Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

built my first rc

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 08:07 AM
Churron
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default built my first rc

So, from all the reading here and my burning desire to have a 1/10th RC i finally bought and built my first RC, and let me say, WOW, challenging, but fun. I am not one to just buy something and stick with it, i kinda went half way to all out to begin with. Bought a TT-01D impreza kit, and a 3racing Graphite chassis, and a slew of aluminum parts most in red and some that i could not find it red i had to get in blue(i hate blue grrrr)

Finally got it all built up and finished last night. Unfortunatly my budget ran out before i could upgrade the esc and engine, but i am thinking thats a good thing since i have never driven one of these things. Should probably see how it preforms with the stock esc and engine before i go nuts. Running a Spektrum DX3S and so far am pretty damn happy with it.

The only LHS i have, sucks, completly, i went in there with basic knowledge of what i wanted and a good understanding of how things worked and what went together, and he tried to swindle me thinking i didnt know anything. Attempted to sell my a brushless motor to go with my stock tamiya esc, (which i knew was not going to work) tried to sell me a insanely priced charger that would not charge lipo and a lipo battery, which again, i knew would not work., i ended up getting what i desperatly needed to get my car going, IE battery and charger(which went together) and my servo(i already knew what i wanted for a servo). Not to mention it was dirt and not very will kept, things did not look as if they were treated very well, things just thrown around in boxes, loose parts everywhere, did not carry bodies or paint!, just not very professional at all, and not very friendly or welcoming to someone who was new to the hobby. So i will not be going back. ever. I am all for loyalty to the LHS and supporting them, but being new to the hobby and having someone try and rip me off is crap.

Unfortunatly that is the only LHS, the next closest one is 40 miles away, and that leads me to my problem. I need to paint my body, so, if i were to go to say, menards or lowes, are they going to carry say a spray paint that would be suitable for my needs? i only intend to do 1 maybe 2 colors to start with, nothing too fancy. I just really dont want to drive 40 miles for a can of paint when i have 3 hardware stores in town. I just do not recal ever seeing a can of paint say "lexan" on it.

any suggestions for paint guys?

also, ill post some pics once i get my camera battery charged
Old 02-02-2009, 11:58 AM
Druss

Default RE: built my first rc

Just order it online at Tower or something. Tamiya has a huge range of lexan/polycarbonate paints. Because you're talking spray paints you'll have to have them shiped ground.

Don't use standard plastic paint, they just won't stick.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...SM&C=RHF&V=TAM
Old 02-02-2009, 12:20 PM
yahman1254
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: built my first rc

lexan is flexible and regular spray paint will chip off. if u havent painted a body before, look it up on youtube or something to learn how. this was my first one. it is two colors faded using a simple technique.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81758.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	1125739