Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Flight Simulator Software
Reload this Page >

Real Flight vs Athlon chips

Community
Search
Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

Real Flight vs Athlon chips

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2003, 09:31 PM
Squire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Real Flight vs Athlon chips

I have Real Flight Classic, the old one, and it was installed and worked fine on my old Pentium 233 MHz MMX machine. I built up a new machine using an Athlon 1700+ XP (ECS K7S5A motherboard), installed RF on this machine and it simply would not run. I never got the "PLEASE WAIT" screen - just a black screen. The sound is another matter. After much trying I gave up and went back to the old machine which performs flawlessly. Oh yes, I even tried G2 from a friend. It wouldn't run either.

The only conclusion I can come to is that the Athlon chips do not support all the commands that a Pentium does.

Does anyone else have this experience? Does anyone have RF Classic OR RF G2 running on an Athlon based machine?
Old 08-26-2003, 10:33 PM
Lightfoot
My Feedback: (1)

Do you have the same operating system on both machines? I tried to load RF Classic on my Athlon 1400 based homebuilt system running Windows 2000 and failed to get it to work. I pride myself in getting most types of software to work but I gave up on RealFlight. I had no problems with any version of Dave Brown RCFS or FMS or any other simulator for that matter. I refuse to fight with RF to get it to work when the others will serve my purposes.
Old 08-26-2003, 10:43 PM
MooseLoad

I am running RF G2 on an Athlon 1.2 and it has never had any problems. Sounds like maybe a video card or maybe even sound card issue.
Old 08-27-2003, 02:05 AM
PHIL I.

Default ??????

Athlon 2000 GForce 4 Ti 4200....NO PROBLEM.....Untill I tried to download a virus protecter.......I uninstalled it...OK again!
PHIL I.
After all the posts on virus protecters causing problems, I still tried......
Old 08-28-2003, 02:17 AM
Maxime

Make sure nothing is running in the background (especially antivirus or stuff like Norton inutilities ) when installing and running RF.

I had a 1600+ with a K7S5A motherboard ( worst mobo I've ever had... started dumping BIOS after a few months, need a POWERFUL power supply... etc...). I was not running the on-board sound. So if you are using the built-in sound card, that might be part of your problem...RF website says that they had trouble when they tested RF with those built-in soundcards.

Ran RF on this computer with Both Win98 and WinXP

Make sure all your drivers are up to date....
Old 08-28-2003, 02:07 PM
Squire

Default Real Flight vs. Athlon

Thanks guys for your comments. Well, it seems that Athlons are not the problem. I WAS running Norton Anti Virus as well as Zone Alarm firewall in the background. I'll have to try shutting these off with RF and see what happens. I don't run either of these on the older machine since it is not connected to the Internet at all - it is a stand alone machine.

Yes, this motherboard does have built in sound capabilities and it is good enough for me. Thus I don't have a separate sound card. The sound would play for only a few seconds and then just quit! Now, if I can just locate some cheap speakers for the old machine...

Just finished up a Great Planes Sportster MKII. After going low on the dual rates to tame it down it is a great flyer - besides it is a great looking plane. Ailerons @ 50% and elevator at 75%. Way too quick with the instruction's settings. Guess I need more stick time before going to the full settings.
Old 09-18-2003, 01:46 PM
daw
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: Real Flight vs. Athlon

I have the Athon 1.7 and the program works great. I did have to disable Norton during th install. I did have a no-sound problem until I stuck an old SB sound card in, instead of the on board sound. All is well and good now.
Old 09-18-2003, 02:08 PM
Orbitter

Default RE: Real Flight vs Athlon chips

KT4V AMI Mainboard w/ 1600 Athlon XP, Built in sound. Norton Antivirus, Norton Internet Security & CleanSweep running in the background... I had all this running when I installed RF also! I've never had a single problem. Works like a charm!

Something I might suggest and also do myself at least every 3 months is, format my primairy drive and reinstall Windows XP. I find (as well as many others) that unless you do this there are going to be system problems that occur over time. It's unavoidable.

P.S. Be sure to get all the updates for RF & Windows, it might help!

