Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more
Reload this Page >

Help! My brushless motor system seems to be stuck or not working properly

Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Help! My brushless motor system seems to be stuck or not working properly

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 07:15 PM
universeguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! My brushless motor system seems to be stuck or not working properly

Help!
My brushless motor system seems to be stuck or not working properly. I have a Tekin RX8 brushless motor system running a 2250KV motor.
The motor spins freely by hand but when I turn on the speed control all of the red lights start blinking. While this is happening the motor seems like it is trying to turn by itself but it can't. Maybe I should say pulsing and never completely turns over. This happens by itself once I turn on the speed control power switch. Also it makes kind of a knocking sound. It's not very loud but it is noticeable. Has anyone had a similar situation or had heard of this happening before?
I hope this is enough information for starters. It is very hard for me to explain what is happening. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Since is how I am not able to access Tekin's help form right now. The weather is supposed to be nice to next few days. So I can't wait to get it up and running. This hobby can be very frustrating sometimes! At least it can be for me.
Thanks.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:28 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Help! My brushless motor system seems to be stuck or not working properly

sounds like you have motor wire loose. its out of sync
Old 02-25-2012, 07:33 PM
universeguy

Default RE: Help! My brushless motor system seems to be stuck or not working properly

I had no idea they could get out of sync. Are you referring to the sensor harness wires or the actual ADC power wires? I will check.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:41 PM
The_Shark

both.

if you have a bad connection it will just sit there and vibrate. however the big ole wires going to the stator are the ones you should check first.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:45 PM
universeguy

Everything appears to be securely intact. I had another thought! Is it possible for the speed control to know if the bearings are worn out in the motor and need to be replaced? What I mean is can it know if the shaft is aligned properly with the sensor?
Old 02-25-2012, 08:05 PM
dragnse7en
Banned

ROFL - yes, every esc today can tell which ball race/ bearing is shot - NOT.

GET REAL!

Are you serious?

please be an adult, and tell me the REAL PROBLEM.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:52 PM
universeguy

Actually yes I am serious And I am an adult!
And I do find what you said to be somewhat offensive.

I'm glad you're taking the time to help me!
I guess what I'm trying to convey and you failed to understand is that! Once again!

Can the sensor inside the motor tell if the rotor is on an angle. Meaning that if the bearings are worn out possibly the rotor and shaft could easily drop down and therefore the sensor could read as being on an angle at which it rests at. So in that sense it very well may be possible? Actually quite possible! You may disagree but that's perfectly okay. I did not design nor did I build a brushless motor system so with that being said. I think that is a very reasonable question.

By the way
Why did you write what you wrote? and did you really want me to reply to what you said?
Well obviously you did not understand my question properly! Besides I'm not here to bicker with you and actually I'm very real. Seriously real.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:35 PM
The_Shark

ORIGINAL: universeguy

Actually yes I am serious And I am an adult!
And I do find what you said to be somewhat offensive.

I'm glad you're taking the time to help me!
I guess what I'm trying to convey and you failed to understand is that! Once again!

Can the sensor inside the motor tell if the rotor is on an angle. Meaning that if the bearings are worn out possibly the rotor and shaft could easily drop down and therefore the sensor could read as being on an angle at which it rests at. So in that sense it very well may be possible? Actually quite possible! You may disagree but that's perfectly okay. I did not design nor did I build a brushless motor system so with that being said. I think that is a very reasonable question.

By the way
Why did you write what you wrote? and did you really want me to reply to what you said?
Well obviously you did not understand my question properly! Besides I'm not here to bicker with you and actually I'm very real. Seriously real.
get used to it this guy is a real troll.

the wires may LOOK ok, but under silicone, shrink wrap and what have you, it may be messed up, try wiggling and tugging wires (gently) and see if it reacts, if it does chances are there is a loose connection.

also, did it ever run right? if its a new setup you may have the wires wired wrong.

check the wires, you may have a broken motor lead.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:34 PM
universeguy

I tried gently wiggling the wires and it did not seem to do anything. It still remains the same. It is not a new setup. What made me look at it is that it was acting very strange. Mainly the throttle was cutting in and out if I held on the trigger from more than 3 or 4 seconds down A straight away. And also periodically the steering would turn to the left by itself. At 1st I thought it was interference from the transmitter to the receiver. But I'm using spectrum so it's probably unlikely. Currently the steering still works just not throttle. So that is how it started. Last night I rebuilt the differential and some minor work on it. Last night also rewire the output plug from the speed control. The black wire had some frayed area showing of wire. So I went to the hobby shop I picked up a new plug with wires already connected to it. Then proceeded to Sauter on the new lead plug. If I'm not mistaken it's the standard Futaba plug with the 3 wires. White red and black wires. I was thinking that the frayed wire could possibly the be the answer. So anyway I rewired it and put shrink wrap tubing around it. Making sure that the correct wires go where they are supposed to go. I guess there is a chance that I could have messed up the wiring. Last night after I turned it on to test it. It sputtered a little bit and then it stopped. No throttle just stealing. I'm going to look at the wiring I fixed last night and make sure that its correct. I will report back with the outcome.
By the way thanks for helping me shark!
Old 02-26-2012, 12:09 AM
dragnse7en
Banned

Okay.

Sensored BL motors are designed to find their own pole postition thru their sensor plate on the endbell.

Trust me, I have lived and breathed on road BL motors in the TC pro-spec class and MOD class.

I seriously think that you should re-check your initial esc programming, and go from there.

Old 02-26-2012, 12:35 AM
universeguy

All right!
I will try the reprogramming again. I went over and over checking the wires and I absolutely could not find any faults. I actually looked inside the motor itself to see if I could find any debris or dust from the road. Cleaned that out with a toothbrush. I am hoping that it is a programming issue
All right thanks for your help.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:23 AM
The_Shark

not to offend but is your battery dead? its acting like it.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:42 PM
warnos16v

so you are saying your motor is spinning freely.. its not feeling all "mushy"

Is this a new motor? have you gotten it really hot recently? you can usally tell if you have cooked a motor when you spin the rotor on the motor it will feel mushy like the bearings are gone... is there anyway u can try another motor?

I have heard a motor make a clicking noise though when i once stupidly soldered the poles the wrong way around... so check that..

Does the car roll freely when the pinion is disconnected?
Old 02-28-2012, 03:31 PM
universeguy

Allright...
I talked to Tekin and the flashing red lights is a code saying that part of the ESC electronic speed control is bad. So I sent it in for repair. They said it would cost around $40 to fix. I will keep you guys posted thanks.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:52 PM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

ORIGINAL: universeguy

Allright...
I talked to Tekin and the flashing red lights is a code saying that part of the ESC electronic speed control is bad. So I sent it in for repair. They said it would cost around $40 to fix. I will keep you guys posted thanks.
not covered by warranty?