Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Flight Simulator Software
Reload this Page >

MRC Reflex XTR flight sim.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

MRC Reflex XTR flight sim.

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2004, 10:02 PM
hiflyer2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MRC Reflex XTR flight sim.

Has anyone out there used the MRC Reflex XTR flight simulator, and what do you think about it? Is it as good as its advertising suggests? Any problems with it, etc.
Old 10-04-2004, 12:51 PM
BIDCALR
My Feedback: (76)

Default RE: MRC Reflex XTR flight sim.

I've been using it for less than a week and just want to say UN-BELIEVE-ABLE!
Old 10-05-2004, 08:54 PM
computermonkey
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are your graphics smooth or choppie?
Old 10-08-2004, 08:17 PM
BIDCALR
My Feedback: (76)

Very smooth but it requires specific system requirements as described on the Reflex site.
Old 10-11-2004, 09:36 PM
hiflyer2

Bidcallr: Can you give any specifics on what you liked, didn't like, and how it operates. Thanks, hiflyer2.
Old 10-11-2004, 09:37 PM
hiflyer2

Bidcallr: Can you give any specifics on what you liked, didn't like, and how it operates? Thanks, hiflyer2.
Old 10-26-2004, 04:56 PM
thunderbugger

I have had it for a month now, Looks Beutiful, flys well. The only down side right now is that it has no multi/twin engines, there are few add on aircraft yet, and building your own takes longer than stick building a kit ( I have both going right now and the kit is way ahead). The ability to use your own transmitter is nice so you can be comfortable with it, but if your just getting into flying like me chances are you bought a trainer with 4 channels, and a 4 cahnnel radio, so the models with retractable gear will keep their gear down, and you only get to try a heli with 4 channels. (Not a reflection on the software, just a statement, the software will handle many channels). Maybe I have not played with it enough (my wife would likely disagree) but I have not found a way to have intermittent thermals, they are everywhere. Its more like an updraft than a thermal and it covers the whole feild. I haven't tried that feature much so it may work better than i am saying. I know I have been mostly critical but I do like this simulator. I have a very nice computer and so it runs well on my machine at full resolution and detail. I do notice that it made me a better flier in a hurry. I soloed a month after I bought my trainer, and 2 weeks after i bought the sim, only went out on weekends.
Old 10-31-2004, 08:59 PM
Scott55
My Feedback: (16)

I have tried to download some of the planes from there download site and have had no luck. If anyone could help me on this matter it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you kindly.
Old 11-01-2004, 10:42 PM
BrandoUno
My Feedback: (2)

Turn off your firewall/anti-spyware/anti-popup software and it will go
ORIGINAL: Scott55

I have tried to download some of the planes from there download site and have had no luck. If anyone could help me on this matter it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you kindly.
Old 11-02-2004, 09:31 AM
YBLee
My Feedback: (1)

Has anyone had both Reflex and G2 and what is the difference besides the price? Is there a preference?
Old 11-02-2004, 10:16 AM
BasinBum

I own G2 and have spent only 45 minutes on Reflex but Reflex is better than G2 for picture and physics. G2 is superior as an interface and for the extra features but picture and physics probably outweigh those features.

I have also spent several hours on G3 and it is superior to Reflex on many levels. Reflex uses photos for the background which looks good but comes with several downsides, you can only fly in front of yourself for example.

Since they are the same price I'd say G3 is the way to go as it has superior physics, looks better than AFP and has more features and is easier to use than any of the others.
Old 11-02-2004, 11:48 AM
Scott55
My Feedback: (16)

Hi, thank you kindly for your response. I shut off the pop up and =
firewall but could not find the spyware. I am no very comp. literate so =
please bear with me. How do you get the plane in to the simulation after =
it is downloaded? Any help would be more than appreciated.

Sincerely,

Scott
Old 11-02-2004, 12:23 PM
YBLee

Thx for the good comparison on Reflex and G2 Basin. I guess at this point it makes sense to go with G3 but am I hearing it right, the app doesn't have any Heli support yet? My promary interest is in Electric Helicopters right now so if that is the case, I guess I'll wait or see what the rebate on the G3 will be for G2 buyers.
Thx again.
Old 11-03-2004, 10:39 PM
Tricktrack

Can you run the xtr simulator from the disk rather than installing it on your system?
Old 11-07-2004, 12:28 PM
Mikel-t
My Feedback: (12)

This Sim uses high quality graphics. I'm no techie but you must have a graphic driver that can handle this program . Graphic cards are easy to install just read a) Your computer owner guide b.) the guide from the Card/Driver manufactor you choose. Best thing is first find out what graphics capabilities ( Hardware) your system has. You'll need 128 MG's free to make it run as it should. Give a call to Reflex support or the web site. Best is to talk to one of the guys and they can help you match up with a Graphics Card/Driver available at most big box retailers, CompUSA etc. for @ $99. bucks. DO THIS AS IT WILL ADD TO YOUR ENJOYMENT 10 FOLD! OK/ Mikel-T
Old 11-14-2004, 04:16 PM
flyerdude

BasinBum,

How did you get time in the RealFlight G3. I did not think it was out yet..
Old 11-15-2004, 10:23 AM
FAA

Having both Reflex XTR and G2 (with all add ons excpet #1) I have the following to report:

REFLEX XTR

This is one incredible simulator. Period. The physics are very very good from the aircraft down to the dumpy take off from the field including the possibility of taking partial damage to your models (bent landing gears, etc).

