Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Help with ESC on Tamiya Tundra

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 10:22 AM
luisk_cr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with ESC on Tamiya Tundra

Hi There,

This is one of my first posts on this site, although I have been around for a few years. After some time having nitro planes and trucks, I decided to give a try to electrics, and went out for a Tamiya Tundra High-Lift, which is a great kit to build! I managed to survive the building process but now I'm running with some issues that I think are related to my ESC. I hooked up an R153F receiver with two Fut3004 servos, a Duratrax Intellispeed Auto-Sport w/reverse ESC and a duratrax 3800mAh NiMH battery. After peak-charging it, I run a few minutes with no problems, then if I'm running on 1st or 3rd gear (shifting servo not in central position) or if I steer too hard, the ESC shuts down.

After 3 or 4 seconds it will re-start but the green operation light will be dim and a high pitched hizzing sound comes out of it (similar to the one you hear when the ESC operates, with the difference this time the sound is permanent even if you don't touch the radio, and sounds quieter) When this happens, the steering servo will remain in the same position it was before shutting off and won't respond to my controls, and the shifting servo comes back to central position.I can only throttle up but no shifting or steering is possible. If pull the throttle to max for a moment it will return to normal operation but only to restart a few minutes later...

My best guess (taking into consideration this is my 1st electric) is there's something wrong with my ESC or with my configuration. I tried changind to a NiCD battery I had to see if the NiMH was not delivering enough current but it happened as well, although not so frequently. Have someone experienced the same issue? if so, how did you fix it? Can someone recommend a not too expensive ESC that delivers enough power to the servos for this car?

Thanks for your help!
Old 03-17-2011, 11:45 AM
The Mad Modder

Default RE: Help with ESC on Tamiya Tundra

ORIGINAL: luisk_cr

Hi There,

This is one of my first posts on this site, although I have been around for a few years. After some time having nitro planes and trucks, I decided to give a try to electrics, and went out for a Tamiya Tundra High-Lift, which is a great kit to build! I managed to survive the building process but now I'm running with some issues that I think are related to my ESC. I hooked up an R153F receiver with two Fut3004 servos, a Duratrax Intellispeed Auto-Sport w/reverse ESC and a duratrax 3800mAh NiMH battery. After peak-charging it, I run a few minutes with no problems, then if I'm running on 1st or 3rd gear (shifting servo not in central position) or if I steer too hard, the ESC shuts down.

After 3 or 4 seconds it will re-start but the green operation light will be dim and a high pitched hizzing sound comes out of it (similar to the one you hear when the ESC operates, with the difference this time the sound is permanent even if you don't touch the radio, and sounds quieter) When this happens, the steering servo will remain in the same position it was before shutting off and won't respond to my controls, and the shifting servo comes back to central position.I can only throttle up but no shifting or steering is possible. If pull the throttle to max for a moment it will return to normal operation but only to restart a few minutes later...

My best guess (taking into consideration this is my 1st electric) is there's something wrong with my ESC or with my configuration. I tried changind to a NiCD battery I had to see if the NiMH was not delivering enough current but it happened as well, although not so frequently. Have someone experienced the same issue? if so, how did you fix it? Can someone recommend a not too expensive ESC that delivers enough power to the servos for this car?

Thanks for your help!
Make sure the connectors at the receiver are fully plugged in and aren't coming loose. It is possible you have a bad ESC. Duratrax is not known for making the best electronics.
Good inexpensive ESC's
Tamiya
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXYCP1&P=7
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGGA7&P=7
Futaba
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXUY13&P=7
Old 03-17-2011, 01:27 PM
luisk_cr

Default RE: Help with ESC on Tamiya Tundra

Thanks for you reply, Mad Modder, I'll check my connections to make sure they're fully sitting in place. I was checking those 3 exact ESC's you sent which are pretty well priced, plus some more expensive Novak's, but before spending money on a new one I wanted to check if I'm making an obvious rookie mistake I couldn't see, also I checked the specs on those and thought they're very similar to the DTX I have in terms of current handling and BEC so wasnt sure if I'd be wasting money in something that wouldn't work either, but if DTX quality may be an issue, it may be well worth trying a new one! Again thanks for taking the time and look at my problem!