Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

School me on what to do!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 06:35 PM
msilage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default School me on what to do!

HeyAll,

I picked up a HPI Blitz at my work today, it came with a Tenergy 7.4v 4000mAh High Discharge Li-Polymer Battery. It also came with a Hyperion EOS 0606i (#HP-EOS0606I-C) Charger, but i can't understand what i am supposed to do with it. It said something about using an automotive battery or another power supply (which i think i can get from work) to charge the battery. I didn't have a manual, and the one i found online looked like greek to me. So im hoping someone can help me figure out how to charge this truck up.

thanks guys
Old 08-05-2010, 06:40 PM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: School me on what to do!

I see Guver is reading this thread He will help you out!
Old 08-05-2010, 06:46 PM
msilage

yea, i glanced at the charger, and didn't take into account it didn't have a wall plug in portion. trying to show my son this truck, and i feel bad i can't even figure out how to charge it
Old 08-05-2010, 07:37 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

If I understand the question properly , the answer is to use a 12 volt dc source to power the charger (like a car battery)
Old 08-05-2010, 07:54 PM
msilage

yea, but do i take the battery out? car on? car off? im used to the wall charges for rc cars
Old 08-05-2010, 07:58 PM
guver

Turn car off, then transmitter. Remove battery and charge in a safe place. I'd get some help for the first time. Someone to look over your shoulder.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:01 PM
msilage

hmm, recommend any chargers that are easier to use?
Old 08-05-2010, 08:20 PM
Krazy Chicken

to charge using a car battery, all you do is clip the alligator clips to the pos and negative terminal on the battery, but make sure the car isn't running.
ORIGINAL: msilage

yea, but do i take the battery out? car on? car off? im used to the wall charges for rc cars
Old 08-05-2010, 08:22 PM
msilage

ok i'll give it a shot
Old 08-05-2010, 08:33 PM
Krazy Chicken

good luck
Old 08-05-2010, 10:36 PM
gelbschnee

You can make your own lab power supply with a computer power supply quite easily with basic knowledge of electronics and a soldering iron (things you should have for this hobby, if you dont already)

Here is the article i used to create my own.

[link=http://www.instructables.com/id/ATX%3E-Lab-Bench-Power-Supply-Conversion/]http://www.instructables.com/id/ATX%3E-Lab-Bench-Power-Supply-Conversion/[/link]
Old 08-05-2010, 11:38 PM
Candre23
My Feedback: (8)

Is this your charger? http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...rger-6S-6A-50W

If so, you don't need a car battery or external power supply. It's an AC/DC charger. You just plug it into the wall and it will work. You can use it with a 12V battery if you want, like if you're at a track and don't have access to power, but you don't have to.

It doesn't appear to come with charging leads (kinda bizare for a $100+ charger), so you'll have to get them separately. Something like this multi-cable will cover pretty much any battery you come across: http://www.amazon.com/Tarantula-Eigh.../dp/B003JDA05K
Old 08-06-2010, 12:22 AM
Dialed_In

ORIGINAL: guver

Turn car off, then transmitter. Remove battery and charge in a safe place. I'd get some help for the first time. Someone to look over your shoulder.
I agree with guver. Get some help and if that's not possible then you need to download and read the Blitz, charger and battery manuals. The Blitz and the Hyperion chargers are quality items. You need to learn more before messing with any hobby grade batteries. I'm not saying this to be rude. I'm saying this for you and your families safety. Lipo batteries have strict rules that need to be followed as they can burst into flames if you don't respect them. You need to learn how to store, charge, discharge them and that's not something you can learn overnight.

Old 08-06-2010, 06:08 AM
msilage

thats the charger it came with, but it also came with another circuit board similar to the one in pictures, that the battery plugs into.

oh i don't take it as being rude at all, like i said, i need to be schooled on this stuff. 

i downloaded a pdf of the manual last night, but i guess i gotta find someone local to talk to, cause i am clueless to this stuff
Old 08-06-2010, 09:12 AM
Candre23
My Feedback: (8)

Weird, it's the same model number, but it's definitely DC only. It's probably a B6 clone, but I don't want to give you instructions for one in case the firmware is slightly different. Your local hobby shop is definitely your best bet here. Bring your truck, batteries and charger and they can help you out. You need compatible charging leads anyway, and they should have them.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:49 AM
Krazy Chicken

dead link, but i did this also, very easy to do, and works great
ORIGINAL: gelbschnee

You can make your own lab power supply with a computer power supply quite easily with basic knowledge of electronics and a soldering iron (things you should have for this hobby, if you dont already)

Here is the article i used to create my own.

