Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Flight Simulator Software
Reload this Page >

Simulators and vista??? Need some help

Community
Search
Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

Simulators and vista??? Need some help

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 04:43 PM
mmurray70

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Simulators and vista??? Need some help

I plan on buying a trainer this spring so i picked up a usb transmitter from e-bay to play around with. I tried installing FMS beta 7 and when I did I got an error saying that it was missing a DLL file. After some research i found out that this is common with windows vista and i can download this file and install it manually, so i did this and the program loads. But the graphics are all messed up. Constantly flashing and background dissappears. Did some more research and it seems that this happens when you have nvidia video cards. I can get it to work by turning the textures off in the graphics menu but then the graphics are total crap. I read one post about running virual PC and installing windows XP on this, so i tried that, program loads, graphics are good, little slow but not bad. But unfortunatly my transmitter wont work.

I spend most of the day with this and im getting nowhere. Can anybody help me out? Are there any other free simulators? Is there any other way i can get fms to work on windows vista?
Old 10-06-2008, 08:40 PM
flyX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Simulators and vista??? Need some help

I take it, you have an Nvidia vedio card with Vista.
There's a clitch but I figured out a work around.
To get the flashing to stop simple turn off the texture...lol that's no good.

Here's something better.

Uninstall 2.7 before you load 2.8.

Drag the model folder out of 2.7 fms programfiles/fms/model.
This way you can still use those models.

Load 2.8 version of FMS. You can get it from the FMS site.
This will allow you to use photolistic scneries. 2.7 won't

You must convert the 6 images (skybox) into .BMP files.
Use any art software. Such as GIMP , Artweaver, windows paint ot Batch converter.

The simple works around is just using incorrrect image size for the bottom panel.. ( image #5 in my files)
For some reason nvidia is trying project this image backwards....therefore cuasing the flashing.
I basically turned it off by using the wrong size image. It bascailly won't get display.
You don't see it most of the time anyway.

If you resize all the terrain images in 3d landscape...the flashing will disappear too...but that's no good.lol

The files I'm linking has it already...All you need to do is change the images from .jpg to .bmp.
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?udjzz3dtjjn

TURN OFF THE FOG.
TRUN OFF THE FIXED CAMERA
TRUN OFF THE MIPMAPPING
TRUN OFF THE TRUE ALPHA.
ZOOM OUT to proper veiw from the defualt setting

These are the features you must turn off when not using 3D landscaping.

Just drag the folder out of the ZIP.
Then just change the file path when you select load scenery in FMS.
You don't need to import these folders into FMS.

If you go to the FMs site and do a little reseach. i posted plenty of threads of how to create photlistic scneries for FMS.

You can also try this new sim...I can't figure out how to turn off the autozoom...therefore it feels extreemly awkward for me.
You can also use this sim to convert EQUIRECTANGULAR. You can retrieve third party's sceneries of Reflex from rc-sim
http://www.leobueno.net/

Heli-x is also a freeware.
There's links to sceneries download from heli-x.net.
Harald has hunreds.
Harald also made sceneries for FMS. The files are in .jpg.....becuase .bmp are denser. It's 90mb @2048 per scenery.
Do the samething....Resize the bottom panel to 2050x2050

You can also resize the images to 1024x1024 if you don't have enough room.

There's also CRRCsim

These are all freeware.

Good luck and welcome to the world of R/C.