Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

gearing up or down?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 08:48 PM
paul_TAB4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gearing up or down?

I recently acquired a brushless rustler. wanting to switch up the wheels and tires. change the stock xl-5 2.8 rusty tires to the 2.8 talons on the stampede.

my question is about the pinion and spur sizing. will I need to switch one or both?? or is the gearing in the pede and the rusty the same? I have a traxxas catalog in front of me, and I can't find anything on the size and teeth of either trucks?

If these are not a good match for the rustler. can anyone suggest a better alternative? this is my first rustler, and brushless vehicle. I am looking for all round tires. with a decent life span. thank you for any suggestions.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:58 PM
samguan

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: gearing up or down?

I don't think there is a big difference between the stock Rusty tires and the Stampede tires. You wouldn't have to touch the gearing.

However, if the Stampede tires are heavier or bigger, you can get a smaller pinion or a bigger spur gear.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:08 PM
paul_TAB4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok thanx!

I think the tires weigh more but only slightly. they have more poof to them........if that makes sense?
Old 07-06-2010, 09:14 PM
samguan

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: paul_TAB4

ok thanx!

I think the tires weigh more but only slightly. they have more poof to them........if that makes sense?
If you find your motor running hotter than before, get a smaller pinion or get a bigger spur