Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Running 2 ESCs in parallel running 2 motors

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 02:47 PM
Gazzarose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running 2 ESCs in parallel running 2 motors

Hi guys, Im part way through a project to modify a TT01 to run 2 motors, but on a budget and only using stuff I've got in the shed.

My issue is that the 2 motors will be feeding the same spur gear, so must always be turning the same way and at the same speed.

I've got a few options of connecting them and need to know which would be best.

1 - 1 ESC running each motor then connected to RX with Y cable.

2 - Both ESCs connected to both Motors, ie everything in parallel, with the 2 escs then connected to the Rx with a Y cable.

Which one would be best? I'll be using 2 identical ESCs (standard Tamiya ones) and standard silver can 540 motors. I just wanted everything to run as smoothly as possible with out blowing anything up.

Regards

Gazza
Old 08-17-2009, 03:45 PM
Druss

Default RE: Running 2 ESCs in parallel running 2 motors

I don't think one esc would be able to handle the power draw of both motors. If you use two escs then a Y would work but I'd suggest a Futaba MSA-10 to ensure they start and stop at exactly the same time.

How are you even getting both motors to fit? Have you modified the rear bulkhead?
Old 08-17-2009, 03:57 PM
cowana

You mustn't do option 2 - option 1 will work fine.

Option 1 will blow up both ESCs - they use a high freqency PWM, and a difference of 1 millisecond could get them totally out of synch.

This would mean one would be powering the other = smoking electronics.

You'll need a Y lead for the ESCs.

A
Old 08-17-2009, 04:04 PM
Druss

ORIGINAL: cowana

You mustn't do option 2 - option 1 will work fine.

Option 1 will blow up both ESCs - they use a high freqency PWM, and a difference of 1 millisecond could get them totally out of synch.

This would mean one would be powering the other = smoking electronics.

You'll need a Y lead for the ESCs.

A
I'm a little confused, option 1 will work fine but it will blow up both escs? That's why the Futaba syncronizer...
Old 08-17-2009, 04:11 PM
Gazzarose

Thanks for the replies, I had a feeling that would be the answer.

Chopping out the standard motor mount on my spare rolling chassis, and replacing it with some ali sheet bent to suit. The second motor is gonna go where the battery normally sits. Havn't decided what to do with the battery yet. May have to make my own battery pack split into 2 so I can get everything nicely balanced.

I am just using this as a project to keep myself happy between DIY jobs that the GF has me doing, so I may be a while finishing the project.

Now I just need to figure out how to mount a spur gear onto the motor shaft so I can have a 1:1 pinion spur ratio. I tried running the motor inplace of the center shaft so giving me the 1:1 ratio, but the one motor didn't have enough power to go past 23mpg, so Im gonna try with 2 motors,lol.

Thanks again for the replies

Gazza
Old 08-17-2009, 04:33 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Ideally 1 esc and both motors in series (for slow speed) or in parallel (for high speed) would be best. In series the stock esc will hold up fine with 2 motors and they will spin slower as well. Since they are on a common spur gear or shaft this may be best set-up.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:54 AM
Gazzarose

Thanks for the replies,

If I put them in series I'll be back with a low top speed.

The plan was to have a rediculous *spelling* high speed, ok I won't have very much torque, but with ABS tyres it should drift quite well. When I have chance I'l make up the new motor mounts and get some spur gears. Still don't know how Im gonna mount the spur gear to the motor tho. I deally I want a ~55 tooth pinion, but I can't find any pinions that big with the same pitch. I've tried different pitches but can't find any that you can have an equal size spur and pinion. The next problem is I havn't got any way of making an adapter cos I havn't got a lathe.

It may be a while, but if/when I make any progress I update this thread.

regards

Gazza