RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   The Evader Coalition ~ T.E.C. Part 2. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/10810730-evader-coalition-%7E-t-e-c-part-2-a.html)

sheograth 11-13-2011 06:40 PM

The Evader Coalition ~ T.E.C. Part 2.

The old thread was huge, it was beginning to be a drain on the servers. Continue here!

cummins driver 11-13-2011 07:06 PM

RE: The Evader Coalition ~ T.E.C. Part 2.

1st poster:)

Im really hoping they either hardened this new top shaft gear or made it of a different material all together. Im thinking they surely did, because it wont last long in the new brushless evader if not and they will be replacing a lot of them.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...9622&search=Go

Edit- Here is the old "evader coalition" thread for those who want to go back and read it:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3856726/tm.htm

rclugnut10 11-13-2011 07:14 PM

well it is redesigned so hopefully it will be out of a better metal too, tho i've never had an issue with my top gears they could've changed something since the ext... maybe???

the lug

cummins driver 11-13-2011 07:48 PM

I surely hope so. Its going to be reason enough for me to buy a T4.1 if they dont have it changed. I never ran anything other than the stock tires, no real jarring of the driveline since i wasnt jumping much or anything. I noticed when i took it out last night it was sounding rougher than normal. I kept waiting for a ticking noise. Finally it started, then got worse and i quit because i knew what had happened. [&:]

shenlonco 11-13-2011 08:16 PM

:D yep the evader top gear ripping syndrome!!
I hardend mine myself and so far so good!

cummins driver 11-13-2011 09:59 PM

I was hoping yours was just a fluke and that mine wouldnt have that issue, but im afraid not. I dont know what to do about it. Im going to e-mail duratrax and see if they can give me any information on the new top gear/shaft and its material.

cumquat 11-14-2011 01:12 AM

its a metal gear designed to drive a plastic gear, thats why the original ext didnt have that issue. if you get the new top shaft, you also need the new slipper assembly as it uses the ae design.

shenlonco 11-14-2011 05:45 AM

ORIGINAL: cummins driver

I was hoping yours was just a fluke and that mine wouldnt have that issue, but im afraid not. I dont know what to do about it. Im going to e-mail duratrax and see if they can give me any information on the new top gear/shaft and its material.

Yea i would just give them a call... I would not get hopes to hight i bet they used the same metal there probably to stupid to notice brushless eats them away from guy's on boards always complaining about it.

But then again who knows maybe they did make it stronger ... I sure hope so!

cummins driver 11-14-2011 06:22 AM

Well I just got off the phone with duratrax. They are sending me a whole new assembled differential :D At least thats what he told me. Im very anxious to see if it happens to be the brushless one or not. Ill check the slipper setup when it comes in and see of its the regular or brushless tranny. It would be awesome if it were the brushless version, but im not getting my hopes up. haha

Anyways, cant complain with their customer service so far anyways, I just really wish they would get this transmission sorted out. Thats the only thing holding this truck back IMO. Tower has $25 off and free shipping right now, so its all i can do to keep myself from ordering the T4.1....

cummins driver 11-14-2011 07:03 AM

ORIGINAL: cumquat

its a metal gear designed to drive a plastic gear, thats why the original ext didnt have that issue.
Yep, that is the problem.

Has anyone tried running it with the optional aluminum idler to see if it gets chewed up or not still? Im guessing maybe both gears would wear in this case. Im sure a plastic idler would keep the top gear from wearing, but then im sure id be stripping the idlers left and right since they werent very strong.

I just shot duratrax an e-mail concerning the top gear. Ill see if they can give me any information or not.

rclugnut10 11-14-2011 07:05 AM

i've never had an issue with the top gear, i recently replaced one but i only have a few packs on it due to school and such... i stripped a few plastic gears on it, and then 2 of the aluminum got sharpened as well... the top gear was relatively unaffected. i'm just going to wait until the BL parts come out and slowly buy up those...

the lug

cummins driver 11-14-2011 07:15 AM

ORIGINAL: rclugnut10
i'm just going to wait until the BL parts come out and slowly buy up those...

the lug
I can handle waiting on the brushless parts if they are better, but im just worried the top gear may be of the same materials as the one we currently have. When my replacement transmission comes in, i think ill pull it apart and grease it up some. Could possibly help a little.

cumquat 11-14-2011 10:17 AM

even if it is, you can still pot gobs of grease in there without having to worry about softening the plastic gears. as they come, they are without much (if any) grease which is one of the issues. with grease, you shouldnt be making too many knife wheels.

Noff 11-14-2011 10:56 AM

The new top shaft is case hardened / black oxide coated.

For those with Evaders with a considerable amount of run-time, don't overlook plastic fatigue in your transmission housings if you are shearing gears in your transmission. A stretched / fatigued gearbox can cause the gears to be slightly out of alignment causing the gears to strip.

cummins driver 11-14-2011 02:20 PM

Thanks again for the info Noff. I was just fixing to pass it along here so that some of the other evader owners could be happy about having an upgraded top gear like I am. [8D]

shenlonco 11-14-2011 02:34 PM

:D cool glad DTX made a new updated gear!!

Scooter30 11-15-2011 01:26 AM

I was wondering if that thread would go on forever. I don't see how you could find anything in there with 800+ pages anyway.

NoTraxxisRustler 11-15-2011 07:12 PM

Ha! Itried the aluminum gear in my EXT. The top gear sharpened the teeth on that oneAND it cost $15.00.

I've gotta think that they did just a little research before releasing the Evader BL. Cripes I hope so at least . .

I've still got my EXT bc I did not want to shell the cashout for a new truck, bc ultimately, I'd have to buy one for my son. Both of ours have Associated diffs, mine is a ball diff and his is gear.They are great.

I have to say, it's kind of a downer to see people come on to this thread only to see their optimism wane when they start toasting trannies, etc.

If Duratrax was MY company, I'd be busting some chops. There are a lot of people that would spend $125.00 for a platform such as the EXT2 that they could build on.Most peopl don't want to swap tranniesand stuff. They'lll just run it til it breaks then put it on Ebay.

BTW - anyone seee that new sport truck from Thunder Tiger?? Looks like an Evader.

NTR

its a metal gear designed to drive a plastic gear, thats why the original ext didnt have that issue.
Yep, that is the problem.

Has anyone tried running it with the optional aluminum idler to see if it gets chewed up or not still? Im guessing maybe both gears would wear in this case. Im sure a plastic idler would keep the top gear from wearing, but then im sure id be stripping the idlers left and right since they werent very strong.

I just shot duratrax an e-mail concerning the top gear. Ill see if they can give me any information or not.

cumquat 11-15-2011 07:42 PM

what TT are you talking about?

cummins driver 11-15-2011 07:56 PM

ORIGINAL: NoTraxxisRustler

Ha! I tried the aluminum gear in my EXT. The top gear sharpened the teeth on that one AND it cost $15.00.

I've gotta think that they did just a little research before releasing the Evader BL. Cripes I hope so at least . .

I've still got my EXT bc I did not want to shell the cash out for a new truck, bc ultimately, I'd have to buy one for my son. Both of ours have Associated diffs, mine is a ball diff and his is gear. They are great.

I have to say, it's kind of a downer to see people come on to this thread only to see their optimism wane when they start toasting trannies, etc.

If Duratrax was MY company, I'd be busting some chops. There are a lot of people that would spend $125.00 for a platform such as the EXT2 that they could build on. Most peopl don't want to swap tranniesand stuff. They'lll just run it til it breaks then put it on Ebay.

BTW - anyone seee that new sport truck from Thunder Tiger?? Looks like an Evader.

NTR

I figured the aluminum idler wouldnt really be the fix. And im with you in that its not worth the $15 unless it was the ultimate fix.

I agree. The Evader platform is honestly probably unbeatable for the money. Its a race worthy chassis that holds up pretty well to bashing too, yet the transmission continues to be the one big flaw of the truck. It wasnt so bad back when everyone ran brushed motors, but now that brushless is very commonplace, the transmission is an area that needs to be pretty strong.

I do think that they may have finally come up with a solution now that the top gear is of a better material and the diff gear is going to be steel (i assume). This could save the evader from falling behind. Obviously they are still trying to keep it up to date by releasing a waterproof brushless version and updating the tranny again, so I have high hopes. They have good customer service, if they get the transmission upgraded (like i think they will), there really wont be any big weal links on the truck that i can see [8D]

cumquat 11-15-2011 08:59 PM

i'm iffy about the bl version because it costs the same as the t4.1 and reliability remains to be seen. the only way to tell is to drop the $50 or so for the updates.

cummins driver 11-16-2011 05:09 AM

i'm iffy about the bl version because it costs the same as the t4.1 and reliability remains to be seen. the only way to tell is to drop the $50 or so for the updates.
I think the brushless version is coming in a little too high. If they have all the bugs worked out of the transmission, it will be a good truck, but at that price, it has to compete with the brushless T4.1, which is a great truck. However, the evader being waterproof, and with the bumper and wheelie bar will appeal better to bashers. Time will tell.

NoTraxxisRustler 11-17-2011 03:19 AM

Phoenix STII Stadium Truck. 160 bucks. 2.4 G radio. "Race winning tranny"

what TT are you talking about?

cumquat 11-17-2011 08:05 AM

thats actually a t3 clone and was released a while ago.

ElectricGuy007 11-17-2011 01:21 PM

Im glad Duratrax is stepping up the plate and finally putting brushless in thier RTR RC's,
I assume they are thinking durability because they are also putting metal gears in the RTR's,

I use to buy duratrax products, never had one failure except once and it was my fault the product failed.
Not the product failing on it's own. What failed was a duratrax speed control, and that was because I plugged
a battery up to it backwards on accident seven years ago, DONT EVER THINK ABOUT DOING THAT... haha it will let out magic smoke...
What does everyone think about that brushless motorcycle they make? They look kinda cool I think.

rclugnut10 11-17-2011 01:58 PM

i've heard good things about it, not amazing but it's pretty good aparently....

the lug

thehuntingterminator 11-17-2011 04:26 PM

they look pretty sweet its just such a weird RC, its kinda of "jack-of-no-trades" type of deal.

ORIGINAL: ElectricGuy007

Im glad Duratrax is stepping up the plate and finally putting brushless in thier RTR RC's,
I assume they are thinking durability because they are also putting metal gears in the RTR's,

I use to buy duratrax products, never had one failure except once and it was my fault the product failed.
Not the product failing on it's own. What failed was a duratrax speed control, and that was because I plugged
a battery up to it backwards on accident seven years ago, DONT EVER THINK ABOUT DOING THAT... haha it will let out magic smoke...
What does everyone think about that brushless motorcycle they make? They look kinda cool I think.

cummins driver 11-17-2011 05:06 PM

Well i got my warrantied parts today... Except they didnt send the top shaft. lol I called back and have the top gear on the way free of charge[8D]

The guy told me i should have told the first guy the part numbers to what i needed that way he could have sent it all. I tried to stress it to him that the first guy never asked for any part numbers (i was ready to give them to him), and just acted like he was sending a whole tranny. He just kept saying that i should have gave him the part numbers. lol

Anyways, should have it up and running again as soon as the top gear comes in. Im going on a 2 day vacation in early december, and plan on taking the evader with me to run while im there[8D]

EXT2Rob 11-23-2011 12:06 AM

Guys, I've been running a Castle Sidewinder V2 5700kv system in my Vader since Summer. It's crazy powerful. I'm not stripping out my top gear anymore. But IWAS stripping them out with the STOCKPHOTON. Must've gone thru at least three. The only thing Ican figure is that back then Iwas running mostly on grass. Now as I've gotten better, gotten faster, and am running in a different area where we;ve pretty well worn most of the greenery away, we;re running on dirt.....tires spin more easily, less strain on the 'train. (but more wear on the rubber!) I've been beating the crap out of this car pretty much every day AND MY TRANNY ISSUES ARE NIL.

CUMMINSDRIVER, Isaw your video - pullin' wheelies on asphalt = tranny dammage, if done too much. No matter what car you have. These suckers are tough, but they ain't indestructable! Grass apparently also is a little harder on the drive train. DON'T GIVE UP ON THE EVADER. I was beginning to wonder myself about DTX quality, but I'm beginning to think it was mostly my bad driving and over-zealous use of the throttle in the wrong situations. Now I'm running this crazy 5700kv motor, GPS-clocked at over 40mph and no problems.

Sure, I've made upgrades and replaced parts (LOSI makes a nice ball/nut that screws on to a 3/8 4-40 hex head screw to replace those pulled-out stockers)
But that's been part of the journey, learning about these things as they need replacing. Oh, DOGBONES, I'm hear to tell ya - they WILL wear out under BL power!
I've been waiting months for those DTX CVDs to get back in stock!! Ialso recently TWISTEDINHALF one of my drive axles. So Ireally need those CVDs!! But like Isaid, I've been beating on this car since last Xmas, almost every day!! I'll bet no one else here can say that. And brushless LiPo since summer.

