Community
Search
Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

Jets in RC Sims

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 10:40 AM
Ray Davis
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jets in RC Sims

My interest is trurbine-powered models (I've an Avonds 15 and Comp-ARF Eurosport, both AMT 400 powered, and a Spider Jets F-16 w/ an AMT 180SP. 40-pounds and 20-pounds thrust, respectively).

I purchased AFPD in January more for its reputed realism/physics than anything....I want a sim to truly replicate the RC experience. G3 was not ready, relatively poor support, no free downloads/updates; I couldn't get enough first-hand info re MRCs Reflex XTR, though I've come to understand it has stunning graphics, maybe the best physics on some models, etc. I'd give it a fairer look next time around.

Regardless, I was initially blown away w/ everything about AFPD on my (updated) computer, though it fast became apparent most 2D models are way too easy to fly; the T-Bird 16, for example. After considerable experimenting/editing and forum advice, however, I can say that the AFPD 16 now very closely emulates the SJ 16 at my local flying site. My mind's eye and memory tell me the only real differences are the limited view and two-dimensional display. Speed, distance out, flight manuevers, and esp. approach and landings are spot on. Feels like I could go right out- after a winter of no flying- and be better than ever immediately. No doubt a bit of an eye-opener coming up in a month(!), but certainly I won't have to learn all over again as in years past.

Last night, I downloaded the new free Eurofighter for AFPD. Very nice, but like the T-Bird, will need editing to really simulate the model. I've no doubt that in a few weeks, however, I will feel the same about the ES as I do the edited 16: They are excellent simulations of our turbine-powered models, truly worthwhile in keeping our skills up, growing confident in learning new manuevers....and in helping to keep the actual models in one piece!

See the Ikarus Support Forum above for my detailed comments re the new EF, and for the T-Bird edits (3/28/05).

Ray