Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Exceed RC Brushless Review

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 03:44 PM
tony.yu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exceed RC Brushless Review

I have been trying to find the review for Exceed RC brushless onroad car but didn't find much- I try search himoto/HSP/redcat but not much people own the brushless version/2.4Ghz one.

I just brought it 2 weeks ago and play about 30 min each day at least for the whole 2 weeks. I also don't have too much previous RC experience as my previous car is a stock TT01E with a upgraded 12/13T motor and bounch of other cheap ebay rc car

Here's some info: - I brought the 2.4Ghz with 3300kv brushless motor and 75A Novatech ESC which i spend 169$

[*]the shock are good - metal (unlike what they shown in photo), adjustable supension - although the spring are too soft, I adjusted it to the tighest and it seems about right[*]all the shaft are metal (center is aluminum), not sure about the dogbone, but metal for sure[*]all ball bearing[*]the wheel /tyre are good, with insert in them already[*]metal motor mount[*]battery is 2000mah , which are not bad( compare to brand name one)[/list]problem/ adjustment needed:
      [*]the battery plug it come with are the hardest to use, i use it impropery for the first 2 days - and i think most people complaining use it improperly
        [*]the plug is long and very hard to connect, so hard that you'll think it's already connected[*]you have to push in all the way (very hard)[*]and becarefull when you disconnect[/list][*]the pinon/spur gear are too tight, so tight that you'll have trouble rolling the car on the ground with your hand
          [*]oil and loose the motor a bit solve the issue[/list][*]the steering are set way too lose, tighten it up to the maxium[*]the wheel are overtighten, making them a bit hard to turn, remount them[*]the screw are both metric and British , and of different type and lengh (***???)[*]I do like the breaking feature, which let you break instead of reverse[*]the pinon/spur gear are encoused unlike what's shown on the site, however
            [*]the enclosure box won't make too precise, the pinon will rub it so i'll have to do some drammel work on it[/list][*]and of course, adjust the chamber, chaster and toe (which i like as stock TT01 can't do much)[/list]test run result;
              [*]it's a little bit faster then the TT01 i have with modified motor, but definatly a lot more power/acceleration(i'll say the speed is 40Mph at least)[*]TT01 can only do low speed drift which i don't like, too fake[*]I bash on hard rough asphalt, and I like high speed drifting (using rubber tyre), the car sure can do the high speed drift (feels like a nitro when rubbing tyre)[*]steering wise (after the adjustment), it's sharp but it doesn't return to center that well, tt01E is a bit better[*]the 2.4Ghz radio is nice, no antenna and the only draw back is that i have to alway turn off the car first then the radio[*]Jumping power is great[*]durability wise - very good, definitly on par with TT01 or better, i crash, flip, at least 5 times a day and no broken part yet[*]battery life is ok - not great about 15 min of high speed drift at most[*]the stock rubber tyre only last about4 session of high speed drift, than all insert fly out[*]temperature - quite high but not burning yet, about 150 F for ESC and Motor and battery after each session (but i do push it very hard)[/list]generally for 170$ - well worth it , TT01have to do quite a bit of upgrade to supress it and with that money i might just get a higher end TB
Old 07-26-2010, 05:59 PM
dug44
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Exceed RC Brushless Review

Not that bad of a review... for your first. One thing though, with the temps your running on the esc. I wouldn't expect it to last to long... Good Job though man, I liked reading it.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:39 PM
tony.yu

Thanks,

i was originally planning to get the EZrun brushless but end up getting this brushless due to the sale/coupon .

150F is too hot? i thought it should be around 200F to overheat but than i'm probably wrong, i'll see if i can grab a fan somewhere in my old pc for it
Old 07-28-2010, 06:41 AM
alexchen86

Generally speaking ESCs at 150F is pushing it...you are a little over the safe zone. I would say 130F would generally be the max I want my ESC to be. Also how hot is your motor after your runs?

I know those eZRun brushless setups are at great pricing but I have no personal experience with them on their durability or quality. I have a rally DF-03Ra that I would love to put a brushless setup in which is why I am asking. Thanks!

Old 07-31-2010, 08:54 AM
rc18junky

i recently got the ezrun 6100kv for my tc4 and it love it . i replaced my mamba 5700 after it went out and i must say it a good motor it runs cooler them the mamba event at higher gearing i was running a 18 pinion on the mamba but now im running a 22 on the 6100 and it runs cooler the the mamba but a good bit and the car is much faster
Old 08-12-2010, 02:36 PM
tony.yu

some follow up:

the quality control seems a bit off, my 3 friend all got the same car on discount, however it seems all 4 of our car are assembled/tuned differently
- my car - the spur gear mash was wrong right off the box, spur gear cover is also put on wrong so it rubbed the spur gear, diff gearing not smooth
- other car A - good excpt the center aluminum rack wasbend out of the box
- other car B -good but thechamber of the front wheel are set to negative a lot (i'll say 10+ degree), this caue the dogbone to fly out at high speed
- other car C -perfect andsmooth , same condiftion as mine after Irebuild mine, however theesc setting seems wrong or broken - car can't break and reverse slowly, acceleration was also noticably slower than other car - he's email nitrorcx to see if they can reprogram the esc/replace it

one thing to point outis watchout for the front axle's e-clip - it 'llwent loose if you cornor and hit the wall to hard, you won'tnotice it right away. however when the axelpinwent loose it'll distory your rim and tire.

the stock chargercharge slow - that's ok but one annoying thing is that it'll shut itself offafter about 1 and half hour(this was about the right time to charge a stock 1800mah battery).
however with the 2000mah battery it won't fully charge it and with the 4600mah battery i'll have to charge it 3 time always (ungplug and replug)

the wheel hub/axle design make it hard to find proper wheel, most 0 offset wheel won't fit witout a litte drammeling mod to the wheel

stock tire is junk
Old 08-20-2010, 08:16 PM
stalker77
My Feedback: (1)

i have the car in the Redcat version. Ive ran it quite a bit and so far no problems at all. Its verygood powerand handles pretty good. I just wish it had a higher gear ratio for some more top speed. Its gearedso low all it wants to dois spin out. Other thanthat I have no issues with mine. Im very happy. Ialso bought a set of 6 spokeHPI wheels andtires and a chevy silveradobody to give it my own taste.Iguess i will buy a Lipo for it next. I used my buddies lipo in for a bit and it was a totally different car. Power was insane.