Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Official DF-03 Ra Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 07:08 AM
merlot2k1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official DF-03 Ra Thread

Hi all, new guy here.

My wife bought me a DF-03ra for Xmas and I recently built it to stock specs. However, I noticed after running it through the house (still need to trim and paint the body), that I'd hear some noise while turning. The front wheels vibrate when turning. Is this normal? Here's a couple videos I shot which show my issue:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFtmn9N5YSk[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaWZ1y7sZws[/youtube]

Thanks!
Old 01-07-2011, 07:50 AM
The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: Soeill

Okay, thank you for the replies. I'm currently looking at the Futaba 2ph AM transmitter (75 MHz), with the R122JE AM receiver and S3003 servo. It also comes with a BEC.

I've also looked at Tamiya's TTU-03 (27 MHz) with a HSP 2 channel receiver (27MHz) and a Carson CS3 servo but there's no BEC. Would these two setups work for the DF03RA when using Tamiya's stock ESC, and if I don't install a BEC in the second setup, would it then damage the receiver and servo? Thanks in advance.
You don't need a BEC for Tamiya's stock teu 101bk or teu 104bk, it's designed to give power to the receiver via the two wire red plug which goes in the receiver's slot for the battery plug. Personally, I'm not a fan of HSP(aka exceed, redcat and himoto) products, but it should work OK to get you started.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:37 PM
mr06

Thanks for the help,
Took the difs apart, everything looked greased and cleanso I put it back together but didn't tighten the diffs as much as I had it before.It drives great now. I guess I just hadthe reara bit too tight. It has predictable oversteer bothdirections now and drifts great for my skill level.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:06 AM
gokemidoro

ORIGINAL: merlot2k1

Hi all, new guy here.

My wife bought me a DF-03ra for Xmas and I recently built it to stock specs. However, I noticed after running it through the house (still need to trim and paint the body), that I'd hear some noise while turning. The front wheels vibrate when turning. Is this normal? Here's a couple videos I shot which show my issue:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFtmn9N5YSk[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaWZ1y7sZws[/youtube]

Thanks!
That's the dogbones riding up against the slots in the outdrives. Tamiya is notorious for this, but you can get it in any RC car, if the steering is set far enough for it to happen. Reduce the steering throw until it stops.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:58 AM
aflipz
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: mr06

Thanks for the help,
Took the difs apart, everything looked greased and clean so I put it back together but didn't tighten the diffs as much as I had it before. It drives great now. I guess I just had the rear a bit too tight. It has predictable oversteer both directions now and drifts great for my skill level.

Cool, glad you got that sorted out!
Old 01-08-2011, 02:56 PM
alexchen86

Yes Mr06....do not over tighten any ball diff. If you do it ends up being almost like a locked diff. For some reason my front diff is doing that now that I replaced the bevel gear. The balls are not making contact with the plates which is very irritating.

I ended up just loosening it to a point where the wheels will rotate in opposite directions when I spin them slowly by hand (in reality the diff plates are just sliding against the plastic bevel gear lol)....still cannot figure out why the balls do not roll on the plates....and yes I inserted them correctly according to the instructions.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:56 AM
BanksK

Hello I am very new to RC cars and I have purchased the DF-03 Ra. Just finished building it last night but it did not come with the steering servo. Any suggestions on what fits well and preforms the best?
Old 01-09-2011, 02:59 PM
alexchen86

I had an extra Traxxas 2075 waterproof servo I use. Make sure you run the servo saver provided in the kit if you use any Traxxas or plastic gear servos. The reason I did this is because I built my DF-03Ra to be completely submersible before I went brushless.

The servo still holds up fine (over a year of hard landings and I do race with it as well) and decent speed and torque. Savox makes some nice servos with quick transit times at very reasonable prices but might be overkill depending on how hard you drive it or if you plan to race with it.

Any Hitec MG servo would do as well they run anywhere from $25 and up.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:34 PM
BanksK

Okay thanks! And what is the "servo saver"??
Old 01-09-2011, 06:02 PM
theibault

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keeps the servo from getting stripped gears in a crash or if the steering becomes jammed or obstructed.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:41 PM
aflipz
My Feedback: (10)

I upgraded my servo saver simply because I felt the stock one had too much slop. usually, aftermarket servo savers come with different adapters for most servo horns. To just get it going I suppose you can stick any cheap standard servo but if you want to go one step further I would say the most important specs are speed and torque, in that order. With a big emphasis on speed.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:45 PM
mr06

Can anyone tell me the tamiya paint codes, both plastic and ploycarb, for the 2008 wrc subaru wrc body? I would like to order them at the same time as the body parts kit if possible. Thanks in advance.

