Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

3.5 TURN BRUSHLESS

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 03:12 PM
RCMAK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.5 TURN BRUSHLESS

Hey everyone , I am extremely new to R/C cars but am interested in building one!
I recently purchased a 3.5 turn Vector X 11 Brushless
and thats all lol
I know Im going to get LRP Sphere TC
but thats where it stops
does anyone have suggestions on a chasis
and the rest of the thingss I would need
Also any pros or Cons for this set up
I was told you get very little run time out of a 3.5turn why is this if it is so
THanks so much for all your input I really appreciate iit
Old 02-07-2008, 06:19 PM
Adamg-RCU

Default RE: 3.5 TURN BRUSHLESS

I recommend you stop in at a touring car club. One I'm aware of in Toronto is fastcats.ca.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:32 PM
TIGER76

I was told you get very little run time out of a 3.5turn why is this if it is so
The lower the turn motor the faster it will go so a 3.5 is gonna to be very fast indeed and would need some high powered batteries either LIPO or high mah nimhs as it will draw more power.
Plenty of companies do TCs mate have alook at tamiya,team acc,losi just to name a few,if you post up a budget it would be easier to post some ideals.

either way which ever chassis you choose on that 3.5 its gonna shift fast
Old 02-07-2008, 09:47 PM
annie_himself

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That 3.5 is extremely fast. I don't think your car will last long with you being a beginner. I would actually suggest a slower motor, especially if your racing.

Are you racing?
Old 02-07-2008, 11:58 PM
RCMAK

As for budget not to worried dont want to go over $500 600 tops, its more of a hobby thing but I wouldnt mind racing once I got the hand of it a little better, any other inuput would be great , as for suggestions for chasis id appreciate specifics being so new and all and does anyone have a good suggestion for battery pack to match perfect? Now that ive posted a budget could someone post an ideal setup listing everything i could possibly need to get a car running
Thanks so much
Old 02-08-2008, 10:06 AM
TIGER76

With that BL installed your gonna want a chassis with as much tuning options as possible trust lol
someone said tamiya site were having a sell on one of there top end chassis

EDIT

You can get a TB EVO IV at tamiyusa for $250
Tamiyausa.com today has the TRF 415MSX on sale for $275

TRF 415msx looks a good choice for that setup m8 [8D]
Old 02-08-2008, 10:30 AM
MOVMX Racer

If you are new to RC, then your budget will be gone quick with a motor like that (extra batteries, spare parts), so as much as you might not like to hear it, I would reccomend a lower turn motor to start with, maybe 10.5-8.5 turn instead of 3.5, as you will have a car with insane top speed and low run time with a 3.5. Also, most tracks have limitations on motor and battery setups. As for a car, (since i am an associated fan, they make some sweet cars) I will recommend a TC5, it is the newest one out, they are quite the performer. Heres a link- http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXRJK2&P=ML since they are new, they only offer the team kit, which has many awesome graphite and aluminum parts that wont be on the ready-to-run (rtr) car, but you have to buy ALL of the electronics (radio, reciever, esc motor, servo). If it is too much, you can always go with the slightly less nice, more affordable TC4- http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXMGP9&P=ML This car is ready to drive out of the box except for batteries and a charger. That means that with this package, you have your radio, reciever, speed contol, servo, and motor, all in a prebuilt car. You will need batteries regardless of what you get, so you need to decide whether you want to go lithium or nickel-metal-hydride (nimh)
Lithium batteries are the newest thing, they are lighter, produce more power, and can push your car to insane speeds. (Link to apogee, a good manufacturer of these) http://www.pfmdistribution.com/ (they sell LiPo and LiMn which is the safest lithium tech. so far) The downside is that they are dangerous, and cost more than nimh. Certain things can trigger the battery to catch fire and explode, ruining much that is around it (thats why you charge them in a special flame proof bag). They also require special chargers and balancers to keep them at their peak. I use a lithium Polymer (LiPo) in my 1/18th scale, and it rips, but my charger cost quite a bit more than a peak charger for nimh. I use this charger, and would recommend it to anyone since it does NiCd, NiMh, LiIon, and LiPo. Link: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXHDJ1&P=ML
This charger is also good, it does lead acid batteries also, which my ICE does not- Link: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXPYT8&P=ML
With that said, you can choose nimh batteries as well. They are safer, and require less expensive chargers, and cost less, but they dont make as much power. You would need a signifigantly higher mah battery if you go with nimh- Link: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXRUG4&P=7
Here are some pics of the TC4 and TC5- (associated website) http://teamassociated.com/
With all of that said, check around and see what is available to you. Check to see what tracks you have, what kind of parts are available, and what everyone else is running.
Good luck! (whew, tired fingers)
Old 02-08-2008, 02:03 PM
RCMAK