The visuals are stunning. The controls and trims are mapped to YOUR transmitter. Infinite FREE new fileds and FREE new models. I already have downloaded over 100 new models from various sites, and 20 new sceneries.

The model physics are incredibly real. So real, that I thougt I was flying at my field when I first started using XTR. After many hours on G2, I can say that Reflex XTR leaves G2 in the dirt. I find mysewlf using Reflex more and more over G2.

Limitations: You cannot change your flying location. REFLEX XTR is not a ture 3D generated environment. It uses actual photgraphy that is "mapped" to a background to create a pseudo 3D space. This effect is truly stunning, because the environment and depth of field are much better than either G2 and the demo of G3 that I saw. Depth of field is what creates the sense of space. Sunlight and glare and shadows are also very realistic in Reflex XTR. Is this a problem ? No. There are many scenes to choose from and many more to down load for free (did I say FREE ? Yes FREE!). So no matter how finiky you are you will find a scenery that you like. Also, how many times do you change your position in realflight G2 ? I presonally never have. So if your like me, Reflex XTR wont change anything for you.

G2 and demo G3

G2 is a 3D generated environment. The physics are decent. Not great. The fix wing aircraft have better physics than the helis.
G3 is pretty much the same, but with improved algorithms. The 3D engine was revised and the models where tweaked. The demo version of G3 that I tried did not impress me. There was new scenery and better graphics but in the end I found the models still lacking.

Comparison:

If you fly helis more so than fix wing aircraft get REFLEX XTR. No questions asked. THERE IS NOTHING OUT THERE THAT COMES EVEN CLOSE ! The only thing missing from XTR for helis is the nitro smell. Thats how good it is. In G2 i tried for years to get my Raptor model to fly like my real heli but no matter what I did it never even came close. With Reflex, all I could say was "Holy Cow !" G3 does not have a heli offering until next year and based on what I saw for the fix wing aircraft, you cannot go worng with Reflex XTR.

Fix wing. I am a bit torn here. G3 is a better environment for flying fix wing aircraft. Even though Reflex has better physics and depth of field, (I always hate the way G2 and G3 for that matter model depth of field), I like the new look of G3. It seems to work for aircraft. I still believe the physics in Reflex are better for 3D flight. If 3D flight is what you want to pratctice get Reflex. If you are a sport flier, then get G3.

The big down side for me is the way Knife Edge is managing their product. G2 owners will have no upgrade path to G3. That to me is unacceptable. I am sure that this will change once Great Planes and Knife Edge do not see the revenue comming in. Give untill Spring of 2005. Thats one bussiness QTR and the Management will be screaming (!!).

The other down side is Knife Edge / Great Planes use the "pay as you go" system. Closed architecture, means your stuck with whatever we offer you ! This is bad policy. I do not like Great Plane models, and thats what I seem to get with the add ons. Honestly, most Great Plane models are not great ! The Open architectures of Aerofly Pro, Reflex XTR and FMS are changing the market place and consumers expectations.

Knife Edge / Great Planes want to milk consumers. That is not good customer policy. There use to be a time when they could do that. That time has finally gone.

So choose wisely grasshopper.
Old 11-15-2004, 03:21 PM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

I posted a little "fan site" of Reflex XTR a while back... I love it... the physics for everything including 3D feel real to me and the graphics are awesome...

I have 3 videos on the site as well so check it out...

http://renderwurx.com/rc/reflexxtr/
Old 11-17-2004, 01:29 AM
wind junkie

Has anyone noticed that when you fly the plane far away the roll rate seems to slow down? I don't know if it's my computer or not, but if I do rollers in a big circle, by the time I get to the far side of the circle, I'm really rolling in slow motion compared to the near side.

It's so bad that I lose the "connected" feel that I get on other sims like Aerofly or G2.

It was so annyong, that I lent the XTR to a friend who's just starting out. Another friend just got an update disc in the mail today, but neither of us know if this was one of the bugs that got fixed, or what the occasion was.
Old 11-17-2004, 08:33 PM
Charlie

I already have downloaded over 100 new models from various sites, and 20 new sceneries.
FAA Where did you download all the sceneries from and what file in Reflex did you drop them in? Thanks
Old 11-24-2004, 10:43 PM
wingster
My Feedback: (26)

In reply to Wind Junkie.

I just got the Reflex Xtr last week. I also noticed that the control rates seem to slow down as you get farther away I noticed this for rolls and snaps. I went to their site and got the update, so the update does not seem to fix the problem.

Does anyone know of a 2m pattern plane for Reflex Xtr?
Old 11-25-2004, 08:06 AM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

Charlie,

You can download planes and sceneries for XTR and other sims at:

http://www.rc-sim.de/index_en.htm

You have to register to be able to download....

