RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   The Official Traxxas Slash short-course race truck (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/7367370-official-traxxas-slash-short-course-race-truck.html)

mc4798 07-06-2010 05:24 AM

RE: The Official Traxxas Slash short-course race truck

ORIGINAL: Redvanmafia

My slash is amazing, i have full rpm/proline hop up parts, 100amp esc with vxl motor 3s lipo geared 25/76 right now but it runs hot 160-170, im gonna drop the 86t on it later on, i have no complaints have only broken 3-4 parts in a season, small things like the body mounts front and rear bumper nothing serious theres a rollcage comming soon and new tires and wheels i'll take photo's and video then. I have a few questions on handling i have a pro trac system installed, have 2 degrees of camber outback 2.5 in the front with -2 degrees of toe but the rear wheels still seem to slide alot, is there anything i can do set-up wise to stop this?, im running 35wt all around with progressive weight springs, its also fairly twitchy in the steering, my stock tires are getting close to bald im sure the new tires will help alot

LMFAO

I mean the ONLY thing you know how to do is buy parts !

Cant tune a balldiff.

Cant get your slash to handle ? Could have saved yourself about 500.00 by just getting a blitz or sc10.

You cannot spend your way into tuning or driving.

What a GOON !

lez1troubles 07-06-2010 05:46 AM

Got my hands on a Traxxas Slash last night, first time I've seen on or had a go with one. After reading most of what was going one here I thought it would be a good truck, hate to say this but Traxxas IS one of the crappiest models I've ever seen. Plastic this, plastic that. O.K it can be up-graded to Aluminium but it'll cost an arm and a leg just to get it done. Why not just get a decent buggy or car in the first place.
My OLD Tamiya Sand Scorcher is already a thousand times better than any thing Traxxas has ever built, and its faster(Brushless)'n'stronger. I prooved that last night to the guys here. I'll make a video this weekend so you can also see that I'm not talking out my ass.[:'(]

cika 07-06-2010 06:49 AM

I will strongly disagree! I have owned about every brand of RC there is and Traxxas holds up very well. I will agree the plastic shocks are junk and luckily I havent owned any XL5 models. I see that the links/rods are plasic on those as well. But I own a few VXL models and a Slash 2WD. There built like tanks IMO. I had a mini Revo with a little alum and T bone and couldnt break it if I tried. I needed to step in on this. Not looking to start an argument. But there nicely built RC's.  

G!NhO 07-06-2010 08:06 AM

Tyical fanboy... but why would you want all aluminium parts just to have them bend and having to get another one that costs a fortune...

Oh and i guess the "old" sand scorcher came stock with a brushless..... lol Put a brushless set in a slash and it flys too.<br type="_moz" />

carlosponti 07-06-2010 12:33 PM

I have yet to tear out a part on my slash im no fan boy either i have losi and i have had tamiya(rough rider). i ran the slash head on into the curb missing where i was needing to go i always expect to see a torn A arm. upgrading to aluminum is not always a good thing like mentioned in previous post it bends so you have to replace it anyhow but much more expensive to do so. i can scarcely say anything i have bought was junk mind you i may not have liked a feature or design in a car but junk hardly! what exactly did you break on it and what were you doing leading up to the crash. also get a blitz SC10 or any of the other flavors of Short Course truck and see if it doesn't have plastic on it. to be honest i bash pretty hard sometimes and haven't broken parts like some of the guys. breaking a part heading into a curb isnt exactly the cars fault. ive seen videos of cars being launched 30 feet and surviving or breaking in both cases didnt make the car a better model or not a better model. RC CARS BREAK simple as that if you are bashing racing etc and you hit it with enough force it will break. now if you are just taking it out for its first spin and something falls off that is the fault of the manufacturer. often enough you will find your own full scale automobile is more fragile than most rc cars all with plastic. at the smaller scale the plastic is more resilient than the metal and its cheaper. try replacing all the plastic parts with metal see how much it costs. i would rather replace a 8 dollar A arm than a 40 dollar A arm.

the asinine part was the comment about how your "brushless" tamiya was faster than the brushed slash well DUHHHHHH. bet if they upgraded to brushless they would out pace your tamiya and actually have the transmission not tear itself out after a while. unless you made an upgrade your gears will do so after some hard runs. also the whole transmission set of gears are nylon if it was the same as my rough rider.

