Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

rustler vxl waterproof?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 12:41 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default rustler vxl waterproof?

i know that traxxas now has the waterproof vxl edition. but, is the motor any different? or are just the RX, servo and ESC sealed/waterproof?
is it safe for me to waterproof my older vxl esc,servo and RX and run in the snow? or will my motor get fried from getting snow/water on it?
Old 02-07-2010, 05:01 PM
hasek1616

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: rustler vxl waterproof?

no you dont have to change anything with your velineon motor, in fact all brushless and brushed motors are waterproof, just dont accelerate heavily if the motor is under water
Old 02-07-2010, 07:55 PM
searlesy

Ithought only brushed, not brushless motors were waterproof?
Old 02-07-2010, 07:58 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

brushed motors are not waterproof but function perfectly fine under water and take no damage (minus a little rust) and usually will drain the water on their own seeing they got so many holes in them. Brushless most from what I hear are not waterproof and water can get inside and cause some issues and it desn't drain out as easy.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:04 PM
landow

i ve used my brushles motor in snow with no problems what so ever although they are vented and the water can get out but im sure it is not good for the motor bearings, but otherwise electrically so far water has not affected them
Old 02-07-2010, 08:09 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

landow, have you used the VXL motor in the snow?
Old 02-07-2010, 08:14 PM
landow

no i havent i just got a waterproof version though but havent ran it yet i did run a stock redcat brushless motor in the snow and had it packed tight with snow several times and that is not at all advertised as waterproof but again that has huge vents so the water runs out i also ran a ezrun brushless motor in the snow which has no vents and is completely sealed but i didnt get it as wet no problems with either system and both still run great. but im done running in the cold cuase everytime i do i have a small crash and breal something lol
Old 02-07-2010, 08:29 PM
hasek1616

check out squirrelod's waterproofing series on youtube , he actually runs a fully submerged neucastle motor with no mods, and yes it might rust it if you dont take care of it properly as will any other metal part on your rustler
Old 02-11-2010, 11:32 AM
geneace75

I have the xl-5 and have ran it in snow, rain, mudpuddles and have had no problems with it.  As long as you blow out any excess water (with air compressor) and remove the cover on the receiver box periodically to let moisture get out, you shold be fine.  As for the motors, just spray them with a water displacing solution.  I use WD-40 and Speed Cleaner 3 or Power Shot.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:37 PM
flat6
My Feedback: (5)

i have the vxl system and have ran it in snow and semi deep water. Have not had any issues.