Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Nicd battery with 3 wires???

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 08:04 AM
spazzy222

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nicd battery with 3 wires???

I recently bought a cheap toy grade rc car online to bring back the good old days. I have had toy grade rcs in the past and had 3, 9.6v nicd batteries for them. The new car that i bought does run on a 9.6v nicd battery but it is different. Instead of 2 wires for power (red and black) it has 3 (red, black and blue) This makes my old batteries useless. The new connector also seems to be opposite to my old batteries, where the battery is the female end instead of the male end on my old batteries. I was wondering if i could take an old connector and splice it into the car ignoring the blue wire, letting me use my old batteries again.. Im a noob with rc and i just want to drive my rc car for a long time without having to charge it for 4hrs after the 20 min battery runs out. Also i opened up the car, and the red and blue wires run to the circuit board, and the black wire runs to the power switch. Ithought the blue wire would just run the lights so i cut it but it ended up running the reverse, so i put it back together.Please respond.
http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/i/pbBg.png); margin: 8px 0px 5px; padding-bottom: 5px; background-position: 0% 0%; background-repeat: no-repeat no-repeat; ">

Old 07-21-2012, 09:32 AM
The Mad Modder

Default RE: Nicd battery with 3 wires???

ORIGINAL: spazzy222

I recently bought a cheap toy grade rc car online to bring back the good old days. I have had toy grade rcs in the past and had 3, 9.6v nicd batteries for them. The new car that i bought does run on a 9.6v nicd battery but it is different. Instead of 2 wires for power (red and black) it has 3 (red, black and blue) This makes my old batteries useless. The new connector also seems to be opposite to my old batteries, where the battery is the female end instead of the male end on my old batteries. I was wondering if i could take an old connector and splice it into the car ignoring the blue wire, letting me use my old batteries again.. Im a noob with rc and i just want to drive my rc car for a long time without having to charge it for 4hrs after the 20 min battery runs out. Also i opened up the car, and the red and blue wires run to the circuit board, and the black wire runs to the power switch. I thought the blue wire would just run the lights so i cut it but it ended up running the reverse, so i put it back together. Please respond.
http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/i/pbBg.png); margin: 8px 0px 5px; padding-bottom: 5px; background-position: 0% 0%; background-repeat: no-repeat no-repeat; ''>

I would test the battery(the one that came with the car) with a digital multimeter. Since black is likely the negative lead on the battery, check for voltage with the black meter lead on the black battery wire and the red meter lead on the red battery wire. Note the voltage and move the red meter lead to the blue battery wire. If the two voltage readings are the same, the blue wire is also a positive wire and you can wire the red and blue wires together when you convert the car to the two wire plug of your other batteries. If you get a zero reading when checking one of the voltages, it is likely of the same polarity as the wire that the other meter lead is connected to. A negative reading indicates that the meter is connected opposite the polarity of the voltage you are testing.
Old 07-21-2012, 05:17 PM
spazzy222

You're the best!! I didnt have a digital multimeter or whetever so i just spliced the blue and the red together and used the old 2 port connector and it works perfectly. I now can use my old batteries and they work with no troubles. I tried for a whole day to get another battery with 3 wires, but couldnt, but thanks to your post i actually converted the car back to the 2 wire system. Thanks a bunch.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:48 AM
The Mad Modder

Glad to help.
Old 03-04-2017, 08:12 PM
Guilty69

Same problem but when my blue is not connected nothing works .With the blue and red connected I have throttle but no steering, at a loss atm, old battery is past testing condition (frayed wires ) I have pics of the car in my gallery
Old 03-05-2017, 04:42 AM
darkbibble

the blue wire is connected at 6v for the reciever and servo parts on these old toys, and red and black for main power to the esc part for the motor