Regards,
Bryan
Old 09-18-2003, 03:02 PM
Maxime

Orbitter....

I would agree that reformatting every couple months is good if you were running win9X or WinME... However, WinXP and Win2000 are both very stable, and if you do not unecessarilly install/uninstall beta drivers and so-so sharewares and programs, you shouldn't need to reformat every so often.

Also, I hate re-activating WinXP after a new install.... ( to avoid this I made a ghost image of a freshly installed, activated winXP.... so don't need to reactivate and reinstalling takes only a few minutes )
Old 09-18-2003, 03:08 PM
Maxime

Oh and another thing....

When I was running Win98 .... I reinstalled 19 times ( including Realfight G2 ) in 1 1/2 year. Of course I had to re-register RF each time to download updates. After the 19 th reinstall.... They wouldn't re-register again, and when I called they said that I was under investigation ( or something like that ) because they now considered me a software pirate. They couldn't understand that I kept changing parts and re-formating my hard-drive....

Well I do not use a single pirated copy of any software... I prefer free software like OpenOffice instead of Microft Office, and so-on.

I sent a very "polite" email to RF support and in the end they changed my serial port version to the USB version to apologize. Well I wasn't hoping for that much... But I certainly didn't like being considered as a thieft.
Old 09-19-2003, 09:59 PM
peter65

I find most peoples XP Problems are self inflicted. I have been running XP since it's release and have had little trouble. I only reinstall if I feel like a refresh and that's not due to any troubles at all.
I am running Athlon 1Gb 512Mb, nVidia MMX440 64Mb, onborad sound. I also run Nortons and Zonealarm and except for disabling virus scan when I first installed G2 I have had no problems.

XP is the most stable Windows yet.

Starting to sound like a Microsoft ad. Sorry
Old 09-20-2003, 10:38 AM
Elwood
My Feedback: (2)

My Win XP system has been running without issue for 19 months. I use it almost daily, and have a lot of software on it.

My WinME system has been running since Win ME came out! I might have reinstalled it a few months after due to new HW, but that is it! Why do people have so many problems? This thing has been running for years!
Old 09-20-2003, 10:53 AM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

I run an Athlon 750 on 98SE and I've never had to re-install or re-format or anything except turn it on and fly!!
Old 09-20-2003, 05:01 PM
Orbitter

Most people don't install as much software or screw around with there system as much as I do. I do so much with my comp that about every 3 or 4 months I need to reinstall to keep my system @ optimal performance!

If someone is having problems though with RealFlight or the like, I would suggest formatting and reinstalling. But only if your having problems. If you don't then great!

Just my 2 cents worth.

Regards,
Bryan
Old 09-20-2003, 11:06 PM
Elwood

The RFG2 should work fine on an Athlon.

As for the reinstall thing, I used to do the same. Then I realized it was a HW issue. I bought a better MB and all was fine. The only issue I had with RF G2 was the AGP bus driver (not the AGP card driver). After this driver was upgraded from the Windoze version it ran fine, and still does. Sometimes it gets blown out, but it is quite easy to reinstall the driver.

The only time I reinstall now is for learning different OS's or for research at work. I am learning Solaris and want to get the Sys Admin cert from Sun. As for the PC Reinstalls, this will be a thing of the past at work. I just got VMWare. Install once, do to it whatever I want, then delete the changes and go back to the original! Gotta love it!
Old 09-24-2003, 04:27 PM
MJFinegan

I have run RFG2 on 2 different AMD equipped machines. The first used a Duron 650 and the second is using an Athlon 2000XP. Both machines used a Geforce 2 AGP with 32 meg of vid memory. Both performed nicely. The only problem I encountered was a video issue with Windows 2000. RFG2 (at least the version I have) does not like in any way shape or form Directx 8 which comes integral to Win2000. Program would launch, splash screen would appear, music would kick in
the the screen would go white and the program would lock up. Several visits to the RF web page helped identify the problem and the solution was simple and nearly painless. The long and short of it is this. Download a directx blaster, use this to erase directx8. Then download and install a previous version of directx. Worked like a charm! Further details are on the Real Flight web page in the knowledge base if memory serves...