Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Flight Simulator Software
Reload this Page >

updating your installed simulator

Community
Search
Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

updating your installed simulator

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 04:37 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default updating your installed simulator

Any of you on dialup?

You tried to update your simulator online by clicking that little button that shows up when you launch your sim?

Anybody on dialup tried to update to the latest patch/update for G3.5 yet?

Old 02-04-2007, 12:08 PM
CanCanCase

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: updating your installed simulator

I know several folks who did the G3 -> G3.5 Update/Upgrade via dialup... it seemed to work fine when 3.5 was first released, but I know KE has had online updating issues since then. The last I checked, you could also get a file download that would do the patch update (instead of using the launcher to update) but it was only listing version 3.5.033 (the crummy one) and not 3.5.044 (the good one that's now public via the launcher. Makes it kinda hard to borrow someone's high-speed to d/l the update and burn a disc...

Personally, I haven't used anything slower than a 2MB connection in years, but I can certainly sympathize with the dial-up crowd...

-Case
Old 02-04-2007, 09:49 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: updating your installed simulator

What's most annoying is they don't even hint how big the update is. So people on dialup have no clue if it's even worth attempting.

I've had a number of ISPs over the years. Every one of them would hangup if the only activity was a download for something like 15-20 minutes. So what you had to do was come back every so often and do something, anything that involved surfing. Only problem was that the time interval wasn't guaranteed. Sometimes they'd hangup in 10 minutes or five. And you had to keep that crap up for hours. And be lucky. And then download applications showed up. And you got to pay for an application that might or might not work on your ISP or with the download site.

Cable has gotten out here now. So I'm going to RoadRunner soon. But I've got to believe that a ton of people are still on dialup. Wish the software developers would remember that.

BTW, I've followed the entire G3 update saga. I had to jump through hoops to get a handmade CD from them for the first. They were ultimately nice about it, but that still leaves out most people. And about all they've done that I've found is a download link. So you can get a friend with highspeed to download and copy to a CD for you, if you've got a friend who can. They're offering RF3_50_033 right now, as you mentioned. It's 260MB. My dl rate with luck is about 7kb/sec. That means about 11-12 hours. If I had actually wanted that one, and started the download, it might be about done in time to get this latest one.