Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Flight Simulator Software
Reload this Page >

G3 and AFPD - Not again!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

G3 and AFPD - Not again!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2005, 01:35 PM
Ross Kean

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G3 and AFPD - Not again!!

OK, I know that this is one more in a long series of comparisons between these competing simulators. I have been following several of these threads for most of a year and have finally come to the conclusion that I really need to get a simulator for practice over the winter. I have not, however, concluded which simulator would be best for me.

In most of the earlier threads, it seems that the AFPD sim was a hands-down favorite but more recent threads seem to put G3 at least on par. Have upgrades and patches improved G3 that much? Perhaps someone could answer this and a few other questions for me? Note: I have a friend with Reflex but I wasn't awfully impressed with the "feel". I have played with AFPD and preferred it so I would like to limit the comparison to G3 and AFPD. I have not tried G3 although I spent an hour or two with G2.

1) I am interested in doing some float flying this year and was wondering if there are reasonably realistic models available for either of these? I would love to be able to practice with a flying boat model such as a Seamaster!
2) Although most of my flying has been with 40-size (glow) sport aircraft, I am interested in some indoor (and outdoor) electrics. Who offers the best simulation for small (indoor) or larger (outdoor) electrics?
3) A lot of people seem to like the multi-player capability of G3. Any comments on two flyers on the same computer and/or "on-line" multiplayer operation?
4) Aircraft variety - I appreciate that aircraft can be edited by these programs to get the desired flight characteristics but which sim has the best variety of planes available? It seems to me that AFPD has a lot more aircraft supplied with the sim and Realflight wants you to buy their "add-ons" to improve your hangar. What about internet downloads?
5) Which manufacturer seems to have the greatest committment to continuous improvement? Nothing is more annoying than software suppliers who leave you high and dry once you have purchased their product. Rather than improving the old product, they introduce a "new" revision that they will happily sell you (at near full price). Should one wait for G4 or Aerofly Pro Super Deluxe?
6) I have never flown a helicopter but would like to play around with one. I have read that Reflex is the best? but was wondering how G3 and AFPD compared to Reflex (and to each other) for helis.
7) In the relatively little time I have spent on sims, I found that the most difficult thing to simulate is landing. I find it MUCH more difficult than at the field due to getting a realistic perspective. Since landing is probably the one thing that I need to practice the most, which sim is better for this?

I suspect that I wouldn't be terribly unhappy with any of the top three sims and I figure I could save about a million dollars with virtual crashes with any of them. Just looking for some additional perspectives before I buy.

Thanks

Ross
Old 12-26-2005, 02:03 PM
bryris

Default RE: G3 and AFPD - Not again!!

I just purchased G3 today - should be here in a week or so. Was expecting it for Christmas, but Santa let me down this year. Oh well, I just bought it for myself because I wanted it pretty badly.

I did a lot of reading on them both and as with any close comparison, you'll hear a few outliers on both sides that will say the other one "is horrible". You'll hear some who basically favor what they have, and you'll hear some who say each has certain advantages, and you'll hear some say they are essentially the same.

So, it came down to just making a decision. Most of the guys at my field who have sims have some variation of RealFlight, so I went with it and won't worry about my decision until it comes time to make another (when there is another version out that justifies an upgrade).
Old 12-27-2005, 12:41 AM
Rick Delten

Both sims have excellent graphics and physics.

For me the deal breaker has always been online MULTIPLAYER -G3 has it AFPD doesnt. Their are many dedicated servers allowing up to 20 flyers at a time and it is so much more fun than flying solo, I fly online at least 1-2hours every night!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us55304.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	376167  
Old 12-27-2005, 02:09 AM
matt3D

I have afp(d) and it's awsome... from planes to hellis its good all around! Awsome graphics/simulation! I hope someday ikarus makes a sim playable online. I played g3 at hobby town and it was pretty cool but I could only fly the dang trainer... I asked the guy if he could put on something like the yak and he said no. (The mouse of the computer was behind the counter.

Matt
Old 12-27-2005, 10:45 AM
scolpit

AFPD is almost perfect. The only thing bad is no online option[]
Old 12-27-2005, 02:19 PM
Max1
My Feedback: (14)

yes AFPD is a great unit..i love mine[8D]
Old 12-28-2005, 06:06 AM
ALMA

Is there then a live whitout AFPD???[sm=lol.gif]
Old 01-24-2006, 08:30 PM
Evanator

G3 is pretty good too!!!!!!! does any one care about the classics?!!!!!!![sm=disappointed.gif][sm=disappointed.gif]