Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

What is a good battery charger to get on the cheap?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 03:01 PM
rebuilder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What is a good battery charger to get on the cheap?

"We have three kids, youngest one just finishing college (daddy paid cash for all of their tuition)."

Do you know who their daddy is........................that was generous of him
Old 12-12-2009, 03:05 PM
rglgatortail
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bigbangtheory

Just wondering if anyone could help me out? I had an older AC/DC Charger that is timed and trickles, but read somewhere it is really only ment for NiCd batteries and I have two 3000 Traxxas/Venom NiMh 8.4v batteries.

Trying to stay under 50 smacks for this. Really was hoping my old one would work, but tis whatever.

Thanks for any help.

PS, this overnight charger they gave me with my slash is laughable at best......on charge going on 8 hours and not even warm. The plug is, but not the battery. Should have dove in when I got the slash. Oh well.
I got one better and i bought this one and it is cool but i caught it on sale and delivered to my house for $45 bucks but the web site shows it at $55 so check this one out.
http://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html
Old 12-12-2009, 03:13 PM
kistner
My Feedback: (10)

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Are those batteries no good or something? I just want something that will work well for a decent time.
The tenergy batts do not have the greatest rep. typically they are pre-made packs that use the cheap flimsy spot welded battery bars and they just do not last. In my own defense I bought loose cells and assembled them properly, and they were the propels that are tenergy's upper end cells - if there is such a thing. Again I am ok with them but if I were doing over I would go with hobbycity lipos, 2nd choice would be packs from promatchracing.com
Old 12-12-2009, 03:26 PM
Littl3TuffGuy13

ORIGINAL: Littl3TuffGuy13

I've heard a lot of great things about the Accucel 6, I'd go for it.
Thinking about it, just not sure on the location as if the one guy said it comes from Hong Kong......if I read that right. Not sure how I feel about that.
I ordered 3 3s lipos a charger and a power supply from them, they are legitamate.
Old 12-12-2009, 03:30 PM
cool-joe

ORIGINAL: rebuilder

"We have three kids, youngest one just finishing college (daddy paid cash for all of their tuition)."

Do you know who their daddy is........................that was generous of him
Nice.

I hope, for your own children's sake, that their mother hasthree more braincells than a rock.
Otherwise they're in for a lifetime of disappointment and rejection ............. like their father.
Old 12-12-2009, 03:51 PM
Bigbangtheory

LOL Joe, too funny!

You are just the know it all of everything. Go figure!

You are a dime a dozen my friend........an arsehole is always an arsehole, so stay true to your being, your kind.......as you enjoy it.
Old 12-12-2009, 03:53 PM
Bigbangtheory

ORIGINAL: rglgatortail

Just wondering if anyone could help me out? I had an older AC/DC Charger that is timed and trickles, but read somewhere it is really only ment for NiCd batteries and I have two 3000 Traxxas/Venom NiMh 8.4v batteries.

Trying to stay under 50 smacks for this. Really was hoping my old one would work, but tis whatever.

Thanks for any help.

PS, this overnight charger they gave me with my slash is laughable at best......on charge going on 8 hours and not even warm. The plug is, but not the battery. Should have dove in when I got the slash. Oh well.
I got one better and i bought this one and it is cool but i caught it on sale and delivered to my house for $45 bucks but the web site shows it at $55 so check this one out.
You are like the 3rd person to recommend this charger. I think I am going to grap this one. Looks like a decent charger for the money. Thanks.

Old 12-12-2009, 05:13 PM
Anomie

Much of this thread has been deleted due to inappropriate behavior. Posts will continue to disappear if this type of flaming and name-calling does not cease.

For now, the thread can remain open. There is useful information here.
Old 12-12-2009, 05:17 PM
Bigbangtheory

Thanks for cleaning it up. Sorry about my language, is just how I am. Will work on it.....granted the swear filter on here is amazing.
Old 12-12-2009, 05:36 PM
Ken448

ORIGINAL: Ken448

thats awesome! I love running my Slash in Spec class! Have the Platinum Edition 4x4 on pre order
Didn't you just get your 2WD slash?

