Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

OFFICIAL HPI Sprint 2 Thread (Sport and Flux)

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 04:15 AM
Car-Tune

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OFFICIAL HPI Sprint 2 Thread (Sport and Flux)

At the Tower!!
Old 02-10-2009, 05:22 PM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had a Old HPI RS4 Sport for many years now with NO problems other than breaking belts. That car has run everything from 12X2 modified's all the way up to the VXL system that's in in now. Never had a wear issue or a broken part (except the main belt). It sounds to me like HPI cut a few corners with the Flux to save a few dollars. I've been in this hobby for 20+ years and I would not call that normal wear. HPI should upgrade you to the hardened parts for free. Unrelated story. I had an XL5 rustler that stripped the idler (plastic) about 2 months after I bought it. I called traxxas and they sent out the steel idler for free no questions asked. That might have something to do with the fact that I have 20+ registered traxxas cars and trucks but...........
Old 02-14-2009, 12:10 PM
Willystylz

Thought i'd share a pic of my trusty Sprint 2
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81728.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	1135170  
Old 02-14-2009, 12:13 PM
Willystylz

Also thought i'd add i've been running a brushless setup for a couple yrs now.......Reedy Neo-2 star motor. Haven't experienced any premature wear of any of the parts. The only problem i've had is the usual rocks getting into the rear end and wearing the drive-belt.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:13 AM
aahwhatever2

www.hpiracing.com is where you can find all the upgrade parts for the sprint 2, and flux. It also shows the replacement parts too.

Hope that helped ya out...
Old 02-19-2009, 01:16 AM
rufus2000

Here's mine... brand new body.

Mods: new shocks (3racing I think), reedy 19T motor, new rims, brake discs, and I did the dremeling mods to take care of those pesky rocks damaging the differentials.

[img]DSC02498.jpg[/img]

Name:	Zx70739.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	1139492  
Old 02-19-2009, 07:12 AM
CAClark

Cool, which shell is that, an HPI one?

I ordered the Sprint 2 Flux yesterday (Mustang GTR one), so looking forward to getting that some time soon

Cheers!
Old 02-19-2009, 01:25 PM
aahwhatever2

Hey Rufus,

What "dremel" tricks are you talking about that takes care of the rocks in the rear dif???? I would love to know!!!!

Also, I really like the body you have on your Sprint 2.... I ordered what i thought was a really nice body off ebay, but when i got it....it was a body off a Nikko. It was hard plastic and total junk! It looked good from a distance but the amount of work/modifications that would need to be done to get the body to STAY on the car, just was not worth it.. I am still in the market for a good body that I can add a light kit to for drifting at night and then I will use just a nice painted plain Jane for racing, etc.

I bought some really NICE polished aluminum shocks from Team Blue Star, WOW, they are nice and already built and balanced in pairs. There was only a very VERY little difference between the two sets that I bought, not enough to be concerned about as I will be putting the matched sets on front and then on back.. They also came with a somewhat stiff red spring which is exactly what I was wanting to begin with! I have some new drift tires that are "in the mail" from ebay now. I am hoping that I get a little better traction with these as the set that I have are just way to sloppy for the power of the BL system that is in this car.

I will try to get some pics up...... as soon as i get off my lazy A*S!!!!

Jonathan
Old 02-19-2009, 11:08 PM
rufus2000

ORIGINAL: CAClark

Cool, which shell is that, an HPI one?

I ordered the Sprint 2 Flux yesterday (Mustang GTR one), so looking forward to getting that some time soon

Cheers!
Thanks, that is an aston martin body from Kyosho. I just love that car shell. I believe HPI does not manufacture it.
The body fits great, the only downside is that the body posts are not marked for HPI cars so you will have to be careful marking the body post holes so it ends seated properly. One thing about the Kyosho bodies is that the decals are already cut out for you... no scissors needed which is kind of neat.

