Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

nitro to electric..need help with motor choice.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 05:16 PM
saltines

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nitro to electric..need help with motor choice.

Alright, I decided to convert my nitro truck to electric. Its a Schumacher Fushion 21. I got everything I needed and built the thing..its now only rwd but thats ok. The truck is belt driven and 6-7 pounds..I bought a cheap traxxas 12t 550 motor at the hobby shop. The problem is that it barely even moves. 2mph max. What kind of motor do I need to make this thing 15mph or more? I'm not really using it for speed. I was thinking maybe a 540 27t, but I don't know much about electric r/c cars and trucks..Got any ideas?
Old 08-01-2010, 05:25 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Default RE: nitro to electric..need help with motor choice.

Hi, welcome to RCU. If the esc is really allowing WOT then it needs geared up or volted up or motored up. 6-7 pound vehicle is capable of 20+ mph with that motor.

To be sure it is going WOT hold vehicle down onto a bench carfully and bypass the esc/radio by plugging the motor into the battery directly. Be careful it doesn't get away from you or tangle you up and compare the speed with what you had before. If it's still that slow then use the 3 things I mentioned above.

higher gear , faster spinning motor, higher voltage or combo of 2 or 3 items.
Old 08-01-2010, 05:38 PM
saltines

ORIGINAL: guver

Hi, welcome to RCU. If the esc is really allowing WOT then it needs geared up or volted up or motored up. 6-7 pound vehicle is capable of 20+ mph with that motor.

To be sure it is going WOT hold vehicle down onto a bench carfully and bypass the esc/radio by plugging the motor into the battery directly. Be careful it doesn't get away from you or tangle you up and compare the speed with what you had before. If it's still that slow then use the 3 things I mentioned above.

higher gear , faster spinning motor, higher voltage or combo of 2 or 3 items.
Thanks, I'll try that after my battery is charged up. If Ido need a motor, what would you recommend for the weight of this truck?

Old 08-01-2010, 05:44 PM
saltines

WOW...ok I'm going to go ahead and assume that motor is too weak for the truck..I just tried it and the motor started to smoke after a minute of use.
Old 08-01-2010, 05:46 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

The thing is that depending upon top speed desired even a tiny motor is ok. There sounds like something very bad here if it smoked. Nearly any 540 or 550 sized motor will do a good job up to 20 mph.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:15 PM
saltines

The thing is that depending upon top speed desired even a tiny motor is ok. There sounds like something very bad here if it smoked. Nearly any 540 or 550 sized motor will do a good job up to 20 mph.
Ok thanks. It must be the gear ratio. Do you know of any 60t belt gears I can buy?

Old 08-01-2010, 08:17 PM
BLR o

ORIGINAL: saltines

Thanks, I'll try that after my battery is charged up. If Ido need a motor, what would you recommend for the weight of this truck?

Old 08-02-2010, 08:06 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: saltines

Ok thanks. It must be the gear ratio. Do you know of any 60t belt gears I can buy?

prolly would be a bit easier to buy a 1850 or 2000 KV brushless motor and a brushless ESC for a conversion

from experience nitro conversions are rough on brushed motors(I've smokethed quite a few brushed motors and ESCs in nitro conversions)