Community
Search
Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

FMS

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2004, 06:54 PM
FlyingMonkey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FMS

I am new to RC, still wet behind the wings. I have a Dura Plane w/.46 to learn on, I have crashed this plane many times due to control confusion. Once again I have fixed this tank I mean plane. Its the off season foe me, but getting close to fly time. My question is... I saw on this forum somewhere or maybe a web page that said to fly FMS before attempting the real thing. Well I did the real thing and I am not a natural. I downloaded FMS and I have learned to fly those planes quit well, making them do as I wish. I have full control going, coming and inverted. Not that I would attempt inverted at this point with my plane. I think I will get to the question now. lol Is this FMS almost identical, very similar, simular, kinda close, not even close, or say your prayers next time you fly your tank. Do you think if I'm flying FMS like second nature the real thing should come to me faster now. Hope I posted this In the correct forum. And by the way RIP to my Outlaw. Here is a pic.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db83819.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	95489  
Old 01-30-2004, 12:28 AM
Trogdor the Burninator

Default RE: FMS

Hey Monkey... I'm pretty much a noob but have many hours on Realflight and FMS before I started flying for real and can say that FMS is not very realistic... Basically its good to teach control reversal and little else.

Realflight and others are much better at simulating actual flight with wind and much more realistic flight... I mean even basic things FMS doesnt have like banking and then holding up elevator to turn maintaining altitude... but more... some things seem weird with more advanced aerobatics but I guess there really is no 100% substitute.

I feel the commercial sim was well worth the money even though it is overpriced but I must say sitting in a recliner in my underwear in my study flying realflight is not nerve-wracking like getting in a precarious situation in real life! Just remember that! (not the underwear part... the being outside with real plane is just harder part! hahah)
Old 01-30-2004, 09:44 AM
FlyingMonkey

Hey Trogdor,

Thanks for the info. Thats what I was thinking. Its fun but not very realistic. I do agree with the control part, it does help with reversal, and I think that is the cause of many of my crashes to date. I will try to get the underware thing out of my head now, its a little distressing. lol.

Take Care,
The Monkey
Old 01-30-2004, 10:49 AM
Trogdor the Burninator

Another nice thing about a commercial sim like Realflight is all the options you have to do things like slow time and enlarge planes to double size or so... helps a lot when learning hovering or helicopters... oh ya, helicopters in FMS are SOOOO unrealistic... anyone can fly a heli in that with a minute or two of time... move to another more realistic sim and you'll be crashing right and left! However, I do have to say its cool that someone HAS written a freeware sim that has some value.

Also, the realflight USB controller is great but now that I have a Hitec computer radio I use that and thats nice as well... but the best thing is for times like the winter when its too damn cold outside to fly and being able to fly anytime on the PC.. almost as good. Flying over the internet is kinda cool too. Some here have dismissed its value but I think its kinda cool to see what others are doing and maybe pick something up.

Ok, so I won't tell you about the flying naked... nothing like torque rolling in the buff... hahahhaah
Old 01-30-2004, 02:07 PM
gr8johnson3

i am new also. last year was my first year flying. i have flown both fms and G2. the G2 not nearly as much. but i just bought it off ebay for $140.00 for the full version :-) .the G2 is much more real when it comes to takoff and landing. the fms is great to teach orientation. when i went out to the field for the first time (after using fms for a couple months) my instructor said i was ready to solo after a few landings. it helped a bunch. good luck.
Old 01-31-2004, 07:56 PM
FlyingMonkey

Well Trogdor I flew the ugly stick today. I had good control of the plane. Even managed to trim it in flight, well after one crash trying to trim to low. I have realized at this point that FMS isn't very close to real, but I give it a thumbs up. I owe my flights today to it. Control reversal had been my problem the whole time. After a few hours on FMS its second nature now and its keeping my plane in one piece. I actually took it home today with no work to be done other than clean up and tighten some screws that are a little lose do to vibration. I had fun. I did manage a planned roll. Very scary! The guys flying with me were behind cars and in the woods. I pulled out of it but only 4 feet from the ground (not planned) and way to close to us. I wont be trying that again for a little while longer.

As for flying in the buff, just don't grab the wrong stick!

The Monkey
Old 02-02-2004, 04:33 PM
Trogdor the Burninator

HAHAH, I'll try to keep in control!

Well, congrats on the flight and ya, if you just want to learn basic control, I too then would give FMS thumbs up. If you want something to train yourself in aerobatics, 3D or helis, or you want to try other types of planes or to fly for fun for extended periods then you need something better, in my opinion.

I'm about to get a light foamy 3D plane and maybe splurge on a brushless motor to see if all the hours spent in realflight have been worth it learning hovering! Tax refund and bonus due this month so I'm just waiting for checks!
Old 02-03-2004, 11:41 AM
techcoast

where can I get a cable to go from my Futaba super 7 to the computer for the FMS sim????
Old 02-03-2004, 12:40 PM
Luftman
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: techcoast

where can I get a cable to go from my Futaba super 7 to the computer for the FMS sim????
There are many places, here is one: http://www.tti-us.com/sim/products.html
Doing a serch through the forums will net you more options though.
Old 02-03-2004, 02:36 PM
techcoast

thanks for the heads up!!!