Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

my b4 feels too fast

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 05:41 PM
ace9213

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my b4 feels too fast

Okay I got my first electric car, the FT B4. Really nice car so far. Build went smooth for my first kit. I have a novak havok 13.5 with a 5200mah 35C 2S lipo. (Before this car I did nitro.) I went to just see if it worked today and set it down inside. I barely touched the trigger on the radio and the thing took off like a rocket. I can not believe how fast this thing is. I can't freaking control it. Haha. I wanted it to drive it up next to me but I accidentally gave it to much and it ran right into my hand cutting it open. Is there anyway to make this thing a bit more managable? Or is this how all brushless lipo cars are and I just need to get used to it? I set the throttle to expo to give it a bit smoother acceleration. I haven't been able to run it outside cause it snowed today (I live in dallas, what is going on here!?!) so I'll give it a shot tomorrow at outdoors to see how it feels.
Old 12-24-2009, 05:53 PM
hchia25
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: my b4 feels too fast

Slipper is to might be to tight. but just to let you know I have a b4 with a castle creation mabma sidewinder 5700 with a 4000 30 c lipo battery and that little monster flies very scary to tell you.
Old 12-24-2009, 06:01 PM
ThEoNeS911

Try lowering your Pinion gear. It'll let the car run cooler, plus it will give a lower acceleration, but higher top end.
Old 12-24-2009, 06:11 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Time for you to learn how to easy into the throttle.............
Old 12-24-2009, 06:21 PM
derek2005

Not to mention, that is too much car and motor for inside the house. It won't feel as fast outside, but it will still put a smile on your face!
Old 12-24-2009, 06:37 PM
rclugnut10

you'll get used to it or gear down by b4 with a SW 4600 is fast but you get used to it

the lug
Old 12-24-2009, 06:55 PM
redfisher1974

ORIGINAL: ThEoNeS911

Try lowering your Pinion gear. It'll let the car run cooler, plus it will give a lower acceleration, but higher top end.
I always thought the smaller pinion would give you a lower top end
Old 12-24-2009, 07:46 PM
cenracer1

ORIGINAL: ThEoNeS911

Lowering the pinion will give you faster bottom end and less top speed.. You got it backwards.. but it will make the motor run cooler.. if its running hot... try to adjust some of the punch out of the esc... Or just learn throttle management and get used to it.. there is no such thing as tooooooo fast...
Old 12-24-2009, 07:58 PM
Jeremy Z

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yep, throttle control and gear it down it.
Old 12-24-2009, 07:59 PM
redfisher1974

Lucky you didnt go with the 8.5
Old 12-24-2009, 08:03 PM
Chris_RC

Decrease the throttle EPA so it doesn't go so fast at full throttle.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:04 PM
ace9213

Okay some of you are saying gear it down but doesn't gearing it down give it even faster acceleration? Or is it different with electric?
Old 12-24-2009, 08:17 PM
xxxnt236

gearing down pinion gives faster acceleration but gearing down the spur will give fater top speed but worse acceleration.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:22 PM
ace9213

Okay right now im running a 30 tooth pinion and a 81 tooth spur. So if I lower the spur it will give less acceleration but more top speed?
Old 12-24-2009, 08:34 PM
Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: ace9213

Okay right now im running a 30 tooth pinion and a 81 tooth spur. So if I lower the spur it will give less acceleration but more top speed?
If you want less topend and less acceleration, install a higher pinion gear and decrease EPA until you are happy with the top speed and acceleration. You could use the stock pinion and use Expo to reduce sensetivity near neutral position.

It is laughable that people are saying 'get used to it' on something he can't control.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:34 PM
BigTb17

With a car that small and light you probably aren't *****g out the torque the motor can produce, so installing a smaller pinion may actually make the acceleration seem tamer. With a higher gearing (larger pinion) you will have more top speed and may actually also have more acceleration if the motor can produce the torque required. This is because a lower throttle will produce a higher speed than with a smaller pinion. So when you try to give a small amount of throttle it will still be trying to go fairly fast, and since the motor isn't hurthing for torque, it will simply go that fast (in a hurry as you found out )

If it's not too difficult (meaining, you have access to other pinions) I would first try a smaller pinion and see what you think.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:41 PM
BigTb17

In my opinion, with electric, installing a larger pinion (or smaller spur gear) to reduce acceleration or tame a car is not a good idea. If your motor has enough torque to pull the higer gearing without issue it will likely actually get harder to drive. If the motor is strained enough that acceleration actually does go down, then you will likely just have higher heat, more stress on the motor and battery, and reduced run time.

