Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Flight Simulator Software
Reload this Page >

FLIGHT SIMULATOR RECOMMENDATIONS

Community
Search
Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

FLIGHT SIMULATOR RECOMMENDATIONS

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 09:58 AM
WILDCRASHWILLY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default FLIGHT SIMULATOR RECOMMENDATIONS

I'm thinking about purchasing a flight simulator and wondered if anyone has tried the new XTR simulator. I need to decide if the XTR is the way to go or should I go with real flight. The graphics on the XTR are outstanding from what I've read, but I'm sure it will also have drawbacks, I just don't know what they are.

All opinions are appreciated.
Old 08-23-2004, 12:23 PM
fpdesignco
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: FLIGHT SIMULATOR RECOMMENDATIONS

aeroflypro without a adoubt www.aeroflypro.com
Old 08-23-2004, 01:02 PM
stang
My Feedback: (1)

Simulators are a waste of time (in my opinion). I got rid off all mine and now spend the time building or flying. I talk to more and more r/c' pilots who are coming to the same conclusion.
Old 08-23-2004, 03:04 PM
frisket

Reflex looks so awesome but you need a fast computer to run it.
Realflight is good but IMO is overpriced.
I really like AeroFly Pro, it's not that expensive and the simulation and physics are great as well as the graphics (not as good as Reflex but a lot much better than RF G2).

In conclusion as fpdesignco said, AeroFly Pro is the way to go.

My two cents.

P.S. I disagree with stanng, I do not think the Flight sims are a waste of time, they are tools to improve your skills.
Old 08-23-2004, 04:22 PM
WILDCRASHWILLY

I wanted a good sim to work on 3d. I'm pretty good at tearing up models without trying 3d. I thought the sim would give me some training without the repeated risk. I know it won't be the same as actual flight time but it may be close enough. Winter weather will be to this part of the country in a few months and I thought that would be a good time to buy a sim. I'm planning on replacing my computer by then so I'll try to get one to handle the graphics of a good sim.

Please keep the suggestions coming, I'm listening to everybody.
Old 08-23-2004, 05:18 PM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

Just watch some of the videos of AFP. As you will see AFP can handle all the 3D moves you throw at it.

www.aeroflypro.com

As far as sims as a waste of time ... that's about the worst advice you can give to anyone wanting to learn new moves instead of using your own $300-800 airplanes to practice with. It's better to just hit the spacebar everytime you crash then build a new one.
Old 08-23-2004, 09:01 PM
cfossa
My Feedback: (5)

First off ... simulators are NOT a waste of time. I learned to fly on RealFlight G2, and it certainly has paid for itself in averted crashes.

I have G2, and AFP should be on the way (ordered it last Thursday). There is much G2 bashing here, but it is a good program. The models fly very close to "real" .40-.60 sized models which they represent. I can personally speak for the GP Extra 300S and the GP Spacewalker ... both of these fly close enough to the real thing on G2 that I can practice maneuvers on the sim before trying them at the field. Plus G2 has a nice USB controller if you don't want to fly with your radio turned on.

Plenty of info on AFP in this forum, The consensus is that AFP is the best program for 3D flying. I will not comment until I get my copy and try it myself . The "cheaper" claim for AFP is decieving though, since AFP with a contoller is $10 cheaper than G2 with a controller. The difference is that you need the controller w/G2 even if you want to use your own radio.

Best of luck, and enjoy whichever sim you buy. They will all help you get better.

Carl
Old 08-23-2004, 09:18 PM
Joe Papa

Any of the good sims will help improve your flying skills. Realflight and Aerofly Pro are both very good, but I prefer Reflex XTR myself. Only sim that makes me feel like I've been really at the field.[8D]
Old 08-23-2004, 10:44 PM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: cfossa
The "cheaper" claim for AFP is decieving though, since AFP with a contoller is $10 cheaper than G2 with a controller.
Don't forget to add the free Expansion Pack and hundreds of free downloads into your equation when you do your math.
Old 08-24-2004, 08:08 AM
Wright Flyer

Vote for XTR - I've owned a LOT of R/C simulators over the years and NOTHING comes even close to the graphics or reality of XTR (and mine isn't that powerful a PC - a 2.4G AMD but it's a good idea to have a decent nVidia (or similar) graphics card)

Cliff
Old 08-24-2004, 04:58 PM
WILDCRASHWILLY

I like the idea of not having to use my radio as controller. Thanks guys please keep the ideas flowing.
Old 08-24-2004, 07:42 PM
3D-kid330
My Feedback: (1)

Aerofly pro without a doubt!!
Old 08-24-2004, 08:48 PM
LeeU
My Feedback: (5)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have AFP and G2 with all 5 add-on's, what do I think of them, I just sold my G2 and its 5 add on's on the RC Universe Market Place. AFP is hands down the best, G2 will help you fly and if you spend a lot of time tweaking you can get airplanes to fly ok, the one thing with G2 that convinced me to switch was "T!try to flat spin in G2", with AFP start the sim and it is RealFlight but just not by Great Planes. AFP and G2 are the only ones that I have stick time on so between the two AFP. If G2 was close I would have kept both, but it was not even close. The only thing that I fly is Fun Flys so that has something to do with my choice as well. LeeU
Old 08-25-2004, 03:42 AM
Spacey

If it's physics you want for flying 3D or just plain real simulation go AFP.

From what I've read if you want to play a game with good graphics go get Unreal or Doom 3 or whatever. XTR=simulator? Well then I guess so does FMS. (Not bashing just my humble opinion)

And then I guess I have to say one good thing for G2. If you want to practise autorotations with helis then I think you want G2. That's the only thing I found it to be a little more fun than AFP. But AFP is right on its heels with that one. Sorry, I don't practise flying heli at all so I'm clicking on my AFP all the time.
Old 08-25-2004, 06:12 AM
joeb102072
My Feedback: (9)

Havent flown XTR but if graphics are what you are interested in then IMO it wins hands down. I was a hard core 3D learner and wanted to crash into it head first after buying RF G2 and add ons 1-5 i realized for 3D it was nothing more than an overpriced video game. Nothng of what i read about 3D flying was consistant with RF. As you know RF and addons are very expensive and I was very disapointed in learning that even the down loaded planes dont poses the physics to simulate a real 3D plane at the field. As I know now NOTHING really does but I figured there has to be something closer than RF for 3D. AFP hands down best 3D sim on the market IMO. I love it and I can relate it to the field there were some suprises when transitioning a plane from the sim to the field but they wernt monumental enough to make it a learning experience all over again. If general flight characteristics is your thing and getting the planes attitute adjustments down is still new to you then go for any of the sims they will all do a good job. But if 3D is in your future and price is a factor AFP is the one IMO.