Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Flight Simulator Software
Reload this Page >

Dave Brown Flight Sim

Community
Search
Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

Dave Brown Flight Sim

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2001, 08:51 PM
gubbs3
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dave Brown Flight Sim

If anyone has experience with this sim then feel free to voice your opinion.
Old 12-10-2001, 01:59 PM
dant-RCU
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dave Brown Sim

I just installed this system over the weekend and am in the "novice" stage in using it. So far the only complaint that I have is that the instructions (on line help) are a little thin in discussing the various parameters that you can select to setup an aircraft. However, this also might be that it is new to me and I haven't spent a lot of time with it.

One thing I don't like is that I cannot get the Cub to have ailerons. Now, this may also be something I am doing. I am going to send a query to Dave Brown on this.

The graphics are fine and the option to add "fog" is cute as I do fly in the fog at times in the spring and fall. Setup was a breeze and the "calibrate joy-sticks" function was a no-brainer.

I am running the sim on a Duron-950 with 128K RAM and 32k onboard video/sound on Windows 2000. No problems there. The display is smooth and the images are sharp.

I would like to see more aircraft (I don't do heli's) available but, so far, for $129.00 I have no major complaints.

I do need to spend more time using it so maybe in about a week or so (I am on vacation starting next week throught the end of the year) I will have a more educated opinion.

My .02 - so far.

Dan

***** edit starts here *****

I just found out there is an "add on" package that contains more aircarft. I will probably get this since it is supposed to contain a Pitts Special and an Untimate Bipe.

Dan
Old 12-11-2001, 12:27 AM
gubbs3

Thanks for the info. I'm not sure what I will get since I missed the end of the auction on eBay. Oh well, there will be more.
Old 12-12-2001, 12:51 PM
dant-RCU
My Feedback: (3)

Default Cub on Dave Bworn

OK, I figured it out by myself.

The Cub defaults to 3-channel (which I knew). There is a check-box that you uncheck to make it 4-channel. HOWEVER, there is another setting (Aileron Effectiveness) that must be set to a non-zero (3-channel default) value. When I set that, the Cub flies true 4-channel.

I am happy as I have a Cub about ready to fly so I can get a little sim time.

So far, I haven't found anything major to complain about.

Dan
Old 12-13-2001, 03:38 AM
JBH
Banned

Default Got a DB Sim FOR SALE

Check it out:

http://home.earthlink.net/~jb01/sale-items.htm
Old 02-08-2002, 04:56 PM
JasonD

I've been using the Dave Brown simulator for about a month now. I really like it. In fact next pay check I'll buy the add on pak for more aircraft.

I would recommend it to anybody who wants to update your skills.

One good thing about it is that you get great tech support from the man himself if you have any problems. Part of what I like in a product is feeling good about giving my money to them. Dave Brown qualifies extremely nice and helpful.

An example of a company with a great product and lousy service is Morris hobbies. The Rossi 45 looks like a great engine. But if you call them up for any tech support they make you feel like your stupid and shouldn't be asking any questions. I was going to buy their Morris the Knife, but I'll build something else before I give them any more of my money.

I like the flight box on Dave Brown also very easy to use.

Sincerely,

jason
Old 02-10-2002, 01:19 AM
jjordan-RCU

I've been using DB 2001 RCFS and is a great sim for learning. One thing I found tho, was if you put your plane into a flat spin, either inverted or upright, I can't get out of the spin, no way, no how...

Any suggestions out there???

Thanks
Jordy...
Old 02-10-2002, 06:00 PM
gubbs3

I haven't been able to get it out of a spin either. Not a chance.
Old 02-12-2002, 03:18 AM
jjordan-RCU

I emailed Dave Brown and got the following back from him in regards to the flat spins...great response and prompt...great service...

John

Lets demonstrate it in an upright spin, first, and you will then find that the same technique works inverted.

From high altitude, enter an upright, left, conventional spin, but putting both sticks into the bottom left corner. Once the spin is developed, make it go flat by moving the aileron stick to the right (cross controlling). The model will transition to a flat spin, and lock into it.

To recover, put the sticks into the position you used to enter the
conventional spin (both bottom left in this instance), and HOLD THEM THERE, for approx 1 1/2 turns (or longer) to "break" the flat spin. This transitions the flat spin back to a conventional spin, and then releasing the controls will stop that spin. The important part is that it takes about 1 1/2 turns to break the flat spin, and if you "flail" the syicks around the box, or release early, it will not break the flat spin. A telltale sign that it is out of the Flat, is the rotation rate, suddenly, increases.

BTW, this works in "real life" also, and is the std technique you should use.