Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Finally got my Grasshopper today!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 04:18 PM
dudecat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally got my Grasshopper today!!!

Yep finally came today. I guess usps had some issues or something along that line is why it took sooooo long to get here. Ohwell can't complain car seems in descent condition. I do believe the tires on it are off either a midnight pumpking or maybe a lunchbox? Not sure anyways all i need is a esc and she will be ready to run.

Old 01-13-2010, 04:40 PM
mazdaprotege4
My Feedback: (32)

Default RE: Finally got my Grasshopper today!!!

Those tire look identiacal to what i have on my Tamiya Mad Bull.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:42 PM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The wheels, tires and wheelie bar are all from a Lunch box. If you plan to run those tires you will need the motor adapter that allows you to run a smaller pinion. Or you can put a 550 sized motor in there with the stock 18T pinion.

I converted a hornet to a truck many years ago. It use to burn up 540 motors like crazy. I was going through them about 1 a month until I picked up an S-600. That motors been in there for years and never hurt itself.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:07 PM
dudecat

I will be replacing the tires anyways. Gonna buy original body and tires for it soon.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:14 PM
rymansl2

Looks like the tires and wheels from my Blackfoot Xtreme . Looks good though! I've been wanting a grasshopper. Something about them just looks so fun.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:18 PM
controlliner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: john01374

The wheels, tires and wheelie bar are all from a Lunch box. If you plan to run those tires you will need the motor adapter that allows you to run a smaller pinion. Or you can put a 550 sized motor in there with the stock 18T pinion.

I converted a hornet to a truck many years ago. It use to burn up 540 motors like crazy. I was going through them about 1 a month until I picked up an S-600. That motors been in there for years and never hurt itself.
This particular grasshopper already has a Mabuchi RS 540 on it according to the pictures. It's bigger than an RS 380.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:42 PM
dudecat

Yep that motor is huge. Just as big as my cobra motor that is 24t.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:58 PM
Jeremy Z

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, it might be a Lunch Box gearbox too John. Not sure if the Grasshopper gearbox has the mount for the wheely bar? In that case, it would be fine with the 540 motor. I couldn't tell from the pictures whether the axle is ridgid (grasshopper) or live (hornet/ lunch box)

As long as you're getting tires, you may as well replace the broken body too. Parma makes a lexan one sold at tower for $20.

I can't tell from the pix whether it is a 540 or 380. There is an awful lot of clearance between the motor can and the shock spring for it to be a 540...
Old 01-13-2010, 10:21 PM
dudecat

Maybe these pics might help us out?

Old 01-13-2010, 10:48 PM
Ken448

you need o either stand further back, or use the macro setting on your cam.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:58 PM
dudecat

I hope these are better if not my camera sucks balls anyways.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:40 AM
john01374

ORIGINAL: Jeremy Z

Well, it might be a Lunch Box gearbox too John. Not sure if the Grasshopper gearbox has the mount for the wheely bar? In that case, it would be fine with the 540 motor. I couldn't tell from the pictures whether the axle is ridgid (grasshopper) or live (hornet/ lunch box)

As long as you're getting tires, you may as well replace the broken body too. Parma makes a lexan one sold at tower for $20.

I can't tell from the pix whether it is a 540 or 380. There is an awful lot of clearance between the motor can and the shock spring for it to be a 540...

I'm pretty sure the Gearboxes where the same. I'll have to pull down the LB but I thought the wheelie bar just bolted up to one of the normal screw holes that held the case together. It also looks like this one has the floating housing so this car has a ton of LB and Hornet parts mixed in. That is a 540 tucked in there. The Hornet shock mounts push the shocks out away from the gearbox and give a ton of room. With those mounts the Titan will fit with the torque ring in place.

Looks to me like someone was trying to build their own Madbull...