The flux should be nice with the added speed. I tried mine with a mamba max 4600 and a 2S lipo and was just too much, so I went for a slower motor.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:39 PM
rufus2000

ORIGINAL: aahwhatever2

Hey Rufus,

What "dremel" tricks are you talking about that takes care of the rocks in the rear dif???? I would love to know!!!!
Hi there,
Take a look at this post:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_73...tm.htm#7421279

I did a little more than what was suggested there, and dremeled around the bottom as well, as I found it was not enough if a bigger rock gets in. The problem with the sprint is that its easy for a rock to get stuck between the belt and rear tower, or between the belt and rear diff, tearing the belt.
This happened to three of our sprints here while running on a very dirty parking lot so we had to replace belts and diffs as well (since the outside diff gear is plastic, it can get damaged too)
So far the mod has worked great, almost a year from that... and all 3 sprints are still on the same belts.

The spring is a nice car... not really a race car but for the money its ok. We have a blast running them and they're tough, still holding.
The only thing I dislike is that it has too much slop in the steering, so when you put a powerful motor in there its hard to drive straight.

cheers

Name:	Ro41844.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	1140141   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37238.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	1140142   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rx60325.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	1140143   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fz73497.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	1140144  
Old 02-23-2009, 01:36 AM
Harald1966

If you tape the bottom of the car with duct tape it will help too.
Agree about the steering, too sloopy.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:23 AM
CAClark

Well it arrived last night

Cheers!
Old 02-24-2009, 10:52 AM
Car-Tune

I got my sons in today too, I will post up picutes as I put on the upgrades
Old 02-24-2009, 11:32 AM
CAClark

What upgrades did you get for it?

Cheers!
Old 02-24-2009, 03:26 PM
aahwhatever2

I am in the process of going through my Sprint flux and changing a few things....

I got the carbon fiber lower on order that should be here in the next day or two, put on some Yeah Racing drift tires (which I really like the looks, but haven't ran them yet to see how they preform), I am running a Spectrum DSM3 with it, which has been really nice for fine tuning, and some Team Blue Star aluminum shocks that I LOVE (looks and function are TOP NOTCH).

I noticed that I lost a few screws and I am very meticulous about checking the car over before every major run. I think that I am going to order some hex screws, but I can't remember the name of the company I use to deal with all the time. Anyone know of some nice corrosion resistant, tough, hex screws out there, let me know!!!

As for the steering, Mine has been running straight as an arrow at high speeds! I really haven't seen much slop in it at all. BUT, if there is a steering modification that ya'll know of, please post it!!!! I would like to take a look!!!

I am in the market for a "high end" road car for my next project, but still researching and trying to figure out what I want to get. Xray's look good, but there are some others out there that seem to be rising up to the top also. What do you guys think is the TOP on road car out there? PM me or add it as a side note....LOL

After I get the new chassis (AND SCREWS, help!) I will get some pics on here.

PS: I really love the pics of the Mustang!!! CACLARK!!
Old 02-24-2009, 06:07 PM
Willystylz

ORIGINAL: aahwhatever2

I am in the process of going through my Sprint flux and changing a few things....

I got the carbon fiber lower on order that should be here in the next day or two, put on some Yeah Racing drift tires (which I really like the looks, but haven't ran them yet to see how they preform), I am running a Spectrum DSM3 with it, which has been really nice for fine tuning, and some Team Blue Star aluminum shocks that I LOVE (looks and function are TOP NOTCH).

I noticed that I lost a few screws and I am very meticulous about checking the car over before every major run. I think that I am going to order some hex screws, but I can't remember the name of the company I use to deal with all the time. Anyone know of some nice corrosion resistant, tough, hex screws out there, let me know!!!

As for the steering, Mine has been running straight as an arrow at high speeds! I really haven't seen much slop in it at all. BUT, if there is a steering modification that ya'll know of, please post it!!!! I would like to take a look!!!