[link=http://www.instructables.com/id/ATX%3E-Lab-Bench-Power-Supply-Conversion/]http://www.instructables.com/id/ATX%3E-Lab-Bench-Power-Supply-Conversion/[/link]
Old 08-06-2010, 05:20 PM
guver

Remove rc car battery with car off. For the supply battery in a big car you don't have to remove it and can leave it off.

Old 08-06-2010, 05:21 PM
guver

There's plenty of simpler chargers on the market. I would like whoever sold you this combo to help you with it since it probably was all used together.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:43 PM
FrankWilliams
My Feedback: (13)

Take it to your local hobby shop (a non-chain one preferably) and have them help you. They might not know the exact details on your charger, but they should be able to figure it out quite quickly. I know I can master a new charger within minutes (or seconds) after scrolling through the menu, same with a computerized transmitter. Then, the next time you want to buy an R/C car purchase from them so they'll still be around next year to help you out further.

-Frank
Old 08-06-2010, 06:59 PM
msilage

ok so i went to a hobby shop, the guy walked me through what to do, but how do i know when it is done charging? when i hooked it up it was at like 5.456v, right now its about 7.610v and still climbing. not sure when it is supposed to stop
Old 08-06-2010, 07:30 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

It'll make a beeping noise of some sort. At least that's how ThunderbirdJunkie's chargers of the past forever have done
Old 08-06-2010, 07:53 PM
Dialed_In

Your lipo is 7.4 volts which is a 2s lipo or in other words it is a 2 cell lipo. The nominal voltage for a 2 cell lipo is 7.4 volts and they should peak at 8.4 volts or 4.2 volts per cell. Never go higher than 4.2 volts per cell as this could damage your batteries and it can be dangerous. On the flip side, never go below 3 volts per cell as this will also damage the battery permanently.

If you battery charger is set properly it should automatically balance the cells and stop charging when the cells reach around 4.2 volts each. Mine tends to go a bit higher and lingers around 4.2 for a good while before it peaks and stops charging. You want to keep each lipo cell balanced at the same voltage. This is important to prevent damaging a cell.

What ESC (electronic speed control) and motor does your blitz have? I'm not familiar with the Blitz's RTR (ready to run) ESC (electronic speed control). If your running lipo batteries your ESC needs an LVC (low voltage cutoff) to prevent the lipos from going below 3 volts per cell. You may or may not need to turn it on manually according to the ESC's instructions. If your ESC doesn't have an LVC then you should probably get an external LVC or LVA (low voltage alarm). The alarm would warn you when to stop running before you over discharge your lipo.

You also need to be charging in a safe place and preferably using a lipo sack to charge the lipo in. Some people also use an ammo case to store and charge their lipos. If at any time during charging, discharging your lipo starts to swell/puff you need to stop what your doing and put the lipo in a safe place away from anything flammable. Swelling is a sign that something is wrong and you should seek help from the hobby shop as it may be time to dispose of the lipo properly. If it does catch fire do not use water to extinguish the flames. A fire extinguisher may work but I'm not sure which type would be best. Smothering it with sand or dirt may be a better option.

I hope this helps a little. If you can post what ESC and motor combo your running it may help others determine if you lipo has a built in LVC.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:09 PM
guver

The battery is already discharged too low. Is it too late to get a refund? Each cell should be above 3.7 volts resting. You should stop charging and get some help. Or at the least measure each cell's voltage.

ok so i went to a hobby shop, the guy walked me through what to do, but how do i know when it is done charging? when i hooked it up it was at like 5.456v, right now its about 7.610v and still climbing. not sure when it is supposed to stop
Old 08-07-2010, 12:27 AM
Dialed_In

ORIGINAL: guver

The battery is already discharged too low. Is it too late to get a refund? Each cell should be above 3.7 volts resting. You should stop charging and get some help. Or at the least measure each cell's voltage.

Nice catch guver!
Old 08-07-2010, 10:05 AM
msilage

well i charged it last night, took an hour, ran for about 15-20 mins or so before the battery died. what is the normal run time for one of these cars?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.