Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Nitro RS4 Racer - Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 04:23 PM
Chingus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitro RS4 Racer - Conversion

Hello All,

I have been tasked with converting an RS4 to brushless. I have been looking at manuals for the RS4 Racerhttp://www.hpiracing.com/instructions/instr-nra.htmand the Sprint 2 Fluxhttp://www.hpiracing.com/graphics/instr/pdf/106159.pdf, because I don't have the car yet.Does anyone have access to both to see if the front and rear bulkheads of the RS4 match up to the Sprint 2 chassis? I'd hate to buy the chassis to find it doesn't match up. I know HPI uses the same parts on a lot of the cars along the same product line.

For instance I converted a Lightning Stadium Pro to brushless by obtaining all the parts for a Trophy Flux attached to the chassis for about $150 less than buying a new one and used my upgraded parts.

Thank you for your consideration

Old 04-05-2013, 10:51 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Nitro RS4 Racer - Conversion

well I ill say I don't have the spirit 2, but in this case it probably would be cheaper to just buy the spirit 2 as you will ned the majority of it anyways.

The rs4 had some issues to put it mildly. I bought one used for my 1st on road, and wish I listened to the LHS guy when he said don't put a penny in it as its trash. I had issues finding belts for it, and the spur gears are notorious for being weak, and stripping easy. Seriously 5 mins into its maiden run it stripped a spur... Was also told belts liked to snap easy, but I never had that issue in the whole 5 mins it ran. Plus changing the belts on it was a royal PITA can't comment on how hard it is on other belt drives as my dealings with the RS4 put me completely off them cause to fix ANY belt you literally had disassemble the entire RC from what I recall...

BUT it you TRULY want to convert it no matter what it might not be that hard of a task as you could probably just fashion a simple L-bracket to screw in where the nitro motor holes are as there was a bit of room(but be warned it was TIGHT from what I remember)
Old 04-05-2013, 12:09 PM
Chingus

I'm so glad I didn't buy one...... My bud picked it up for a steal. $30 he asked if I could convert it. I love achallengeso I dove in.
I was planning on purchasing all the components between the front and rear bulkheads on ebay. Most of them arereadily available. could do it for about $200 maybe 250 and it's fun to do. All depends on the bulkheads and the upper brace matching up. Thinking the odds are low.
It just seems like a good idea to use the parts that can be used instead of them collecting dust. We have nointerestin running nitro anymore. Brushless is the way to go.
Or 1/5 scale gasoline
Old 04-05-2013, 04:59 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I also just remembered an issue I had with the one I had the bushings melted that held the pins for the gears, and belts. I was gonna slap ball bearings in but couldn't find any that small lol

Trust me I LOVE reusing parts lol
I've been trying to workout how to drive the front axle off a RS4 MT2 with a tranny from a axial SC10 with the rear wheel of a wheely king to make a 1/10th scale solid axle rear desert truck(I have plans to mount a slash 4X4 front bumper to it, but that could change)

I've also once made a 1/9thish scale electric rally out of a MT2 by slapping the RS4 arms on it, puting an L-bracket to mount the motor to, and some other things... It worked just not to the level I wanted it so I scrapped it. I do have plans to make an electric RS4 rally though seeing I have the majority of the parts already I just have to assemble it for the most part.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:12 PM
Chingus

This a great hobby to tinker and come up with ideas. sounds like you have a stock to fool with. all the trucks I have are functioning.

I still don't have the RS4 to fool with. I'm chomping at the bit to do the testing. I've done all the reading I can.

More to come, I hope.