Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Novak ESC LED help. WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 12:44 AM
abeatlesfan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Novak ESC LED help. WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO!

So I just bought a Traxxas Rustler vxl-3s and it was working until all of a sudden, well it didn't. I have a brushless Novak 10.5 Super Sport, at least that's what it says. I have many flashing lights going off and I have NO idea how to turn them off. The online manuals are no help. So here's what they are...

1. I hit the throttle and hold onto it for a few seconds, and the blue and green light blink three-four times and then stop and stay on.

2. I hold reverse and the green light blinks.

I am able to steer the front wheels at all times, but the motor doesn't seem to want to work. Here's the list of question I hope someone can answer...

So how do I fix all of this?

Is there a chart I can look up to see what each light indicator means?

How do I "reset" the ESC?

Is there a chart somewhere where I can see the maximum voltage/cells allowed before the motor burns up?

As usual thanks for looking and have a good day!

A Beatles Fan
Old 08-30-2010, 12:47 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Novak ESC LED help. WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO!

RTFM

If you read the manual it tells you how to set it up. Not familiar wtih the modern brushless Novak ESCs, but their old one-touch setup brushed ESCs were press and hold the button until you got a blinking light. Pull the trigger until light starts blinking a different color. Let go of the throttle. when it starts blinking, neutral is set. Then push full brake/reverse until it starts blinking.

Then you done.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:53 AM
abeatlesfan

Unfortunately, it didn't come with a manual (bought it offline). I tried resetting it, I think I did, each light blinked in sequence, but as soon as it was done I hit the throttle and the blue and green lights started blinking again. Thanks for the quick response though!

A Beatles Fan
Old 08-30-2010, 01:12 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Well download the manual that Novak has for every single one of their ESC's since the Dually on their site and read it.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:25 AM
abeatlesfan

See that's the funny thing, I think I found the proper manual a couple of days ago. I read the big bold box called "Locked Rotor Detection" It says something is obstructing one of the wheels/drivetrain, which nothing is. And the directions say that once the throttle is back into a neutral position, I regain control of my motor, which obviously hasn't happened...

http://www.teamnovak.com/download/in...port_Instr.pdf
Old 08-30-2010, 09:29 AM
FoamyVictim

If you can't sort it out and the manual is no help, you have two choices. Take it to your local hobby shop and ask for help, OR, send it back to Novak for repair. Unless you have a local race track with a helpful and knowledgeable racer willing to give you a hand.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:44 AM
abeatlesfan

Alright, well thanks for trying anyways!
Old 08-30-2010, 11:03 AM
mazdaprotege4
My Feedback: (32)

deleted

Old 08-30-2010, 02:12 PM
Slo-V Flyer

Check the wiring. It is quite possible the 3 main wires are crossed, the sensor harness is shot, or a combination of above. Also, make sure you can spin the rotor/pinion by hand and it doesn't bind.

Could be a dead motor too altogether (overheated/physical damage). They design their motors to be serviceable, if you want to open up the front bell and check it out, if it helps, to make sure the rotor isn't atomized or something hah.