Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Discuss proper motor break-in

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2003, 05:49 PM
Bigpimphustler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Discuss proper motor break-in

Proper motor break-in.. What techniques do you guys use? I don't see what in a motor needs to be broken in, other then the brushes.

Whats the word?
Old 07-18-2003, 05:55 PM
Me+RC=$$$
My Feedback: (1)

I take the motor apart, then spray the can out with break cleaner, then the armature, oil the bearings, reaplace the brushes, and for those that have a lathe, cut the comm. I need to buy one, just can't bring myself to spend that much. Oh yea, check for chipped or cracked magnets.
Old 07-18-2003, 06:14 PM
Bigpimphustler

You have to do all that when you buy a brand new motor?

I am talking about new motor break in, not general maintenance.
Old 07-18-2003, 06:37 PM
Me+RC=$$$

Oh yea, kinda read that wrong. My bad. When I get a new motor, I run it very slowly through it's first battery. Or my friend will bring his 4 cell battery over, and I run it using a 4 cell battery the first time, either way works, I can't think of anything else really.
Old 07-18-2003, 07:40 PM
MonotonalMonkey

I just buy a p2k pro, you don't have to break those in, they've already been broken in. But if I had to break a motor in I'd just hook it up in my r/c car with a fresh pack (6 cell) and hold the throttle at 1/4 until the battery dies. Since I don't have a 4 cell pack. When I run the battery, I just have the rear wheels elevated so it doesn't go anywhere. I know people that do the 4 cell trick too. If you're clever you can manipulater a rubber band to hold the throttle for you so you don't have to hold onto the throttle manually for like 15 or 18 minutes.
Old 07-18-2003, 07:51 PM
Me+RC=$$$

That or adjust the throttle trim.
Old 07-18-2003, 08:34 PM
Bigpimphustler

Why even do that.. I would just get 4 cells and solder them right to the motor tabs.. and let it spin.
Old 07-18-2003, 09:53 PM
MonotonalMonkey

Well, for budgetary reasons. Some of us don't have 4 cells just lying around and don't see the purpose of going out and buying 4 cells to break in the occasional new motor. I like the throttle trim idea $$$, hadn't thought of that.
Old 07-19-2003, 02:58 PM
MyMonkey

All good ideas. Also, I would recommend a little extra tuning at the break in point. I seat the bushings (use dowel of same size), shim the Armature and oil bushings. Seat the bushings prior to break. Do the rest post break in and you should be set.
Old 07-19-2003, 03:16 PM
CHassan
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Whats this breaking in in water trick I've heard about?
Old 07-19-2003, 03:28 PM
someguy

If you keep the brushes underwater it helps break them in faster but then you have to be careful to rinse out all the water with motor spray. It works just as well to run the car slow or with 4 cells and thats easier than the water trick.
Old 07-20-2003, 01:17 AM
Drew360

Originally posted by CHassan
Whats this breaking in in water trick I've heard about?
here is the water break in link. i guess guys used to use this back in tha day when you couldnt take the motor apart. it wouldnt be good to do this nowadays.
*CLICK HERE*
http://www.rccaraction.com/articles/...ge_stocker.asp
Old 07-20-2003, 03:19 AM
SpoonAvenger

Yes, that was for the closed endbell motors mostly i think.
Old 07-20-2003, 09:51 AM
CHassan
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

OK thanks.
Old 07-20-2003, 05:08 PM
Holst

Ill run it unloaded for a couple of minutes to get rid of any high spots on the brushes.

Race it for a few runs, heat the com up..

Then once you have heated the com, give it a quick skim.

Often a new arm will warp a bit once its got hot.

With a stock like a P2kpro just put it in and race it, there fastest from new IMHO.
Old 09-29-2003, 08:40 PM
Goku
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Discuss proper motor break-in

ORIGINAL: Me+RC=$$$

I take the motor apart, then spray the can out with break cleaner, then the armature, oil the bearings, reaplace the brushes, and for those that have a lathe, cut the comm. I need to buy one, just can't bring myself to spend that much. Oh yea, check for chipped or cracked magnets.

do you mean Brake cleaner...? like for real cars? does that work?

I have only heard of people using "electric motor cleaner" ...or whatever that stuff they have at my LHS....

if that works, then I'll have to try it... Brake cleaner is lots cheaper than the LHS stuff.
Old 09-29-2003, 09:00 PM
Goku

Another quick question...... What type of oil do I use on my wheel bearings?

Do I use the same stuff that I use on my mod motor bearings? or is there something different?
Old 09-30-2003, 11:01 AM
bigjdubb

What kind of oil do you guys use on the motor bearings? Also, will any electric motor spray work or is the RC motor specific spray the best to use?
Old 09-30-2003, 12:32 PM
Goku

I just learned a little about lubing the motor bearing the other day from the guy at hobbytown. Apparently there are a few different types of oil. One is specifically for bearings (mods) and the other for stock motors with bushings...

The kind I got is in a little bottle (about 1/2 oz.) with a needle to apply it directly to the bearing. Its by Racer's edge and cost about $4.... should last a while though since it only takes a drop or two.
I don't know if there is a cheaper substitute out there... I'm pretty new at cars...
Old 10-02-2003, 11:13 AM
onefastredsc

Theoretically brake cleaner should work, not only does it thin out oils and greases for easy removal, but it also evaporates. So if you leave the part that you've brake cleaned sitting around, after about an hour or so, it'll be totally dry.
Old 10-02-2003, 09:35 PM
Jarc-RCU

WOW.... some very good and off answers...

Most people i race with or seen have used 3 amps. Or just 3 cells. Run it for 300 seconds (5 minutes). Remove the springs and the brush... CLEAN the can and THE BRUSH.. use a pencil eraser if you have one on the end of the brush. (or get whats called a comm-stick) Allot of people will not clean the brush and stick it back in dirty.. no no

Letting you battery get so low it hardly turns is not good for the motor. It will cause un-needed arching and wear the com faster. Once past half speed of the truck... stop using it and change batts.

Electric motor spray works best. however you must re-lube the entire motor. You can get a 3 pack of lube for your electric buggy [link=http://www.carpetracing.com/fccr/product_info.php?products_id=822]HERE[/link] . It has the bearing, bushing, and comm drop oils used for electric motors.
Is important not only to lube the COMM as well as the brushes. If you clean the oil off them.. your back to metal/metal again. 5 drops on a brush and 3 on the comm should do the trick.

Best to clean the motor Sande re-lube after 3 - 5 runs.
Old 10-04-2003, 06:28 AM
The Newbie...

what i do is i just take the brushes out and put extra solder i the shape of a brush so when it heats up it just smothers the comm and arma karma hahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhi