RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   onyx bl system...?? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/11454197-onyx-bl-system.html)

trx1 03-23-2013 04:22 PM

onyx bl system...??

i just bought a onyx 3930 bl system....have a few??'s
do i have to run lipo??
will it run on a speedpack3300 nimh??
how do i turn off the LVC on it so i can run nimh packs??

nitrosportsandrunner 03-23-2013 04:36 PM

RE: onyx bl system...??

ORIGINAL: trx1

do i have to run lipo??
ouch, green type hurts the eyes!

brushless systems can run on a nimh battery. But its like running a drag car on pump gas. you will only get 80% of what that motor can do. It will be faster than the brushed system you had, but up to a 2s lipo and it will be much better.
did your system come with a manual? some can be programed via the radio (tones and beeps) some can link to a computer and others can have optional program card.(my fav)

lone_wheeler 03-24-2013 07:28 PM

At last check, the onyx bl systems are made by castle, so their programming card or usb interface should allow you to set your esc up the way you want it.

And yes, lipos are better than nimh for brushless systems. Once I get better at control and tighten my steering up i'm getting a 2S lipo pack.

EXT2Rob 03-26-2013 08:27 AM

Yes, you can run NiMhs on a brushless system, won't hurt the system, but it WILL hurt the battery.  NiMhs just aren't designed to dump current like LiPos can, and the NiMh battery will get hot. Heat is bad. It will eventually kill the pack.  But, I suppose you might as well use them until they're dead (unless you have a friend who's still running NiMhs).

redfisher1974 03-26-2013 08:33 AM

do i have to run lipo??

$15 for programming card... [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCACX&P=M]LOOKY HERE[/link]

trx1 03-26-2013 09:36 AM

ok,2nd ?'s
1. ive seen that lipos need special chargeres..am i right??
2. puffing...??
3. HARDvsSOFT...which is better??
4. ive heard these will run then just stop...whats with that??
5. storage...what do i need??

redfisher1974 03-26-2013 09:56 AM

ok,2nd ?'s
2. puffing...??

Google "LIPO UNIVERSITY" will tell you what you need to know.

trx1 03-26-2013 12:50 PM

didnt tell me anything i wanted to know...

redfisher1974 03-26-2013 12:57 PM

You're joking right?

trx1 03-26-2013 01:19 PM

graphs and charts dont help me....i did find out for my lhs a few things tho

redfisher1974 03-26-2013 02:15 PM

graphs and charts dont help me....i did find out for my lhs a few things tho
You'll be a pro in no time my friend.

EXT2Rob 03-27-2013 10:02 AM

ok,2nd ?'s
2. puffing...??
1. Yes, you need a charger specificly designed for LiPos. http://www.hobbypartz.com/73p-ac680-accharger.html
2. Puffing is an indicator that the battery is being stressed. Either being charged too fast, or drained too fast, than it was designed to be. Be sure to get a battery that can handle the Amp draw the motor system wants. Get at least a LiPo rated at 40C continuous.
3. Hard case, in cars, always.
4. LiPos should never be drained below 3.0V per cell. That's why BL systems have a setting for "LiPo Cut-Off" which should be set to 3.2V per cell. When the ESC detects the battery voltage, under load, has dropped below the set point, it cuts the power to the motor.
5. Storage? Not sure of your question, but, LiPos do not like to be left sitting fully charged or discharged. They like to "rest" at 3.86V per cell. LiPo chargers have a "Storage" mode just for this. As for the horror stories you may have heard about spontanious combustion with LiPos: BAH! As long as you don't damage them physically (hence, Hard Cases) and don't do something stupid like over-charge/-discharge don't worry about it. Iwouldn't even waste my money on so-called "LiPo charging bags".

crazy nick 03-27-2013 01:51 PM

ORIGINAL: lone_wheeler

At last check, the onyx bl systems are made by castle

False, the element was made by castle, the onyx is made by hobbywing

ElectricGuy007 03-27-2013 03:30 PM

Im getting one of these for my 2wd Corr truck. Might as well get the 2-pole version.
I have Lipo packs thou, so not wanting to run nimh anymore really.

trx1 03-27-2013 05:08 PM

DTXC3164 Onyx 1/10 Scale 3930kV Brushless System

thats the one i have...so where do i start with batteries/chargers??

EXT2Rob 03-28-2013 07:03 AM

1.  Yes, you need a charger specificly designed for LiPos. http://www.hobbypartz.com/73p-ac680-accharger.html
2. Puffing is an indicator that the battery is being stressed.  Either being charged too fast, or drained too fast, than it was designed to be. Be sure to get a battery that can handle the Amp draw the motor system wants.  Get at least a LiPo rated at 40C continuous.
3. Hard case, in cars, always.
4. LiPos should never be drained below 3.0V per cell. That's why BL systems have a setting for "LiPo Cut-Off" which should be set to 3.2V per cell. When the ESC detects the battery voltage, under load, has dropped below the set point, it cuts the power to the motor.
5. Storage? Not sure of your question, but, LiPos do not like to be left sitting fully charged or discharged. They like to "rest" at 3.86V per cell. LiPo chargers have a "Storage" mode just for this.  As for the horror stories you may have heard about spontanious combustion with LiPos:  BAH! As long as you don't damage them physically (hence, Hard Cases) and don't do something stupid like over-charge/-discharge don't worry about it. I wouldn't even waste my money on so-called "LiPo charging bags".

<span class="info"> </span>

trx1 03-29-2013 07:07 PM

what about the onyx brand?? my lhs carries these.

EXT2Rob 03-30-2013 07:32 AM

They're probably good. Just get a decent C-rating.  How much are they at your LHS, tho?  I'd bet over $60.  You could get a Gens Ace brand $20 cheaper at HobbyPartz.

redfisher1974 03-30-2013 07:37 AM

Or a zippy even cheaper at HobbyKing.

trx1 04-02-2013 01:34 AM

dont know if i wanna keep this or not!
seems like i cant run nimh on it.
this is why im not a fan of bl systems.
only one ive enjoyed is the vxl system.
it can handle nimh!

ElectricGuy007 04-02-2013 02:48 PM

Once you go Lipo you'll forget all about NIMH. I have ditched all my nimh packs for Lipo packs.
I wouldnt even complain, because all you gotta do is buy a lipo and a lipo charger.

trx1 04-02-2013 03:06 PM

and i hear those arnt cheap either

redfisher1974 04-02-2013 03:34 PM

They are if you get them from Hobbyking.

trx1 04-04-2013 12:01 PM

so is HK in the USA??

redfisher1974 04-04-2013 01:01 PM

They are from china but they have a warehouse in the USA.