This hobby is adding up as quick as car audio, lol! I may have to sell my stereo stuff, haha!
Yup.. Every year about this time, I get back into RC. Winter is boring so I try to hang out at the track when I can. Just got home from there, in fact. Sold one of my other cars while I was there.
Old 12-12-2009, 06:05 PM
Bigbangtheory

Well ended up getting the this one a couple of you suggested. Thanks go out to you all!

In the end I am sure it is better than what I am using currently.
Old 12-12-2009, 06:08 PM
Bigbangtheory

Cool!I have yet to go up there. Maybe next Friday.

Did just run my slash for the first time and got about 15 minutes of runtime on my battery as it wasn't fully charged, but man what fun! I think it is very fast out of the box ......for me anyway. I already done flipped it 10 or so times on pavement., hit the mailboxes and a brick wall........took it like a champ, lol!

I need to get used to running these things again, not to mention this handles completely different than my Hornet did. Racing must take some uber skill or something. They don't want me on the track anytime soon.....

thats awesome! I love running my Slash in Spec class! Have the Platinum Edition 4x4 on pre order
Didn't you just get your 2WD slash?

This hobby is adding up as quick as car audio, lol!I may have to sell my stereo stuff, haha!
Yup.. Every year about this time, I get back into RC. Winter is boring so I try to hang out at the track when I can. Just got home from there, in fact. Sold one of my other cars while I was there.
Old 12-12-2009, 06:20 PM
supersparky
My Feedback: (21)

I think you will be very happy with it. easy to use, and shipped from in the USA (got mine in about 5-6 days).
Have fun.
Old 12-12-2009, 07:27 PM
Littl3TuffGuy13

The troll is gone. win
Old 12-12-2009, 07:35 PM
homeboy61

Get the Turnigy charger from hobbycity and a pwoer supply, it will add up to $50 and it will charge lipo, nimh, nicad, everything. It's the same as the $110 Losi charger.

Old 12-12-2009, 08:28 PM
Bigbangtheory

ORIGINAL: supersparky

I think you will be very happy with it. easy to use, and shipped from in the USA (got mine in about 5-6 days).
Have fun.
Thanks for the link and suggestion. I can't wait till it comes in. This overnight charging stuff is killing me!

Old 12-12-2009, 08:30 PM
Bigbangtheory

Littletuffguy, did they ban him or something? He did make my day at work go by.....I will say that much, lol!
Old 12-12-2009, 11:15 PM
MCSRacing
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: MCSRacing

spend some real money and get a good charger and save yourself a big headache later on ... with a cheap charger ya get a second rate charge, my buddies try to get off on the cheap and just ended up buying a good charger in the end, one of the best chargers i have used is a elecrtifly triton eq .... it does a great job on all types of cells and it ac/dc too. since we started using the triton eq, the gfx35 get to stay home.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXVRS6&P=0
So the ones posted do a 2nd rate charge? I am not even sure what that means.

What is the huge difference in that than some of the others that have been posted?

its all about the charging profile, if all chargers where created equal, all the pro's and guys that are serious would be using 25.00 chargers and 25.00 lipo's .... but if your are bashing then it really doesn't matter as long as it goes when ya hit the trigger.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:48 AM
Bigbangtheory

For now, that is what I am using it for...is bashing.

I do have a local track to me...actually 5 minutes away that I may end up going to and trying the track out. I just want to get used to the truck first, which will take some time as it is a little tricky to me compared to my old Hornet and what I remember with that.

Again, anthing is better than this overnight Traxxas charge that came with my Slash. Had it on there 10 hours yesterday and the battery pack wasn't even warm....the plug was though, lol!So it has to be better than that.

spend some real money and get a good charger and save yourself a big headache later on ... with a cheap charger ya get a second rate charge, my buddies try to get off on the cheap and just ended up buying a good charger in the end, one of the best chargers i have used is a elecrtifly triton eq .... it does a great job on all types of cells and it ac/dc too. since we started using the triton eq, the gfx35 get to stay home.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXVRS6&P=0
So the ones posted do a 2nd rate charge?I am not even sure what that means.