I'm glad it looks like DTX has made some well-thought upgrades to the new BL edition. I'll be getting a new metal diff when they come out. Will proabaly need it when Iput on my new PL Gladiators. I've been running the Dirt Hawg IIs and they're a good all-around truck tire, but seemed like Ineeded a little more traction in the dirt my "track" is becoming and my LHS guy lead me to the Gladiators. Yeah I've stripped a few diffs, but diff cases are cheap, and easy to fix. probably was running the slipper to tight.

Been running a 17T pinion with an 87T Associated spur. Still had so much flippin torque Ihad a hard time controling the car coming out of turns. Finally got the Castle-Link dongle so as to make use of the ESC programability. Torque Control turned out to be very useful. Dialed that back and now the car is much more controlable, and recovers more easily from getting tail-happy (which is still does if one is too impatient - one must go slow to go fast, Grasshoppah!) The gearing, with the Torque Control still give it PLENTYof torque, and the top end is still there, so, low speed control with considerable top-end, much more than you'll ever need around a course (Irarely get above half- to 3/4-throttle, but can, if Iwanna pull a wheelie!) Idid get an IRtemp sensor, and monitored my motor temps over the summer. The gearing Ihave seems to have worked pretty well over the hot California Summer. I'm gonna guess the new BL Vader, using a 24T pinion, is a little over-geared.

OH, and +1 on those EZRUN B2 Combos from HobbyPartz!! My buddy has one and I'm DYING to get my hands on one for the wife's car. Ithink it's the 35A ESC with the Blue-Finned motor - 4200kV? - or 3900? Anyway, GREAT little unit for the price and drives much easier than my admitedly over-powered 5700kv SV2.

Oh and one more thing before Isign off: You guys that'r up-grading your EXT2s with any brushless system......you'll soon be needing to replace the stock steering servo, cuz it'll be stripped out. Get one of these, if you can find them in stock: http://www.hobbypartz.com/servo-mg946r.html Cheap, strong, and center well, fast enough, hard to beat for $12.

It seems to me, the key to durability, like everything else, is up-keep. I run my car ALOT. So, about every two weeks, or if it "sounds like it needs it", I'll crack open the tranny and inspect and re-lube (THEY COME FROM THE FACTORY WOEFULLY UNDER-GREASED). Aluminum is for cans, not for gears.

Cheers,
Rob

NoTraxxisRustler 11-23-2011 04:00 PM

EXT2Rob

Do you know anyone who has used those DTX CVDs? I keep bending axles.

I have no idea how you are driving that vader with 5700KV motor. Mine with a 3200KV motor is a beast. As the old saying goes, anything will fly with a big enough motor. Seems to apply with mine.

I'd like to see how that new tranny hardware is. Hopefully they are not using pot metal and saying "metal gears".

NTR 

cummins driver 11-23-2011 04:25 PM

ORIGINAL: EXT2Rob

CUMMINS DRIVER, I saw your video - pullin' wheelies on asphalt = tranny dammage, if done too much. No matter what car you have. These suckers are tough, but they ain't indestructable! Grass apparently also is a little harder on the drive train. DON'T GIVE UP ON THE EVADER. I was beginning to wonder myself about DTX quality, but I'm beginning to think it was mostly my bad driving and over-zealous use of the throttle in the wrong situations. Now I'm running this crazy 5700kv motor, GPS-clocked at over 40mph and no problems.

Well, honestly I think it should hold up doing that. It would if it had a good steel diff gear, and a top gear from good material. I still like my evader, however I just bought a brushless T4 for a smokin price, and i may end up keeping it and selling the evader stock. Ill have to see how I like it when it comes in. The T4 was too good a deal to pass up, so Ill either part it out, keep the brushless and sell the rest of it, or sell a few things from the T4, then sell the Evader and fix up the T4 some to keep.

I figured the bones would give out after a while. Those spring pins will wear through eventually. Its not a huge deal since the bones are cheap, but i like solid pin dogbones better.

jrowles91 11-23-2011 10:38 PM

Hey guys, been quite some time since I've been in the coalition thread, but some of my buddies just bought some short coarse trucks that I want to race with my ST, and was wondering which tires to go with. My LHS likes the Proline Dirt Hawg 2. What are your thoughts?

cumquat 11-24-2011 06:11 AM

as you know, terrain is everything. where are you running? the dirt hawgs are good on all terrains except on rocks (as in rock crawling) but are not the best on anything (with the possible exception of gravel).

jrowles91 11-24-2011 07:00 AM

Oh true. Sorry about the lack of detail. We would be in a dirt field most of the time so id assume packed dirt with areas of looser top soil. There is a local track by me but don't think id be there to often.

cummins driver 11-24-2011 08:14 AM

On a track or hard packed dirt, some sort of pin tire is the only way to go. For all around bashing, the dirt hawg, or dirt works would be good options.

jrowles91 11-24-2011 10:01 AM

On a track or hard packed dirt, some sort of pin tire is the only way to go. For all around bashing, the dirt hawg, or dirt works would be good options.
Well it's just going to be mainly bashing in a field. I don't want track specific tires, but more of an all around tire. Guess I'll go with the recommended. Thanks for the push for a decision!!!

jrowles91 11-24-2011 10:02 AM

Oh secondary question. I know Proline changed the mounting of some of their tires. Do you know if those tires will mount on the stock Evader ST wheels?