Lowering gearing (smaller pinion, larger spur) will reduce wheel speed at a given motor RPM and can help make an overpowered brushless setup easier to drive. Many ESCs also offer punch control or starting power settings which can help a lot without adding heat or stress to the system.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:51 PM
ace9213

I will try out some other pinions I got. I have the 30 installed, a 26, 24, 22, 20, 18, and a 16. I guess I need to hit the track up before I can really judge on what needs to be done.
Old 12-24-2009, 10:00 PM
cumquat

drop that 16t on there. the top speed will be pretty much cut in half but at the same time you will to some extent eliminate any speed between 0 and top speed. try picing up a few cheap nickel based packs or lower mah/c rating packs.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:03 PM
derek2005

What ESC are you running? You may be able to adjust your throttle curve for less acceleration yet still good top speed. Exactly when is the buggy getting out of control. On takeoff? On what surface? Have you gotten outside yet? I know my B4 would seem insane inside on carpet or any high traction surface. I have a 19t money motor in mine still and it will wheelie on high traction. I have my slipper adjusted to eliminate lifting the front end so the car will stay under control during acceleration. We are all just throwing a lot of useless info at you if you haven't tried running the car in an appropriate environment. Get that thing outside and see what it will do and then let us know if there are any problems. As you can see, there are lots of us that want to help!

Enjoy!
Old 12-24-2009, 11:41 PM
rebuilder

Sheesh......all the gear stuff.............................just use 2s...........................
Old 12-24-2009, 11:46 PM
rclugnut10

i would hit the track before really trying anything inside speeds and outside are completely different, and its hard to say without accually being on a track

the lug
Old 12-25-2009, 01:43 AM
ace9213

Yeah you guys are right. I would have taken it outside but it snowed. So it might be a few days. But thank you for all the comments. I am running the motor/esc combo from novak. I'm not sure what the esc is called but it came with the 13.5 motor. I was running the car on carpet. About the slipper clutch. I'm not too familiar with the design and concept behind it. You said loosening it made you stop pulling wheelies? How would I go about loosening that? Do I loosen the nut that holds the spur together? Sorry for the dumb questions but we all have to learn at some point!
Old 12-25-2009, 08:21 AM
cumquat

yeah, the nut holding the spur is th slipper nut. just twist it 1full rotation counter-clockwise. that might do the trick.
Old 12-25-2009, 09:15 AM
Jeremy Z

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah you guys are right. I would have taken it outside but it snowed. So it might be a few days. But thank you for all the comments. I am running the motor/esc combo from novak. I'm not sure what the esc is called but it came with the 13.5 motor. I was running the car on carpet. About the slipper clutch. I'm not too familiar with the design and concept behind it. You said loosening it made you stop pulling wheelies? How would I go about loosening that? Do I loosen the nut that holds the spur together? Sorry for the dumb questions but we all have to learn at some point!
If it is in stock position, just loosen it a bit before you try it again. Loosening it one full turn from where it is will give you nothing but slippage.

To clarify some ealier comments:

- Yes, gearing it down does give faster accleration. Using a smaller pinion or larger spur is gearing it down. Be very careful when gearing it UP, because that puts a higher load on the whole system. Everything will run hotter.
- Chris RC mentioned changing settings for expo and end point adjustments. But I don't think you ever said that you had a computer radio with these adjustments. What radio are you using? Having a computer radio gives you all sorts of options to make cars easier to control, but that is a big purchase which may not be necessary right now.
- Going down to 2S is a good idea, but only if you have a 2S pack handy. It is an expensive solution to an easy problem.
- For now, gear it down and go easy on the throttle. Good throttle control is a big part of what makes a good RC driver.

Most RC cars are going to be uncontrollable inside one's house. Especially when the car is new to one. Especially brushless 3S powered models.

(rant) Heck, if you've watched many RC videos on youtube, you'll see that a lot of folks can't even control them on 3S outdoors. They get all cranked up about getting a car that can do 70 mph. They buy all the right stuff to make it happen, then realize it is not really all that much fun, at least not for long. They just want to go faster than their nitro buddies or something. Every once in a while, we get a guy here who is concerned with nothing but top speed. They spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars on a car, hundreds more on top-of-the-line LiPo battery packs, yet more money on a radar gun, and capture the whole even for posterity. It is impressive for a few minutes, but then what? They gear it down, put fewer battery cells in it, and get back to bashing or driving through courses. (/rant)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.