Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Flight Simulator Software
Reload this Page >

RF G2 on XBOX or PS2

Community
Search
Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

RF G2 on XBOX or PS2

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2003, 04:40 PM
Chunk1227

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RF G2 on XBOX or PS2

Does anybody know if Great Planes has ever looked into getting Real Flight into a XBOX or Playstation2 format? My computer sucks and I wouldn't dare try running G2 on it. I think I would like the simulator better anyway if I could run it on my TV instead of a small computer screen.
Chunk
Old 04-27-2003, 12:07 PM
runover1
My Feedback: (10)

I agree. As a PS2 gamer, I would love it in that format. As far as the controller, PS2 already has USB. I would guess the only thing they would have to do is get licensing.
Old 04-27-2003, 12:19 PM
TimC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This would seem like a no brainer. Great Planes would sell a bunch more of the sims, and it would eventually bring a lot more folks into the hobby. A cheaper version that used the P S controller would probably work. I'm betting if a small company like Great Planes approached Sony with the idea, Sony would just market their own version without even a thanks.
Old 04-27-2003, 12:45 PM
edberry22

X-Box person here, and I think this would be an awsome idea for Great planes to explore. My 15" screen tends to strain these old eyes a bit.....now play and learn on a 27" would be almost better then sex.
Old 04-27-2003, 07:08 PM
Elwood
My Feedback: (2)

I don't think this is a good idea. G2 uses so much of a PC to make it as realistic as possible. If it were dumbed down A LOT, it would be OK.

Now the other question, would Sony or Microsoft be interested in such a small market?
Old 04-27-2003, 09:22 PM
jtholley03
My Feedback: (4)

Default Count Me in on PS2

I have a projector and did hook the computer up to my 220" picture. But it was a bit pixelated. Wish they would throw it on PS2 and Xbox. Someone should throw this thread into the suggestions for Real Flite once it gets bigger.
Old 04-28-2003, 12:40 AM
runover1
My Feedback: (10)

Elwood:
I do believe it is possibel though. Look at games like Ace Combat 4 and SOCOM, they need a lot of speed and are phenominal.
Old 04-28-2003, 11:40 AM
Chunk1227

I don't think the sim would have to be "dumbed down" much for the PS2 or XBOX. I can't speak for the PS2 but I know the XBOX has something like a Pentium 2 in it which would be plenty to run a sim. Also, I have already emailed my idea to Great Planes. I guess they are too busy to reply.
Chunk
Old 04-28-2003, 05:14 PM
Zeplin_429

I don't think they would have to worry about the market personally, sure it would appeal to the people in the hobby, but as for the ps2, the controller has 2 joysticks they could prolly program to use for the 4 basic controls and some buttons for gear retracts and stuff(never played etheir if these so im not sure how the are programmed and stuff). Lots of people that arn't in the hobby would probably just see it as a cool game and would buy it, I think their is like an rc helecopter racing game out for ps2, donno how realistic it is, but people would probably have fun. Plus it has the usb imputs so you could problably wire your radio up to it, I think its a great idea, the only problem would be the price, they would probably have to bring it down alot to get the market of gamers on top of the RCers.
Old 04-28-2003, 05:22 PM
Chunk1227

You are correct about the price. But thats the thing as you sell more units, the cost of overhead per unit goes down. I think the cost of RF is ridiculously high. There is no way that more money and man power has gone into making RF as there has been for making a $50 XBOX game such as Halo.
Chunk
Old 04-28-2003, 08:17 PM
Confuzed

Originally posted by Chunk1227
I can't speak for the PS2 but I know the XBOX has something like a Pentium 2 in it which would be plenty to run a sim.
I believe the XBox is based on a 733MHz P3, but I know it has an nVidia chipset and - most importantly - a very tasty nVidia graphics chip. It has more than enough power to run any of the sims you can mention, but the investment would never pay off (licence fees and development time aren't cheap).

The PS2 would also be capable of running the sims without breaking in to a sweat, but the development cost would be much greater due to the more obscure programming interface employed by the machine's OS.

If you hadn't already guessed... I'm a programmer
Old 04-28-2003, 08:22 PM
Confuzed

Originally posted by Zeplin_429
I think their is like an rc helecopter racing game out for ps2
I can't remember the name, but I recall reading about that before.

On the original PlayStation there is a game called R/C Stunt Copter, which I've played. I'm told it is reasonably realistic (I haven't flown the real thing yet). For me the biggest problem was the controller - there's a huge dead area on the sticks so it is impossible to be light on the controls. Also the area they can move is circular, unlike a real Tx.