EXT2Rob 11-24-2011 11:45 AM

ORIGINAL: NoTraxxisRustler

EXT2Rob

Do you know anyone who has used those DTX CVDs? I keep bending axles.

I have no idea how you are driving that vader with 5700KV motor. Mine with a 3200KV motor is a beast.As the old saying goes, anything will fly with a big enough motor. Seems to apply with mine.

I'd like to see how that new tranny hardware is. Hopefully they are not using pot metal and saying "metal gears".

NTR
Yeah, my buddy has the CVDs on his 4600kv SV2, he really likes 'em. Ireally need 'em for my car. IHAVE worn out the pins on the ends of my dogbones.
If it wasn't for the tweakability of the Castle system via CastleLink, my car would probably be nearly undriveable. The most important parameter being the Torque Control adjustment which limits the amount of torque. Ihave much more control at lower speeds of the power delivery now, like when coming out of corners. Still has an incredible top end.

I don't know if Proline tires will mount to the stock wheels. Since they used very little glue at the assembly plant, you probably could get them off without too much crap left on the rim. The Dirt Hawg IIs were an improvement over the stock tires, and are a better "all around" tire than the stock. They're great on really short grass, but on bare dirt, Ithink the PL Gladiators are going to hook up better.

IHAVEgone thru a number of Top Gears and Diffs in the year I've had the car. Oddly, tho, I haven't stripped a Top Gear since going brushless! Idid strip a diff gear. Ialso installed basically the same slipper setup DTX is now using in the BL version.

CUMMINS - You are probably right, if the tranny gears are of sufficient quality (and THERE'Sthe rub!) you should be able to wheelie yer brains out, but the stock evader drive train, while pretty strong, is not bullet-proof. The new tranny with the metal diff case should be a BIG improvement in the bullet-proof direction. You still might wanna drop a tooth or three on your pinion. The stock 20T is too high. (Ican't believe the BLversion comes with a 24T!! That motor will get HOT. 20T would be better)

Happy Thanksgiving, y'all!
Rob
Rob

cumquat 11-24-2011 06:06 PM

ORIGINAL: jrowles91

Oh secondary question. I know Proline changed the mounting of some of their tires. Do you know if those tires will mount on the stock Evader ST wheels?
nope, doesnt look like it was changed.

cummins driver 11-24-2011 08:04 PM

ORIGINAL: EXT2Rob

I HAVE gone thru a number of Top Gears and Diffs in the year I've had the car. Oddly, tho, I haven't stripped a Top Gear since going brushless! I did strip a diff gear. I also installed basically the same slipper setup DTX is now using in the BL version.

CUMMINS - You are probably right, if the tranny gears are of sufficient quality (and THERE'S the rub!) you should be able to wheelie yer brains out, but the stock evader drive train, while pretty strong, is not bullet-proof. The new tranny with the metal diff case should be a BIG improvement in the bullet-proof direction. You still might wanna drop a tooth or three on your pinion. The stock 20T is too high. (I can't believe the BL version comes with a 24T!! That motor will get HOT. 20T would be better)
The evader driveline at the moment is a little on the weak side for me. With larger, meatier tires like you'd run for bashing, you really have to leave the slipper too loose. My stampede with a brushless never had any transmission problems at all. I twisted the slider driveshafts over time, but never a problem from the transmission even with masher 2k's on it. Thats how the evader should be, and IF they used good materials on the gears in the new brushless one, it should be like that;) I dont like the material the case is made from that well though. Its a cheaper looking plastic compared to the rest of the truck's plastic, however i dont think it should cause any problem for its use.

I run the stock 20t pinion on mine, and it could easily handle a taller gear IMO. I think you are used to your 5700kv? motor that you are running. Thats a big difference from the 3900kv they will have. haha It will definately be fast with that setup though:D

Happy thanksgiving to you too!