Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

should i put a vxl into my xl-5 rustler or?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 08:46 PM
hillbilie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default should i put a vxl into my xl-5 rustler or?

hey guys, i got an xl-5 rustler, and im looking for a BL setup, the vxl system in about 150 bucks. i just want it to haull azz im not trying to get it into world domination mode. i was looking at the turnigy esc and BL stuff and it seems pretty good for the price, i dont want to spend more than 150 on the esc and motor and less money would be beter. what are your guys sugestions?
Old 12-13-2009, 08:52 PM
ka350kaptain

Default RE: should i put a vxl into my xl-5 rustler or?

I upgraded both of my Rustlers to the Traxxas Velineon system (ESC and motor). Picked them up on ebay for around $125 each NIB. Just takes a little searching and patience.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:52 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Depending upon which battery voltage you want to use , I'd recommend the sidewinder systems from Castle.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:53 PM
Brainanator
My Feedback: (1)

sidewinders are pretty good.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:10 PM
rebuilder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah.............they're darn near givin' the sidewinder/4600kv combo away now. Its got to be considered one of the best buys out there for what your getting. Slap a Hobby city 3s on it and roll!!!!!!!!!

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXUTA1&P=ML

Here, with this too it will equal $150 for everything

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s..._20C_Lipo_Pack
Old 12-13-2009, 09:23 PM
hillbilie

everytime i think ive found a good deal on something, someone points out something beter and i have to reasearch something else haha. i see that you can get the sidewinder system on e bay for $120 bucks, so its really a toss up to me. considering they are right close to the same price which one would you guys recomend. about the battery packs, im not sure i have some tenergy 3800 6 cell packs that i would like to run for a little bit untill i have the spare change to go lipo (hobby king seems best for cheap lipo packs??) then i would like to run maby a 2 cell lipo. which is my best option? i just bash and screw around with my cars, so i just want whatever system will be the easiest to use/maintain and the most durable. and of course the most performance, also which kv do i get that would best fit that bill thanks guys
Old 12-13-2009, 09:30 PM
Jeremy Z

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Is it just for speed runs on the street? -> will get boring quickly.

2WD can't really put down that kind of power. Save the $150 and get a 4WD buggy or something instead. Enjoy the Rusty for what it is, and put the brushless into something that can actually put the power to the ground.

Alternately, spend the money to get started in racing. Maybe find a spec. class or something for the Rusty? Gas to get to the track and really have some fun. (assuming you don't race already)
Old 12-13-2009, 09:52 PM
hillbilie

speed runs, jumping, chasing cars, cats, dogs, little kids, its just for general rc screwing around. i know what high power 2wds are capable of a have a few of them and also a few 4wd cars, i dont need to by buying anymore cars right now haha. just a nice brushless system.

would either the sidewinder or the vxl be able to run a E MAXX? just wondering. it would be cool to use it in my maxx thanks
Old 12-13-2009, 09:57 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Anything will run the e-maxx , but the sidewinder would have to be set up very slow to live. slower than stock even. The vxl would be able to be set up a bit faster because it is a bigger motor , but is still too small of a set up.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:27 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

i have the SW 4600 and its VERY POWERFUL and a ton of fun very fast easy to use super reliable and just all around a great system and yes its durable i've had it come loose many a time, (i gotta add more of this plastic velcro i use it was too hard to take off so i took some off now it comes off to easy[:@]) either way the heatsink is a tad bent and its been dragged under an arm more than a few times i've gotten it up to a toasty 140, with no issues put the motor into the 200 range for a very short time the highest its been at consistantly is 160, my motor is all scrached up from being dragged around doing wheelies... all around a great system, the only other one that i've found that i was like DAMN i wish i could've gotten that would be novaks havoc but if wasn't out and if it was i probs still wouldn't have gone with it unless they also had balistic 8.5 3s setup, cuz i really liked the SW 3s compatability at that price and castle link is uber nice to tune with...

to guver out of the two in a maxx imo the SW would be more powerful than the VXL it just has that many more RPMS that you could run with while the VXL is a TQ monster the 4600 motor imo would pack a bit more punch that 4600 has no issue lifting my front end when given traction and a non dropped setup (i run my rear end about 1/2 in lower than stock to curb wheelies it doesn't stop um but it helps) but yes both systems are too small for a maxx tho imo a MMM gunna bit a bit big... w/e overpowering stuff is fun

the lug
Old 12-13-2009, 11:50 PM
hillbilie

hmm well that sidewinder sounds like two good of a deal to pass up, is the 4600 the best all around for a rustler? i have seen the 4600 and the 5700 on a few different websites for 129.00