Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more
Reload this Page >

Just getting into on road and seeking a little advice

Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Just getting into on road and seeking a little advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 06:26 AM
CapeTruckMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just getting into on road and seeking a little advice

Hello, I will get strait to the point, I've got the itch to get into on road racing after learning about a local r/c club that puts on on-road races every other weekend. I plan to go out and watch and seek advice from the club member this weekend but in the meantime have been doing on line research. The course is set up on a large asphalt lot and is true road racing ( I think, lot's of turns not a oval) not drifting as far as I could tell from watching a few videos. The last time I had a "on road" r/c was in the early 90's and we raced exclusively on indoor carpet tracks, drifting was unheard of in the r/c world at our local hobby shops and 80% of the racers were running rc10, hpi, or bolink pan chassis so a lot has changed..lol.
I want to go with a kit or roller as I have a few spare brushless systems lying around along with the rest of electronics and I will probably throw in a Sidewinder 3 esc and one of a couple brushless motors 4600 or 5700. From my online searching I've narrowed it down to either a Team Associate TC4 4wd club racer or a Sakura xi sport, I'm sure there are more options but after reading several reviews these two seem give you the best bang for your buck and parts are readily available. Any opinions or advice would be greatly appreciated. The TC4 is shaft driven while the Sakura is belt drive, I've never owned or drove a belt driven car and see most of the "higher end" cars seem to be belt driven. What are pros and cons of each and which do you guys/gals think would be best? Also if anyone has any other suggestions or I'm open to go a different route and all info/advice is most appreciated.
Old 01-29-2016, 02:26 PM
grabbem88

If you are bashing on crappy roads go shaft drive but I have yet broke a belt since I shielded mine from Rocks.

I'm running a 6500kv motor and on 2s it's quick enough without sacrificing drive ability.

There are newer stuff out there tc4 is older where as there is tc5 and 6's hpi has a sport3 these are all awesome cars..

Mine has been sitting too long so I'm gonna have to go fire it up now lol!
Old 03-22-2016, 08:18 AM
Dumanyu

I commend you on your choice for a on road car and as an old hat to carpet racing in the north east 30 years ago myself, I never did the dirt. I'd also like to thank you for mentioning the Bolink car. I've been racking my brain trying to remember the name of that car lol. I had one of those as well as a GP10. In the end though, the only car I've saved was my original RC10, which I have only just yesterday, completed the restoration. I always ran my RC10 on road and she performed superbly, so I would not rule out an off road car for asphalt. They may be a bit heavier, but properly set up they work very well and are a bit more durable. I admit I've been out of the game for 30 years so my experience with the newer designs I'd extremely limited (for now lol). My newly restored car is heading for the road as soon as I add the radio and batteries and such. I'll be interested in what you develop and decide.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	1.79 MB
ID:	2153720