Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Flight Simulator Software
Reload this Page >

Windows 2000 and Futaba Interface

Community
Search
Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

Windows 2000 and Futaba Interface

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2002, 05:58 PM
MiL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windows 2000 and Futaba Interface

I hope this hasn't been asked and answered a hundred times already, i did a quick search and didnt find any threads quite like this, so here goes...

I'm running Windows 2000 and have been using FMS with a microsoft sidewinder pro joystick (the stick has a throttle slider and twists for rudder control) which has helped my flying a fair amount believe it or not. But i'm just dying to hook up my futaba TX to the computer so i can get some serious practice in.

The problem is, i've heard that there are problems with FMS TX interfaces and windows 2000, is this true? If at all possible, i would prefer an interface that plugs into the gameport connector on my Soundblaster Live soundcard. I've read that the printer port interfaces are not as accurate and refresh at a lower rate, which i beleive because the printer port is an extremely old design and low performance interface.

Anyway, if anyone could point me to an interface cord that meets these requirements, or tell me what i need to do, that would be great. Also, if possible i would like the cord to work with RFG2 in case i ever decide that it's worth the extra money.

Thanks!
MiL
Old 02-19-2002, 06:08 PM
bluesky123
My Feedback: (2)

MiL,
Have you looked at the official FMS Forum:
http://cgi.ethz.ch/~mmoeller/cgi-bin.../ikonboard.cgi
They have the whole section for Joystick interfaces.

The problem with parallel/serial FMS interface cables is that FMS cannot access them in any NT-type OS (Windows NT, 2000, XP), so, these interface options are disabled in FMS under W2k.

The only two cable types working under W2k are:
1) FMS specific PIC based cable, whose main advantage is that it provides as many proportional channels as your TX has (up to 8).
2) TX-to-Joystick cable. Disadvantage - only 4 proportional channels (no good for heli dudes); advantage - works with any sim, including RealFlight and all other Windows based sims, which support joystick control.
I'm flying with such joystick interface in Windows 2000 with ease.

Boris
Old 02-19-2002, 06:37 PM
MiL

Thanks for the reply, the 2nd option sounds great, where did you get yours?
Old 02-19-2002, 08:50 PM
Lightfoot
My Feedback: (1)

Default Construction Article

There is an article on my web page that gives detailed instructions on modifying an old transmitter or buddy box for use as a controller. I have bought several old Futaba transmitters for as little as $15 delivered and converted them. I have never had a problem with one, even on Windows 2000.

Howard
Old 02-20-2002, 02:54 AM
maverick
My Feedback: (12)

You need an RC Joy from Lew Engineering. See:

http://www.leweng.com/

Allows you to use your Tx and the OS thinks it is a joystick. It plugs into the USB port on your PC. I am using one with a Futaba Tx and both FMS and CockpitMaster.

Works great!