4 out to the lhs's mudpit, it was a blast! Only problem was Ilet my buddy drive it and he got it stuck well, he couldnt get it out and I barely did. While Iwas waiting for him to get something to pull it out with Idrove it out. Well the it shorted the esc on button so I had to send it in. It's gonna be on the shelf for two weeks :,( So far it has trencher sc tires on renagade rims, with rpm front and rear bumbers with mudflaps. Once I get the leds to finish the light bar mount I will be mounting that. Iabsoulutly LOVE my slash 4x4, but to everyone running the vxl system might want to unscrew the bottom of the esc we opened mine up and the epoxy didnt cover one spot. Also the lhs is going to seal the button of the new vxl with silicon so that way it can be pushed down and still waterproof.

Old 12-29-2011, 05:19 PM
dchomie87

Ok so I went to my lhs today and dropped 350 on a slash 4x4 vxl... What am I going to have to do to get this thing to be stupid quick? I have a N-Firestorm and its not quick enough so I want the slash to be able to smack my firestorm in the face. I will be honest I am not so sure if I like what I am hearing about the overheating and diffs leaking, however I do know that I want a 4x4 brushless any terrain kind of truck and the guy at my lhs swore by this thing. Is this a good buy I still owe like 30 bucks on it since I put it in layaway, I wanted to see what issues people were having. So my main concerns are durability and speed for the price. If any of you have any suggestions Im open ears.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:20 AM
OddsNEnds

Wow, been 6 months since someone actually posted to this thread, very cool for reviving it dchomie87.

First thing would be to read the 33 pages here on what others have experienced and what they have done to correct the issues. Then...

If you want stupid fast it will come with drawbacks. To me the main 2 would be slipper clutch and tires cause to solve the other problems will wear these two items out fast.

Stupid fast with no heat issues. Buy a Mamba Monster 2200kv system for power w/ the optional cooling fan. Gear it high, meaning small spur large pinion for speed. Run it on 3s lipo or better yet, 4s. 4s=stupid fast

Upgrades to run such a powerful powerplant. MIP XDuty CVD's front and back, KingHeadz motor mount with the larger diff bearing and some aluminum hex drives.

Slipper clutch will burn up immediately, so, either lock it down or switch to a revo spec slipper clutch. I just lock mine down. This causes a lot of tire spin onroad and will chew tires up pretty quick. If only going offroad, this is not such a big issue. Only on pavement it will be like rubbing sandpaper, lol.

Another issue would be that stock body that will act like a kite/parachute at high speed and want to flip your Slash over without even hitting a jump, jumping would just compound this worse. Get one of the new bodies by Proline or JConcepts that have a lot of vent cutouts in the rear of the body.

I think this is a good start, the Slash 4x4 is fun and durable. Enjoy!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.