Slo-V Flyer 07-06-2010 04:06 PM

Talk about driving into a curb, I've done that probably a good 4-5 times, at various angles, and speeds, including a head on, 20 mph crash into a sign pole. I expected to have torn out SOMETHING, ejected SOMETHING, yet the only things that went wrong in all these impacts were some screws bending at the front, or the velcro letting go and ESC moving about inside.

I can say as mentioned above, it is ONE TOUGH TRUCK. I believe the wide body over wheels design is one of the primary reasons the truck can survive the disgustingly bad landings and tumbles I've subjected my truck to at speeds over 20-30 mph. My Rustler would usually tear off a rear arm upon hitting a pole sideways etc., or break caster blocks up front, or bearing hubs at the rear.

Now just a couple of days ago, I did hit the curb with my Slash going about 25 mph or more. The left tire I think, hit 2" tall section of the curb (as it ramped up to 6" along the edge) and that caused the lower shock shaft connector to break off the screw that attachs it to the suspension arm. That is a 50 cent fix, simply unscrewing the broken halves and screwing the new rod-end back on.

The body is a stock Traxxas unpainted one that I paitned blue, and it's got marks and scratches all over. I think it's time for a new one. :D

PS. I think TAMIYA's are overrated. Most are quirky (by design I'm sure) and the older favorites just make me scratch my head. 1 shock front suspension? Disgustingly bouncy handling for most if not all their old trucks/buggies (even the "race" models were a joke sometimes). A FWD M chassis with a classic RWD Datsun 280z body on - that one always makes me laugh at the LHS. Now I admit I always wanted a 4x4 3-spd Toyota Hilux/Bruiser when I learned about them in '03, and a few other 4x4 and newer scale touring cars and models, but most are just too plain/weak to put up with anything I would want to do with them. :)

G!NhO 07-08-2010 08:39 AM

I finally got my hobbyking 100A esc and the 2700Kv 13T motor, with 8,4v it is a bit faster than the titan and it has alot more punch on the start.
The motor and esc can both go upto 4s so i might try 2 8,4v packs in series if that won't be too much for it. :p

For anyone interested in the esc,<a href="http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=8993&amp;Product_Name=Ho bby_King__Brushless_Car_ESC_100A_w/_Reverse_(Upgrade_version)">http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=8993&amp;Product_Name=Ho bby_King__Brushless_Car_ESC_100A_w/_Reverse_(Upgrade_version)
</a>
It's a breeze to setup even without the program card which took awefully long to get in stock, so i cancelled it and only got the esc instead. :)

<br type="_moz" />

boosteda4tq 07-23-2010 02:18 PM

Hey I have the fastlane Machine Transmission Case and the Sealed Diff that i bought and never installed dont know if anyone is intrested in them if not I will put them on ebay.

I also have my truck on there so you can check it out [link=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170517971585&ssPageNam e=ADME:L:LCA:US:1123#ht_1264wt_1137]Slash[/link]

airmayle 07-28-2010 11:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Just Got some tires in. Here are some pics.

dug44 07-28-2010 01:48 PM

ORIGINAL: lez1troubles

Got my hands on a Traxxas Slash last night, first time I've seen on or had a go with one. After reading most of what was going one here I thought it would be a good truck, hate to say this but Traxxas IS one of the crappiest models I've ever seen. Plastic this, plastic that. O.K it can be up-graded to Aluminium but it'll cost an arm and a leg just to get it done. Why not just get a decent buggy or car in the first place.
My OLD Tamiya Sand Scorcher is already a thousand times better than any thing Traxxas has ever built, and its faster(Brushless)'n'stronger. I prooved that last night to the guys here. I'll make a video this weekend so you can also see that I'm not talking out my ass.[:'(]
Took you this long to get your hands on a Slash? Thought your uncle owned a hobby shop? Talking out of your what?

cornel4web 08-16-2010 04:58 AM

how can I use the front wheels that are not using hex style?...i have 2 sets of wheels that came from traxxas rustler or some other traxxas truck that are not using this kind of hex system...