I am in the market for a "high end" road car for my next project, but still researching and trying to figure out what I want to get. Xray's look good, but there are some others out there that seem to be rising up to the top also. What do you guys think is the TOP on road car out there? PM me or add it as a side note....LOL

After I get the new chassis (AND SCREWS, help!) I will get some pics on here.

PS: I really love the pics of the Mustang!!! CACLARK!!
how are those Team Blue Star shocks for you?? I see them on Ebay and they look very nice, although a lot of ppl are sayin to stay away from their shocks. Was looking at a set of the aluminum ones with the red springs already assembled.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:09 PM
Willystylz

CAClark, curious what size pinion and spur gear hpi ships with the sprint 2 flux??
Old 02-24-2009, 06:27 PM
CAClark

It's a 90t spur and 23t pinion.

Cheers!
Old 02-24-2009, 07:18 PM
austin150

im getting a sprint drift 2 and i was wondering is it hard to maintience and handle the 15 turn motor it comes with ive been hearing things about changing the brushes what are those and are they hard to replace?
Old 02-24-2009, 10:01 PM
Car-Tune

CAClark, the upgrades I have are the HPI Carbon Fiber Chassis, upper deck, F/R shock towers, HPI front one way diff, Castle Creations USB, HPI aluminum wheel hex's, HPI threaded aluminum shocks, HPI D-Box, and what ever parts that come out to make it better and faster... I will get. Havent ran it yet buy I will tru out the Castle Creations and see how it works out.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:24 PM
Willystylz

anybody know if shocks off of any other touring cars will fit the Sprint 2 properly??
Old 02-25-2009, 01:57 PM
CAClark

I must admit I would rashly perhaps assume any shocks which mount in the same way that have the operating range of 45-56mm should fit? Tamiya TRF's maybe for example?

Something I wondered, as my Mustang will be shelf bound mostly, is if you can fit brake discs to make it looks super pretty? haha! Sounds daft, but it just occured to me having seen the E10 which has them?

Cheers!
Old 02-25-2009, 02:51 PM
aahwhatever2

Willy, So far, I really like the shocks. I have the ones from ebay with the red springs also. They are a bit longer but work great and look killer as well.

CAClark, as for the fake brake disks, ya, You can use them. Just like you said, they are for looks only. The "brake disc" is part of the hex wheel drive that the wheels attach too.

I have the CC USB link and LOVE IT. You can adjust the ESC for about anything you want.

Austin150, The brushes inside the motor take a little bit of "training" to mess with, but if you are wanting to really know as much about electric RC's as a true hobby, do a search on here for rebuilding electric motors and you should find all the info you would want. Brushed motors that come on the newer RC's will last and preform awesome. It's when you get into "pushing the envelope" or racing that you start learning to rebuild the motors. If you are only going to do it once or twice, I really don't see a point at it. You would be better off just buying a new motor. Also, if you rebuild your motor, it's usually best to have a charger that you can "break-in" the motor too. You're starting to look at quite a few bucks now!!!

If you really get serious, look at the brushless motors. Castle Creations is not ROAR approved, BUT check with your LOCAL track as most make their OWN rules. In fact, some that I have raced at, limit type of battery, how many cells, how many turns on your motor, weight, etc..... If you are just wanting to "BASH" cheaply, keep the brushed motor and I am sure it will keep you grinning. BUT, if you are like most of US......start saving your bucks, cause you will be buying all the Hop-ups, slapping in a Brushless Motor and ESC with Lipo's or A123's and tearing up every CURB, Alley, street and TRACK that you come across!!!!
Old 02-25-2009, 11:03 PM
Car-Tune

I odered my sprint 2 flux with carbon fiber accesories and I am missing the upper deck... Towerhobbies didnt send it to me[:@]
I emailed them so they better respond soon[:@]
I always shop there so they beter get back at me quick[:@]
I want it, I want it... I need it
Old 02-25-2009, 11:06 PM
Car-Tune

aahwhatever2,

I have the CC UCB too

How do you adjust it for it to go the fastest?

How would you adjust it to get slower? so my son can drive it and not damage it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.