Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

time for some night racing

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 10:34 PM
oreo31

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default time for some night racing

had a crazy idea so i figure i would try it. i took a led light tube from auto zone and wired it and superglued it onto my new body. came out just like i though it would. just gotta lay down some paint....
here it is....

with the lights off

what do you guys think?
Old 07-21-2010, 11:25 PM
genitor

Default RE: time for some night racing

Looks cool, but there is no sense in seeing your car if you can't see the road you're driving on.
Maybe add some LEDs infront to illuminate the road.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:27 PM
oreo31

good point. didnt think of that for some reason
Old 07-21-2010, 11:32 PM
theunleet

Night + no light but LED around car = Curb at 50-60mph. Not a very good idea, add some BRIGHT LEDS in front to illuminate a path or something. They need to shine at an angle to see whats in front and also see the road.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:00 AM
FieroMan121
My Feedback: (2)

peeshaw, i run my cars at night all the time, its actualy when i do the most running. your eyes adjust and for the most part your able to see everything, and if its in an urban area than there should be enough light to get you by.

the only thing i suggest is set up 2 lights to tell if its going towards you or away from you. both on the right hand side for example so that if its going away the light is on the right, if its going towards you the light is on the left

a light to iluminate whats in front of you is kind of pointless, its not like your in the car or anything, if its a road you play on every day youll know where the curb is
Old 07-22-2010, 10:45 AM
theunleet

Actually it is not pointless BECAUSE, if the light in front is bright enough, and there is something unexpected in the road, doesn't matter if its your neighborhood streets, you will see it and steer clear of it. Just something to think about.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:07 AM
proanti1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Night = bad. I have lost more parts than I can remember while driving at night... its really hard to see what the car is doing in an accident, so its hard to see where the part might have flung. I actually lost a car a night, it zipped off into a ditch and I couldn't find it.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:12 PM
jd31

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i was just thinking, anyone ever tried adaptive (the lights mov ethe way the steering is turned like in newer luxury cars) rc lights?
Old 07-22-2010, 02:13 PM
oreo31

ok maybe i posted this wrong. im not racing it in the middle of the night or anything like that. more like right after sun down or a lil later. the lights are more of a show piece than anything else.
as far as adaptive lighting, the mechanism to run that would be more of an headache than its worth imo
Old 07-22-2010, 03:42 PM
theunleet

jd31 actually has an inventive idea. You should look into that, all the people that do spinners and neons and things for their RC's would buy it.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:24 PM
FieroMan121

digital servo, dial down the end points, y harness it off the steering servo. boom! adaptive headlights
Old 07-22-2010, 06:54 PM
JoshJ

How about taking christmas lights and lining a track with them? Then having LEDs on your truck, you could night race. Just an idea?
Old 07-22-2010, 07:12 PM
oreo31

ORIGINAL: JoshJ

How about taking christmas lights and lining a track with them? Then having LEDs on your truck, you could night race. Just an idea?
thats actually a cool idea. might be a lil hard to see the jumps but if everyone had different colors it would be cool to see these run around a lit up track like that.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:52 PM
JoshJ

ORIGINAL: oreo31

ORIGINAL: JoshJ

thats actually a cool idea. might be a lil hard to see the jumps but if everyone had different colors it would be cool to see these run around a lit up track like that.
I think Im gonna give it ago. When I was really young, my neighborhood made christmas fun. My dad had TONS of christmas lights, and lit our house up like crazy!! Our neighboor, whos a hunter, used to take the feet from his deer (sad and gross, but I didnt know at the time) and make reindeer foot prints in the snow. My dad took metal bars and made sled tracks. Then they left milkballs (the candy) to immitate you know what

So we have many bags full of christmas lights, that never get used anymore. Maybe running lights around a jump or something, so you know where jumps are. Or atleast a different color by the jumps.

Change that, how about where you run the lights on both sides of the jump, you use the blinking bulbs? Might be a cool idea. Ill give them all a shot.

For cheap LEDs, you can get them from blackdogrc very soon. Ill let you know when he gets them.