Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Another "what should I buy" thread (1/8 scale e-buggy)

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 01:35 PM
dashunde

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another "what should I buy" thread (1/8 scale e-buggy)

I've owned several 1/8 scale buggies over the years, and they all are a PITA (but fun) with those testy little glow motors. With the starter boxes, fuel mess, tuning, clutches, checking temps constantly.. yuck, I always ended up tiring of it.
I'd like to try an electric 1/8 scale, but I have no idea where to start or what to buy. I'm big into planes and I'm pretty well versed in terms of electric stuff (I can wind up my own outrunners), but I dont know squat about the electric chassis, pinion and spur selection with what Kv, and so on. I also dont know fooey about the ground esc's, their cooling fans, and whatnot.
Suggestions?
Old 02-08-2010, 02:23 PM
Jeremy Z

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Another

I'd probably go with the new HPI Vorza Flux. Maybe check availability of spares beforehand though, as some folks have had problems getting HPI buggy parts in the past.

Hand-wound outrunners are probably not going to cut muster for cars.

1/8 scale cars cost twice as much (at least) to run as 1/10, so you should consider how badly you want that extra size.

I'm a pilot too, and I've found that a 1/10 scale 4WD monster truck is the perfect supplement to planes. When it is too windy to fly, or you just want a quick fix, go out and drive the truck. When the snow is too deep to drive, I fly my belly-lander planes. (Multiplex EasyStar, TwinStar 2, and Hobby-Lobby Skimmer.)
Old 02-08-2010, 02:30 PM
Brainanator
My Feedback: (1)

will this be for bashing or for racing?

HPI has come out with a RTR brushless buggy, the Vorza Flux. It might be right up your alley.

http://www.hpiracing.com/kitinfo/103420/

edit: Jeremy beat me but I went and got pictures and a link!
Old 02-08-2010, 04:10 PM
dashunde

Thanks.
I'm mostly going to bash with it at first...
I'm also capable of starting with a pure nitro kit and buying a conversion kit and everything else.
Just not sure what to buy? What is the favorite conversion nowadays?
Old 02-08-2010, 05:47 PM
hasek1616

if you want to bash andgo fast and still be easy to use check out the traxxas brushless editions, and if you want a conversion kershaw designs just came out with an hpi 5t/5b dual brushless conversion kit, and i also kinda like the revo conversions
Old 02-08-2010, 05:49 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

get a Jammin X1x RTR ($330), sell the nitro engine for $140 on ebay, and get the brushless conversion kit for $110(I think) and put in the brushless setup you want

Jammin's from what I've read and have been told are insanely durable buggoes that are also extremely race worthy. I actually bought one a few weeks back and have yet to run it due to weather (keeping it nitro btw). But for the cash its a incredible looking machine. (box was marked $700, got mine from amain)
Old 02-08-2010, 07:39 PM
cobaltracer1986

ive heard the vorza is good, and the hot bodies one is also worth the cash, i wsa in the same market last week, but after we added up the entire price of everything ( i needed charger and controller) i just got a traxxas brushless, and i am completely satisfied with it, its waterproof, fast as the buggy, handles about the same, except on bit jumps, it "kites" , very cheap to fix, if u do manage to break it, and it puts damn near the same lap times down as the buggies do,