FireFrenzy 08-16-2010 06:34 AM

well they make adaptor sets for bigger hexxes and i know THEJang's ultimate rustler project (check ultimaterc.com for the specifics) doesnt use hexxes for the front wheels...

airmayle 08-16-2010 08:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well I was out jumping the slash and really testing it. I broke the chassis, the real first major break for it. I'm running rpm stuff in the back but I'm pretty sure the reason the chassis gave is because I didn't have that third screw in the skid plate. So parts are on the way along with a set of stainless steel screw set and hopeful have it back together and running.

lez1troubles 08-17-2010 02:50 AM

Yo Dug44, I dont have any uncles who own model shops, in fact, no one in my family ownes a hobbyshop so no I'm not talking out my ass. Do you use yours to read???or do you read with your eyes closed. Try reading what is actually writen and not what you think is writen.

FireFrenzy 08-17-2010 03:22 AM

Well geez someone is a bit cranky

@air
whatkind of Stainless screws did you get? i am using the ones by RCScrewz and loving them... I'll prolly get one of their bearing sets when the current ones wear out... (unless i decide to just go stupid overkill and get ceramics:P)

airmayle 08-17-2010 08:24 AM

ORIGINAL: FireFrenzy

Well geez someone is a bit cranky

@air
whatkind of Stainless screws did you get? i am using the ones by RCScrewz and loving them... I'll prolly get one of their bearing sets when the current ones wear out... (unless i decide to just go stupid overkill and get ceramics:P)
I ended up getting RCScrews. Ceramic bearing are expensive just don't no if it is worth the extra money for 2 or 3 extra mph. If I were to use them at all it would be in the tranny.

FireFrenzy 08-17-2010 11:36 AM

yeah hence my stance i'll prolly just get Stainless Steel ones...

airmayle 08-17-2010 02:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Some stuff came in today, still waiting for parts for the Slash. I did get the Evader up and running with its new brushless setup.

trackmaster 10-17-2010 04:09 PM

Im thinkin about building a mod slash here are the upgrades i want to do pro trac suspension kit traxxas big bore shocks because proline shocks are expensive 17.5 bl novak system robinson racing slipper and spur mod .8 pitch pinion savox 300 oz. servo caliber tires mip cvds. any suggestions???

trackmaster 10-17-2010 04:11 PM

heres my bodyhttp://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._2041325_n.jpg

Brainanator 10-17-2010 05:57 PM

nice new bod [8D]

and air: why wouldn't you run that center screw in the back skid? [sm=confused.gif] That's one of the main reasons to get the RPM skid, more support!

airmayle 10-17-2010 06:34 PM

Ya I know. I had thought that I put that screw in but when it happen no screw.

I final went to lipo and man what a difference. The run time is just crazy with the brushless stuff. I picked up Promatch racing lipo 7.4 2s 5200mah 25C and I set a timer for 30 minutes and when the timer goes off and I check the battery the voltage has been at 3.91. It still has plenty of power to even run longer. I haven't been pushing the lipo because it is new, want to break it in first.

Brainanator 10-17-2010 06:38 PM

I would suggest getting a cheap low voltage alarm on ebay. Seems like timing is working well for you, but I find it to be an extra insurance :) Lipos is great huh? :D

airmayle 10-17-2010 06:54 PM

The VXL has one built in. I'm just trying to get a feel for lipo. I don't want to run it till the LVC is activated. I like to know when to stop before that happens. With it being a new lipo with one discharge on it, I want to break it in and not run it down to the 3.2v

501st 10-19-2010 08:10 PM

Trackmaster,
           that body looks awsome....................it is kinda dirty though.............i thought you cars were aways cleaner than when you get them brand new............... cool lookin though.....[8D]<br type="_moz"/>