Also just ordered some Yeah Racing hop up parts, I can't wait! Most notibly the plastic oem "C-hub" part is just garbage. The screw that feeds up from the bottom won't stay in after just a a few handfull of runs, andI finally ended up losing it. The damage could of been from some pretty severe full speed head on impacts with a concrete wall. The front bumper also broke completely off. Ihad to order that as well. I have been drifting it in an underground lighted parking stucture that has concrete pillars and other various obstructions to manuvere through. It is quite fun but the consequences from impacts are definetely something that might make me want to reconsider the driving location. Oh well you have to pay to play.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:22 PM
BanksK

Okay thanks. I would also like to "water/dust proof " all the electronics at an affordable price... Any suggestions?

Old 01-10-2011, 05:18 AM
MD6

I would look at Traxxas electronics and LRP makes a water proof esc.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:39 PM
penmaker

I NEEDSOMEHELPWITHMYDF03RA, IM FRUSTRATED!!!!

I bought a bunch of hop ups for the vehicle and I think I was mislead on some of them and I am having some issues. Here are all the hop ups I got for the vehicle:

3 Racing Aluminium Steering Saver For Tamiya DF03
3 Racing Aluminium Gear Box Plate Tamiya Dark Impact
3 Racing Bevel Shaft Set For Tamiya DF03
3 Racing Alu Front C Hub Dark Impact DF03-12/LB
3 Racingn Front Aluminum Suspension Arms For DF-03RA
3 Racingn Rear Aluminum Suspension Arms For DF03RA
3 Racing Rear Aluminum Hub Carrier For DF03
3 Racing Aluminum Oil Damper Set Ver.2 For Tamiya DF03

I am having trouble with the dogbones staying in the rear differential.
When I run the car on blacktop, i glued the tires, it seems like the tires just keep "slipping/spinning"
I cant get the front tires to align strait also.

Please help.

Here are some pics.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92166.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	1547175   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pl32301.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	1547176   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns44698.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	1547177  
Old 01-13-2011, 05:51 PM
Casper06

Two problems there, one is 3Racing is hit or miss on fitment and quality. Second is you are running the shocks for the DF03 buggy mostly likely which is over extending your ride height. You need to use standard touring car sized shocks. Try replacing the 3Racing one with the ones that came with the kit and see how that goes.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:55 PM
theibault

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those shocks are for the DF03 buggy. Complete diff susp geometry. Casper hit the nail on the head.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:29 PM
penmaker

Ok, with that being said about the buggy, what do I need to do to make it a buggy?? which tires etc?
Old 01-13-2011, 08:26 PM
alexchen86

With the rear dog bones popping off an easy fix is to pack more foam into the cup followed by a servo o ring and then more foam. This keeps mud/water/dirt out. I've submarined my DF-03Ra several times and the diffs are always super clean when I check them out.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:38 AM
Casper06

ORIGINAL: penmaker

Ok, with that being said about the buggy, what do I need to do to make it a buggy?? which tires etc?
Are you trying to turn it into a complete DF03? Not liking the DF03-RA?
Old 01-20-2011, 12:59 PM
Eman77

Dang it, now I want one of these things. Lancia body. Trimmed body posts nearly flush with the body. (Can't sport a rally body like that and not make it tight)
Old 01-20-2011, 03:05 PM
Casper06

You should have caught LB's special during December...

Still never too late to get one from Tower!
Old 01-20-2011, 04:12 PM
mr06

"Ok, with that being said about the buggy, what do I need to do to make it a buggy?? which tires etc?"

Hello,

You have the df03 shocks and df03 shocktowers on your df03ra chasis. To help complete the transformation to df03 buggy you will need the longer front and back swing arms for the df03. I imagine you will need longer dogbones as well.
Ihope this helps.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:58 AM
Eman77

ORIGINAL: Casper06

You should have caught LB's special during December...

Still never too late to get one from Tower!
I know, I know - not sure if I was aware of his special. If I was, I was probably too buried in debt to consider it. He says it was a good deal. Maybe I should have. [&:]

Really want that Lancia all of a sudden.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:04 AM
bymannan

Hi All, I am looking to get this kit. I have a few questions about it, hope you can help.

1. Can I run LiPo with the stock motor and ESC? I plan to use a ZIPPY Flightmax 5000mAh 2S1P 20C hardcase pack. There isn't much use for an old NiMH battery, I plan to go Brushless at some point.

2. How much run time can I expect from the stock setup with the above LiPo?
I am a heli guy, on helis you fly for like 4.5 minutes... So I hope this will be a lot more.

3. Can this car kinda rally drift with stock electronics? Can it do that with any electronics configuration?

Thanks for now

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.