Wow thank you all so much for the great information, it really did help me figure a few things, Ideally I would love to run my 3.5T Motor, with the LRP SPHERE Competition TC-Spec, but am still not sure about Battery Receiver, , Charger i know I would like 14A power supply could you possibly reccomend a Race Roller to throw those items into? , or If I were to pick up the TC4\TC5 would I be able to swap with the items, or is that a waste of money ?Thanks So much once again , im not too hard core with the racing at all, actually my uncle has a R/C that he boasts about quite a bit, he usally races his neighbor but just in a huge parking lot straight away kinda thing and occasionally on the track , so I wanted to build something that will smoke him easy, at least his electric I think hes running a Traxxxas Nitro 4tec but it looks pretty beat up (lol) and his Electric is T associated TC4, hes being doing it for a while id just love something to leave him behind even if its a straight away, especially since hes right about saying that it would take me a long time to put a car together that could beat his, but I figured with the help of experts like your selves it would make it a breeze, anyways does anyone have any ideas Thanks very much to TIGER76 and MOVMX Racer adn good refferal Adamg-RCU Thanks again
Old 02-08-2008, 02:31 PM
maybelater29
My Feedback: (1)

I would go with the TC5, it is a kit and comes with no electronics. This way you won't waste money on swapping them. You have to assemble the kit, but, this goes a long way to helping you fix it when something breaks. The TC5 is a race spec kit and is well made, it also doesn't cost as much as others of the same quility. You will still need a radio/reciever and a servo.
Old 02-09-2008, 02:25 PM
MOVMX Racer

Like maybelater said, The TC5 is a great quality car, and it has no electronics so you wont loose money from not using the stock electronics. If you get a kit, you will need:
A motor- You said you have a vector 3.5
A speed control (ESC)- You mentioned the LRP Sphere
A reciever (RX)- you have sooo many choices here. You have to decide whether you want AM, FM or 2.4 ghz, the AM radios are cheap but have more glitching, which can cause you to loose control! FM is more expensive but not by much, still some glitching but not near as much, and 2.4 GHZ has virtually no glitching but will cost you a bit.
A transmitter (TX)- This is the same as RX, but most systems you buy will include an RX, and sometimes a servo.
A battery (you need one regardless whether you buy RTR or kit)
A charger (same as above, you need one either way)
A servo- you probably want a metal gear high speed servo, such as this one- http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXUZ87&P=ML
Paint for the body (not spray paint, polycarbonate paint, or an airbrush and polycarbonte paint)

Here are links to some radio systems- You will want a computer radio since they are more adjustable and work better- (as a rule, the servos included are usually not that high of quality) With FM and AM you will need crystals to change frequencies, which will cost extra - http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...SEARCH=crystal

AM 27- http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXENN0**&P=ML -This comes with 2 servos, (probably not that great) the TX and RX.

AM 75- http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXENN3**&P=7 - This comes with one servo (still probably not that great) the TX (75mhz) and RX (75mhz), 75 MHZ will have less glitching that 27 MHZ.

FM- You have a lot more choices here. Pick a price range and go!- link to FM- http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...FVSEARCH=FM+75

2.4- A lot of choices here too - http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&MANUFACTURER= (IGNORE THE STICK RADIOS, THEY USUALLY ARE FOR AIRPLANES! Go for the "pistol grip" radios) These usually come with a TX and RX, and sometimes servos. 2.4 GHZ constantly switches frequencies to avoid interferance, making your car go where you want it to.

As for a charger, you need to always check whether it is 12V or 120V, since chargers will sometimes not come with a power supply. I had to buy a PS when I bought my ICE, i got 15 amp from radio shack for $70 and made a distribution box for it.

That about does it. You will need some decent batteries, but first you need to decide whether you want to go NiMh or get lithium.

Good luck!
Old 02-10-2008, 03:08 PM
justinep

I run a Trinity Brushless Duo 3.5 in my TC-3. These (any 3.5 motor) are extremely fast... with my ven speed meter my TC-3 is going 44 mph with a 7.4v 4600mah 2s lipo and 63mph with an 11.1v 4000mah 3s (and a little gearing).

If its your first car or as a beginner I would recommend a higher turn (10+). You can still get extreme speeds and/or keep her as a 30 mph parking lot basher.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:49 AM
rcracerdanny

I would strongly reccomend starting on a slower motor. A 3.5 turn is very fast and may be uncontrollable for a begginer. I started with a 27turn stock and then progressed to faster motors. You can always keep your 3.5 until you feel comfortable to use it.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:17 AM
alloutcustom

try a Co27 trinity motor it would run well but not too fast