Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

traxxas rustler vxl upgrade!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 07:39 PM
Randizle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default traxxas rustler vxl upgrade!!!!!!!

HI!! every one i have a few questions about the traxxas rustler. it is the older version with the xl1 esc and the stinker motor and i want to buy a vxl system for it. i do not realy beat on it and rarely need parts for it but was wondering if i need to beef up the trans before i install the system. the truck is gonna be more for the street than any thing. but let me know what trans upgrades i need before i buy the vxl system thanx for ur help!!.

Old 12-26-2009, 10:21 PM
TRX Man

Default RE: traxxas rustler vxl upgrade!!!!!!!

Ya you'll definately want to upgrade your transmission gears from plastic to metal.  If you don't you'll be taking apart the trans case after every 10 min. you spend driving.  I actually stripped my gears with brushed motors twice before I went brushless and in a brushless car metal is a must.  The Rustler VXL transmission consist of a steel top gear (part #3195), a steel idler gear (part #3696), and a planetary gear differential w/ steel ring gear (part #2388X).  I'm pretty sure those are the correct part numbers.  My Rustler actually has a machined delrin top gear, a machined aluminum idler gear, and a planetary gear differential w/ a steel ring gear.  I think you'll be good with either set up.  Good luck!

TRX Man
Old 12-26-2009, 10:32 PM
Randizle

u thnk it worth buying the vxl system and the steel gears. or should i just buy a rustler vxl and just sell my old one for the money??

Old 12-27-2009, 12:09 AM
fvj

I'd buy a new one and sell yours. See, a new vxl is about 140 + 20 at least to upgrade the tranny. If you want to put bearings in yours it will cost even more. Get a new one and sell yours or keep it for replacement parts. Remember a new one will come with new tires, new body, digital servo, it will be waterproof, etc.
Old 12-27-2009, 12:32 AM
rebuilder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a new VXL and keep the old truck for a friend, son, dad..........to play with you!
Old 12-27-2009, 12:53 AM
Jeremy Z

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: fvj

I'd buy a new one and sell yours. See, a new vxl is about 140 + 20 at least to upgrade the tranny. If you want to put bearings in yours it will cost even more. Get a new one and sell yours or keep it for replacement parts. Remember a new one will come with new tires, new body, digital servo, it will be waterproof, etc.
+1
Old 12-27-2009, 08:14 AM
Bigbangtheory

ORIGINAL: rebuilder

Get a new VXL and keep the old truck for a friend, son, dad..........to play with you!
This^^^^

Can't wait till my dad gets the Hornet running. Least I will have someone to bash with......granted he needs quite the parts list to get in running order, lol!

Keep trying to talk him into a CORR truck, but we shall see.....