What is the huge difference in that than some of the others that have been posted?

its all about the charging profile, if all chargers where created equal, all the pro's and guys that are serious would be using 25.00 chargers and 25.00 lipo's .... but if your are bashing then it really doesn't matter as long as it goes when ya hit the trigger.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:30 AM
daisy shoot

I'm casting another vote for the turnigy charger. It does alot of different things, and it has good safety features. My buddy helped my me out with the power supply....he fixes laptops and has a box full of adapters. Five minutes of searching a BAM, juice!

Whatever charger you go with, make sure you get a solid metal box to put the batts in, I use a metal toolbox and an ammo box to charge in. Can't be too safe

-rob-
Old 12-13-2009, 08:39 AM
Bigbangtheory

That is a good idea about the toolbox. I just have them charging out in the open.

I also went with another charger. Watched a video of it and it swayed me. Looks easy to use and does the job for what I am looking at.

ORIGINAL: dookieshoot

I'm casting another vote for the turnigy charger. It does alot of different things, and it has good safety features. My buddy helped my me out with the power supply....he fixes laptops and has a box full of adapters. Five minutes of searching a BAM, juice!

Whatever charger you go with, make sure you get a solid metal box to put the batts in, I use a metal toolbox and an ammo box to charge in. Can't be too safe

-rob-
Old 12-13-2009, 09:39 AM
Jeremy Z

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: dookieshoot

Another thing that works well is a glass baking dish. My dad was using one when he had a LiPo fire and it did the job.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:40 AM
1THEPALMER
My Feedback: (1)

I am not a car guy, but have the Turnigy charger from Hobby City. for a 50Watt charger it does a great job up to 4S 2200 MAH (volts x amps = watts) so running around 35 amps to charge that pack. I do not know what size packs car guys use and as there has not been a post covering charging needs.
I guess cars are still running 7.2 volt systems? If true a 50W charger will be plenty. I am not a Triton fan as have seen several that false peak on Ni batteries and over charge Lipo's, both very bad. If you are running one the V2's appear better but still will false peak.
I live in Canada so shipping for me is 10 days on almost everthing I order so Hong Kong is the same as New York.
Get the charger you like as all the listed ones will get the job done, if in the future you need a bigger charger for bigger packs then you will have a ton of stuff to sell (small charger packs car)
I like the one listed with the builtin power supply $50.00 is a pretty sharp price for a self contained unit.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:40 AM
Bigbangtheory

I have plenty of glass baking dishes. Another good option! Thanks.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:45 AM
Bigbangtheory

Yeah I went with the built in adaptor one for 55 bucks.

I was just going to get a Nimh charger and not worry about Lipo's, but knowing me and getting stuck into something that peaks my intreast, I decided I better get one that does LiPo as well, lol!

As far as it not doing bigger packs, I don't know?The vid was a pretty big LiPo I believe. 18.5v IIRC. So I should be good to go.
ORIGINAL: 1THEPALMER

I am not a car guy, but have the Turnigy charger from Hobby City. for a 50Watt charger it does a great job up to 4S 2200 MAH (volts x amps = watts) so running around 35 amps to charge that pack. I do not know what size packs car guys use and as there has not been a post covering charging needs.
I guess cars are still running 7.2 volt systems? If true a 50W charger will be plenty. I am not a Triton fan as have seen several that false peak on Ni batteries and over charge Lipo's, both very bad. If you are running one the V2's appear better but still will false peak.
I live in Canada so shipping for me is 10 days on almost everthing I order so Hong Kong is the same as New York.
Get the charger you like as all the listed ones will get the job done, if in the future you need a bigger charger for bigger packs then you will have a ton of stuff to sell (small charger packs car)
I like the one listed with the builtin power supply $50.00 is a pretty sharp price for a self contained unit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.