Looking at this a little closer I want to say that this car actually began life as a Hornet. It has the extension off the the rear of the chassis for the upper shock mount and I think I can see where the uprights where to mount the Lexan body. It also has the lower shock mounts that attach to the axle tubes an push the shocks back and out toward the wheels plus those floating attachments points at the chassis.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:56 AM
dudecat

So it shouldn't be a problem then putting the original tires back on it right?
Old 01-14-2010, 09:04 AM
john01374

ORIGINAL: dudecat

So it shouldn't be a problem then putting the original tires back on it right?

No problem at all. Since you have so many Hornet parts there you could go either way, Hornet or Grass hopper but I do believe that was a Hornet to begin with.

The hornet also has a Lighter Lexan body although you can get a G-Hopper in Lexan as Jeremy said.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:12 AM
dudecat

So i could be a hornet. Never thought about that just going by what the guy said it was that sold it to me off of ebay. Still either way it has replacement parts on towerhobbies and i figure around $50 i can have it back to normal looking buggy.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:00 PM
Jeremy Z

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I defer to John's superior Tamiya knowledge.

As for the camera, most point & shoot cameras have a minimum focusing distance of about 12-14". That is with them zoomed all the way back to the wide angle setting. It isn't the camera's fault, it is just the user not paying attention to the focuse light, which is usually a green dot. If it has focused, it will stay solid, if not, it will either be a different color or blinking.

Good luck with your Horn Box, and make sure you update this thread as you fix it up.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:22 PM
dudecat

Will do.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:32 PM
dakotanut

That is awesome. I used to have on back in high school. 22 years ago. The mechanical "ESC" caught on fire and melted it down. We used to have so much fun with it though.
Old 01-14-2010, 03:21 PM
dudecat

Yep but no mechanical speed control here though going electronic speed controller.
Old 01-19-2010, 04:15 PM
dakotanut

That is the way to go. What are you looking at for ESC and motor?
Old 01-19-2010, 05:31 PM
Blazing_angel_

i've managed to hurt mine (s-600)...8 cell pro match...stampede...23/86 gearing.....fast......heat.....damn..
Old 01-20-2010, 12:38 PM
dudecat

Not sure yet on the speed control. I tried the motor today to make sure it runs and i have a 3000mah battery and man that motor took off like a bat out of hell. Actually ballooned the back tire it was going to fast. Soon enough i will get the esc and have some real fun with it. Motor acts like it has alot of torque.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:01 PM
etaeniura

Hi everyone! New guy here, reviving my Kyosho Turbo Ultima and cruising for info. I would say that is definitely a hornet, based on the lower gearbox mounts that allow the axle to float and the extensions on top for the shocks. Unless someone went out and bought those parts for a Grasshopper Chassis (they are the same). Pumpkin/Lunchbox gearbox is identical with the exception of the motor mount mentioned above. It is a black plastic piece about a quarter inch thick between the motor and the gearbox that sets the motor shaft a few milimeters closer to the counter gear to accomodate the original 10 tooth pinion from the Lunchbox, instead of the 17 or 18 (memory?) that came with the hornet. If the original pinion is still on there, it would explain why the motor seemed so fast-it would be with that gear ratio and those big wheels! HOwever, you will have terrible acceleration and short run times. I used to have a hornet, and my friend had a pumpkin, and we made this conversion 20 or so years ago. If you get an esc, replace that mabuchi with a decent stck motor and you get a decent backyard basher that's pretty fast (by 80's tamiya standards). The longer wheelbase of the hornet chassis gives you a little more stability than the standard lunchbox/pumpkin would have. We had fun with it with our RC10 and Ultima were charging up. and just my 2 cents.....the grasshopper body was always cooler than the hornet one-no goofy wing to rip off when you roll it!

Old 01-20-2010, 04:31 PM
dudecat

Thank you. Yeah i have a 24turn motor at my house that is made by venom. Corba Venom24 is the actual name of the motor. I know nothing about it other then it runs.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:34 PM
dudecat

OH yeah that motor is just as big as my cobra motor which is 24t. So i don't think that is a stock motor.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.