As far as the sceneries... they are made tricky a little tricky because two files are converted to jpegs in order to make for quick download, then when you finish downloading them, you have to reconvert them into BMP's.

A few of them even have you copy a couple important files from an existing scenery...

It's really not all that bad onece you get over the first couple.

The sceneries are located in this directory:

C:\Program Files\REFLEX\Umwelt\Wlp (with the C:\Program Files\ being where you installed the sim to)

Most of the sceneries are contained in folders so you just copy the folder into the WLP folder, convert the jpegs into BMPs and then run the program. WHne you select the scenery it will create it's internal files for the new scenery and then run it.

To convert a jpeg into BMP you can right click on it, select preview, then in the preview window there is a disk icon... click it and you'll get a save box... change the jpeg drop down to BMP and click save... There are two files named either S1.jpg & S1_a.jpg or S2.jpg & S2_a.jpg. These are the ones needed converted.

A file MIGHT have to copy from another scenery you downloaded is S1.wlp or S2.wlp.

It's like this:

The S1 or S2 file is the actual panaorama picture.

The S1_a or S2_a is a black and white "mask" picture that is used to allow you fly behind trees, etc. If it's white it will appear at a specific distance and you can fly in front or behind it.

The S1.wlp or S2.wlp file is the data file... (at least this is my guess) and contains the info on where to apply the mask to and the "distance" at which to make it "there".

Pretty much all the sceneries available do not use the mask or data file (they STILL need to be there) and therefore you fly forever in any direction.

For instance an indoor gym I downloaded ... you can fly towards a wall and the plane just gets smaller... kind of like an Alice in Wonderland thing... still yet it's very usable and fun... you mind will tell you when you are beyond where you need to be.

Lot of info... but you asked...

If you download one and can't get it to work, post a note here on which one and I'll lead you through it.

Oh... and Happy Thanksgiving all...

-David
Old 11-25-2004, 02:36 PM
capncrunch
My Feedback: (5)

I am working on a mag review of the MRC sim and note that you siad that "you have downloaded over 100 models from various sites.

Can you be specific?

I have the4 latest upgrafe of the program ( mailed to me from Germany), but feel that the selection of models is limited. Your approach would solve that problem.

Your comments are right on about the program...Well said..
Old 11-25-2004, 03:52 PM
tahustvedt

ORIGINAL: wind junkie

Has anyone noticed that when you fly the plane far away the roll rate seems to slow down? I don't know if it's my computer or not, but if I do rollers in a big circle, by the time I get to the far side of the circle, I'm really rolling in slow motion compared to the near side.

It's so bad that I lose the "connected" feel that I get on other sims like Aerofly or G2.

It was so annyong, that I lent the XTR to a friend who's just starting out. Another friend just got an update disc in the mail today, but neither of us know if this was one of the bugs that got fixed, or what the occasion was.
After reading this I just had to try it myself. I tried it with both the MS Composit 3D foamie and the large Exclusiv Hulk aerobatic model. I can't see any difference in roll rate at all between far away and near by or anywhere in between. I also tried rolling from the camera position and away.

I have used the first RealFlight and G2 before and have both G2 and XTR installed on my PC now. I never liked how the helis flew in G2, and I never thought planes acted right at low speed and particularly high alpha. XTR feels very correct to me. I never even once changed the cameraposition except for when I tried onboard camera in RF 1. I don't see a need for that function at all.

I have years of 3D modelling experience, both CAD design and realtime scenery and car models, and the G3 screenshots I've seen look very dated and basic to me. The way the XTR engine combines the invisible 3D terrain and scenery models to fit the panoramic photo works seamlessly. You can fly behind objects, land on tables and even fly behind transparent glass and it looks perfect. They did a good job. It's the first time a simulator has felt immersive to me. Knifeedge might introduce a similar photo technique to G3 in a free patch later so I'm curious as to how well that works if it's released. XTR has a non-panorama 3D scenery as well where you can change the camera position but I havent' tired it yet.

The only negative point about XTR is that the Kyosho M24 heli is horrible, and that after three hours of constant fun the simulator seems to run out of memory and starts swapping so I'm forced to restart my computer (happens on both my PC's). I don't consider it a problem.

My $0.02

I am considering getting Aerofly Pro Deluxe as well. I have only seen screenshots of it so far and it looks interesting. Shadows are better in XTR though but whadows aren't everything.

EDIT:
I have downloaded a lot of good helis and planes from http://www.rc-sim.de but all the sceneries I have downloaded have been useless.

Regards,
Tor Arne
Norway
Old 11-26-2004, 08:45 AM
Wright Flyer

ORIGINAL: capncrunch

Can you be specific?
See messages above - it's www.rc-sim.de - that is THE place for all things to do with ANY R/C simulator. Most people making scenery or models for FMS, AFP, XTR or whatever post their models to rc-sim so everyone just needs to look in the one place.

The only downside of the site is that it's just run by two German "enthusiasts" and they don't have the money to support huge amounts of bandwidth so it has a habit of running out of bandwidth towards the end of each month.

Cliff

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.